The existence of god implies a violation of causality.

devel / comp.lang.c++ / Re: OT: Re: C++ in middle english

SubjectAuthor
* C++ in middle englishMuttley
+* Re: C++ in middle englishPavel
|`* Re: C++ in middle englishMuttley
| +* Re: C++ in middle englishMichael S
| |+- Re: C++ in middle englishMuttley
| |`* Re: C++ in middle englishDavid Brown
| | +* Re: C++ in middle englishMuttley
| | |`* Re: C++ in middle englishDavid Brown
| | | `- Re: C++ in middle englishMuttley
| | `* Re: C++ in middle englishMichael S
| |  `* Re: C++ in middle englishKeith Thompson
| |   +- Re: C++ in middle englishMuttley
| |   `* Re: C++ in middle englishDavid Brown
| |    `* Re: C++ in middle englishKalevi Kolttonen
| |     `* Re: C++ in middle englishDavid Brown
| |      +* Re: C++ in middle englishKalevi Kolttonen
| |      |`* OT: Re: C++ in middle englishVir Campestris
| |      | +- Re: OT: Re: C++ in middle englishDavid Brown
| |      | `* Re: OT: Re: C++ in middle englishMuttley
| |      |  `* Re: OT: Re: C++ in middle englishDavid Brown
| |      |   `- Re: OT: Re: C++ in middle englishMuttley
| |      `- Re: C++ in middle englishMuttley
| `* Re: C++ in middle englishDavid Brown
|  `* Re: C++ in middle englishMuttley
|   `* Re: C++ in middle englishDavid Brown
|    `* Re: C++ in middle englishMuttley
|     `- Re: C++ in middle englishDavid Brown
`- Re: C++ in middle englishChris M. Thomasson

Pages:12
Re: OT: Re: C++ in middle english

<u5527d$211ba$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=314&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B#314

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Subject: Re: OT: Re: C++ in middle english
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 14:46:05 -0000 (UTC)
<87h6rxxryn.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> <u4vd2v$rut6$1@dont-email.me>
<u52hen$1geq1$1@dont-email.me> <u52nl9$1htbt$1@dont-email.me>
<u52ppb$1ifm1$1@dont-email.me>
<u54hh9$1uq18$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Tue, 30 May 2023 14:46 UTC

On Tue, 30 May 2023 11:01:13 +0100
Vir Campestris <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>On 29/05/2023 19:09, Kalevi Kolttonen wrote:
>> Well, not really. The texts were rather short. One A4 sheet
>> at most.
>>
>> I remember that the teacher liked my translations, but all
>> of it would have been impossible without the dictionary.
>
>I studied French at school, and did a few years of Latin. Italian
>Spanish and German aren't complete black holes either - I can sometimes
>guess what that road sign means... the fact that my wife is a linguist
>helps.
>
>But Finnish? You have a different language. It means almost nothing to
>me. Coming from that as your native tongue to the level you are in
>English to the fluency that you have is really impressive.
>
>The other end of the scale is an ex-colleague of mine who worked in
>Germany for several years, and didn't learn the language. My reaction
>wasn't "Why?" but "How?". Given all the signs, menus, and everything
>else written around you how could you not pick some up?

I have a friend who's lived in Finland for 15 years and still can't
speak a word of Finnish. Whenever I ask him how its going I get some
mumbling about not got the time. Huh? IMO he's just lazy since because a lot
of people in Finland speak english he doesn't have to bother speaking
finnish.

Re: OT: Re: C++ in middle english

<u55fde$22j5o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=315&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B#315

From: david.brown@hesbynett.no (David Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 20:31:10 +0200
<87h6rxxryn.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> <u4vd2v$rut6$1@dont-email.me>
<u52hen$1geq1$1@dont-email.me> <u52nl9$1htbt$1@dont-email.me>
<u52ppb$1ifm1$1@dont-email.me> <u54hh9$1uq18$1@dont-email.me>
<u5527d$211ba$1@dont-email.me>
 by: David Brown - Tue, 30 May 2023 18:31 UTC

On 30/05/2023 16:46, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Tue, 30 May 2023 11:01:13 +0100
> Vir Campestris <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 29/05/2023 19:09, Kalevi Kolttonen wrote:
>>> Well, not really. The texts were rather short. One A4 sheet
>>> at most.
>>>
>>> I remember that the teacher liked my translations, but all
>>> of it would have been impossible without the dictionary.
>>
>> I studied French at school, and did a few years of Latin. Italian
>> Spanish and German aren't complete black holes either - I can sometimes
>> guess what that road sign means... the fact that my wife is a linguist
>> helps.
>>
>> But Finnish? You have a different language. It means almost nothing to
>> me. Coming from that as your native tongue to the level you are in
>> English to the fluency that you have is really impressive.
>>
>> The other end of the scale is an ex-colleague of mine who worked in
>> Germany for several years, and didn't learn the language. My reaction
>> wasn't "Why?" but "How?". Given all the signs, menus, and everything
>> else written around you how could you not pick some up?
>
> I have a friend who's lived in Finland for 15 years and still can't
> speak a word of Finnish. Whenever I ask him how its going I get some
> mumbling about not got the time. Huh? IMO he's just lazy since because a lot
> of people in Finland speak english he doesn't have to bother speaking
> finnish.

It is easier for a Finnish speaker to learn English, than vice versa,
due to the different kinds of language and grammar (English is a very
analytic language - it uses pronouns, helper verbs, and separate words.
Finnish is very synthetic, meaning different tenses or pronouns get
combined within a single long constructed word).

It is also easier to learn another language when you are younger - Finns
learn English from a young age at school, while few non-Finns learn
Finnish at school. And outside school, Finns meet a lot of English in
daily life, such as internet use - non-Finns only see Finnish in
internet memes about how hard it is to learn Finnish.

Still, I think if you live in a different country it is important to try
to learn the language, even if you never really master it.

Re: OT: Re: C++ in middle english

<u56thb$2baa9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=317&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B#317

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 07:38:19 -0000 (UTC)
<87h6rxxryn.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> <u4vd2v$rut6$1@dont-email.me>
<u52hen$1geq1$1@dont-email.me> <u52nl9$1htbt$1@dont-email.me>
<u52ppb$1ifm1$1@dont-email.me> <u54hh9$1uq18$1@dont-email.me>
<u5527d$211ba$1@dont-email.me>
<u55fde$22j5o$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Wed, 31 May 2023 07:38 UTC

On Tue, 30 May 2023 20:31:10 +0200
David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no> wrote:
>On 30/05/2023 16:46, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>It is also easier to learn another language when you are younger - Finns
>learn English from a young age at school, while few non-Finns learn
>Finnish at school. And outside school, Finns meet a lot of English in
>daily life, such as internet use - non-Finns only see Finnish in
>internet memes about how hard it is to learn Finnish.
>
>Still, I think if you live in a different country it is important to try
>to learn the language, even if you never really master it.

Completely agree. I've spent the last 10 years relearning french after
a 20 year gap from school and I know I'll never be fluent in it but I can
get by in conversation and I'm quite good at reading. If you make the effort
you get the results.