Equal bytes for women.

devel / comp.lang.fortran / Re: A Modern Fortran Scientific Programming Ecosystem

SubjectAuthor
* A Modern Fortran Scientific Programming EcosystemBeliavsky
+* Re: A Modern Fortran Scientific Programming EcosystemLynn McGuire
|`- Re: A Modern Fortran Scientific Programming EcosystemBeliavsky
`* Re: A Modern Fortran Scientific Programming Ecosystempehache
 +- Re: A Modern Fortran Scientific Programming EcosystemNasser M. Abbasi
 `* Re: A Modern Fortran Scientific Programming EcosystemAmir Shahmoradi
  `- Re: A Modern Fortran Scientific Programming Ecosystempehache

1
A Modern Fortran Scientific Programming Ecosystem

<1d4dfbf4-6bd6-45bd-8526-30187606cb65n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2953&group=comp.lang.fortran#2953

Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 11:41:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: A Modern Fortran Scientific Programming Ecosystem
From: beliavsky@aol.com (Beliavsky)
 by: Beliavsky - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 18:41 UTC

https://degenerateconic.com/a-modern-fortran-scientific-programming-ecosystem.html
A Modern Fortran Scientific Programming Ecosystem
Oct 12, 2022

Historically, large general-purpose libraries have formed the core of the Fortran scientific ecosystem (e.g., SLATEC, or the various PACKS). Unfortunately, as I have mentioned here before, these libraries were written in FORTRAN 77 (or earlier) and remained unmodified for decades. The amazing algorithms continued within them imprisoned in a terrible format that nobody wants to deal with anymore. At the time they were written, they were state of the art. Now they are relics of the past, a reminder of what might have been if they had continued to be maintained and Fortran had continued to remain the primary scientific and technical programming language.

Over the last few years, I've managed to build up a pretty good set of modern Fortran libraries for technical computing. Some are original, but a lot of them include modernized code from the libraries written decades ago. The codes still work great (polyroots-fortran contains a modernized version of a routine written 50 years old), but they just needed a little bit of cleanup and polish to be presentable to modern programmers as something other than ancient legacy to be tolerated but not well maintained (which is how Fortran is treated in the SciPy ecosystem).

Re: A Modern Fortran Scientific Programming Ecosystem

<tiabcu$1t82v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2959&group=comp.lang.fortran#2959

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 19:44:13 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 00:44 UTC

On 10/13/2022 1:41 PM, Beliavsky wrote:
> https://degenerateconic.com/a-modern-fortran-scientific-programming-ecosystem.html
> A Modern Fortran Scientific Programming Ecosystem
> Oct 12, 2022
>
> Historically, large general-purpose libraries have formed the core of the Fortran scientific ecosystem (e.g., SLATEC, or the various PACKS). Unfortunately, as I have mentioned here before, these libraries were written in FORTRAN 77 (or earlier) and remained unmodified for decades. The amazing algorithms continued within them imprisoned in a terrible format that nobody wants to deal with anymore. At the time they were written, they were state of the art. Now they are relics of the past, a reminder of what might have been if they had continued to be maintained and Fortran had continued to remain the primary scientific and technical programming language.
>
> Over the last few years, I've managed to build up a pretty good set of modern Fortran libraries for technical computing. Some are original, but a lot of them include modernized code from the libraries written decades ago. The codes still work great (polyroots-fortran contains a modernized version of a routine written 50 years old), but they just needed a little bit of cleanup and polish to be presentable to modern programmers as something other than ancient legacy to be tolerated but not well maintained (which is how Fortran is treated in the SciPy ecosystem).

Which Fortran compiler and linker on which platform do you work with
nowaday ? IDE ?

Thanks,
Lynn

Re: A Modern Fortran Scientific Programming Ecosystem

<c41c10f4-0db2-4d71-813a-5ddcd7b4b2d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2960&group=comp.lang.fortran#2960

Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 20:11:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: beliavsky@aol.com (Beliavsky)
 by: Beliavsky - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 03:11 UTC

On Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 8:44:18 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Which Fortran compiler and linker on which platform do you work with
> nowaday ? IDE ?
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn

I'm the OP but not the author of the linked blog post or of the software discussed.

I use gfortran and Intel Fortran on Windows and WSL2 using Emacs or Epsilon, a commercial Emacs-like editor.

Re: A Modern Fortran Scientific Programming Ecosystem

<jqsgjuFlscdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2963&group=comp.lang.fortran#2963

From: pehache.7@gmail.com (pehache)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 09:15:09 +0200
 by: pehache - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 07:15 UTC

Le 13/10/2022 à 20:41, Beliavsky a écrit :

> a lot of them include modernized code from the libraries written decades ago. The codes still work great (polyroots-fortran contains a modernized version of a routine written 50 years old), but they just needed a little bit of cleanup and polish to be presentable to modern programmers

Actually I don't the point updating legacy code, even if it is
fixed-form pure F77, unless one wants to add new features/options/etc...

Especially when the authors also writes:

"[Fortran] is great for technical and numerical codes that need to run
fast and are intended to be used for decades. The libraries listed above
will not stop working in a few years. An extremely complicated Fortran
application can be recompiled with just a Fortran compiler. You cannot
say the same for anything written in the Python scientific ecosystem,
which is a Frankenstein hybrid of a scripting language hacked together
with a pile of C/C++/Fortran libraries compiled by somebody else. Good
luck trying to run Python you write now 20 years from now (or trying to
run something written 20 years ago)."

Which is true... In fact all Fortran evolution is tied to be able to
continue using legacy codes without constantly having to update them.
Hence "what's the point updating them?".

What the legacy libraries deserve are modern interfaces and possibly
wrappers, which does not require updating the core codes.

--
"...sois ouvert aux idées des autres pour peu qu'elles aillent dans le
même sens que les tiennes.", ST sur fr.bio.medecine

Re: A Modern Fortran Scientific Programming Ecosystem

<tic7t1$ls7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2971&group=comp.lang.fortran#2971

From: nma@12000.org (Nasser M. Abbasi)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 12:56:48 -0500
 by: Nasser M. Abbasi - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 17:56 UTC

On 10/14/2022 2:15 AM, pehache wrote:

> What the legacy libraries deserve are modern interfaces and possibly
> wrappers, which does not require updating the core codes.

But isn't this what Matlab does?

Matlab basically makes it easy to use Fortran, which is
what most Matlab calls end up doing under the cover.

That what made Matlab so popular.

--Nasser

Re: A Modern Fortran Scientific Programming Ecosystem

<d9b9058f-91ad-4f50-8673-f065bdc0e09an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2984&group=comp.lang.fortran#2984

Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 22:51:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: a.shahmoradi@gmail.com (Amir Shahmoradi)
 by: Amir Shahmoradi - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 05:51 UTC

On Friday, October 14, 2022 at 2:15:14 AM UTC-5, pehache wrote:

> Actually I don't the point updating legacy code, even if it is
fixed-form pure F77, unless one wants to add new features/options/etc...

If the codes are not modernized, no one dares improve them. Instead, people tend to start new projects from scratch in different languages, cursing Fortran (77) on the way out. IMO, Jacob's work is quite a valuable first step toward the further development of these dormant packages. Of course, it takes a lot of testing and time to bring confidence into the modernized libraries and more to extend the existing functionalities.

Re: A Modern Fortran Scientific Programming Ecosystem

<jr2l3lFljmvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2991&group=comp.lang.fortran#2991

From: pehache.7@gmail.com (pehache)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 17:08:37 +0200
 by: pehache - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 15:08 UTC

Le 15/10/2022 à 07:51, Amir Shahmoradi a écrit :

> Of course, it takes a lot of testing and time to bring confidence into
the modernized libraries...

That's a big part of the problem. I use LAPACK on a regular basis, and I
wouldn't really want to use a "modernized" version (I mean with a
rewritten code) that would not bring a feature that I need.