This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough hunchbacks.

devel / comp.lang.fortran / Re: how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion tool on Windows

SubjectAuthor
* how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion tool on WindowsLynn McGuire
+- Re: how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion tool on WindowsLynn McGuire
+* Re: how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion tool on WindowsChristian Gollwitzer
|`- Re: how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion tool on WindowsLynn McGuire
`* Re: how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion tool on WindowsDFS
 `- Re: how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion tool on WindowsLynn McGuire

1
how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion tool on Windows

<tg0u44$3iq1a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2891&group=comp.lang.fortran#2891

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran,comp.lang.c++
Subject: how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion tool on Windows
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 23:29:55 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 04:29 UTC

I cannot figure out how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion tool
on Windows. They made a Windows port back in 2015 but I have not been
able to find the files so far. I really hoping that I do not have to
build a linux box.
https://github.com/cctbx/cctbx_project/tree/master/fable

The problem is that the FABLE tool is actually part of another software
package and it is written in Python. It seems that some of the
initialization files are missing. Does anyone here have experience with
FABLE on Windows ?

Thanks,
Lynn

Re: how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion tool on Windows

<tg0ucd$3iq1a$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2892&group=comp.lang.fortran#2892

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran,comp.lang.c++
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 23:34:21 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 04:34 UTC

On 9/15/2022 11:29 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> I cannot figure out how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion tool
> on Windows.  They made a Windows port back in 2015 but I have not been
> able to find the files so far.  I really hoping that I do not have to
> build a linux box.
>    https://github.com/cctbx/cctbx_project/tree/master/fable
>
> The problem is that the FABLE tool is actually part of another software
> package and it is written in Python.  It seems that some of the
> initialization files are missing.  Does anyone here have experience with
> FABLE on Windows ?
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn

Sorry, I forgot to mention the original site for FABLE:
https://cci.lbl.gov/fable/
and
https://www.osti.gov/biblio/1256083
and
https://scfbm.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1751-0473-7-5

Thanks,
Lynn

Re: how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion tool on Windows

<tg17ls$3kkr7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2893&group=comp.lang.fortran#2893

From: auriocus@gmx.de (Christian Gollwitzer)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran,comp.lang.c++
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 09:12:59 +0200
 by: Christian Gollwitzer - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 07:12 UTC

Am 16.09.22 um 06:29 schrieb Lynn McGuire:
> I cannot figure out how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion tool
> on Windows.  They made a Windows port back in 2015 but I have not been
> able to find the files so far.  I really hoping that I do not have to
> build a linux box.
>    https://github.com/cctbx/cctbx_project/tree/master/fable

Hi Lynn,
I have no experience with this software, but I know Python I had a look
at it. I have rarely seen a more confusing build procedure, even for
Unix standards. The repository is not organized very well, and I predict
that even under Unix, you would have a lot of fun to actually build this.

The main reason seems to be that fable is kept as a part of this CCTBX
package and both the build system as well as the main Python code uses
facilities from the bigger CCTBX package; therefore I doubt that it is
easily possible to compile and run it on its own, without building CCTBX
first.

On the main page of CCTBX they say that there are builds available in
conda (the Anaconda package manager). If the license is feasible for
you, probably the easiest way will be to install Anaconda and than get
it via conda as described on the CCTBX front page. Or try to rip it off
conda-forge by starting to browse

https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/cctbx-base

Christian

Re: how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion tool on Windows

<ta0VK.175010$9Yp5.103224@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2894&group=comp.lang.fortran#2894

Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran,comp.lang.c++
From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 10:58:34 -0400
 by: DFS - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 14:58 UTC

On 9/16/2022 12:29 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

> I cannot figure out how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion tool
> on Windows.  They made a Windows port back in 2015 but I have not been
> able to find the files so far.  I really hoping that I do not have to
> build a linux box.

I found this in /fable/doc/index.txt in the cctbx source:

- Windows systems (XP or higher)::

Download http://cci.lbl.gov/fable_bundles/current/fable_win_xp.exe
fable_win_xp.exe
fable_build\setpaths.bat
fable.cout --example

The ``fable.cout --example`` command is known to work with gcc 3.2 or
higher, Visual C++ 7.1 or higher, and with recent development versions
of clang++.

or, install the Windows Subsystem for Linux, and you can run any number
of Linux distros virtually.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install

>    https://github.com/cctbx/cctbx_project/tree/master/fable
>
> The problem is that the FABLE tool is actually part of another software
> package and it is written in Python.  It seems that some of the
> initialization files are missing.  Does anyone here have experience with
> FABLE on Windows ?
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn

Re: how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion tool on Windows

<tg2m43$3u6sd$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2895&group=comp.lang.fortran#2895

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran,comp.lang.c++
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:25:37 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 20:25 UTC

On 9/16/2022 2:12 AM, Christian Gollwitzer wrote:
> Am 16.09.22 um 06:29 schrieb Lynn McGuire:
>> I cannot figure out how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion
>> tool on Windows.  They made a Windows port back in 2015 but I have not
>> been able to find the files so far.  I really hoping that I do not
>> have to build a linux box.
>>     https://github.com/cctbx/cctbx_project/tree/master/fable
>>

> Hi Lynn,
> I have no experience with this software, but I know Python I had a look
> at it. I have rarely seen a more confusing build procedure, even for
> Unix standards. The repository is not organized very well, and I predict
> that even under Unix, you would have a lot of fun to actually build this.
>
> The main reason seems to be that fable is kept as a part of this CCTBX
> package and both the build system as well as the main Python code uses
> facilities from the bigger CCTBX package; therefore I doubt that it is
> easily possible to compile and run it on its own, without building CCTBX
> first.
>
> On the main page of CCTBX they say that there are builds available in
> conda (the Anaconda package manager). If the license is feasible for
> you, probably the easiest way will be to install Anaconda and than get
> it via conda as described on the CCTBX front page. Or try to rip it off
> conda-forge by starting to browse
>
> https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/cctbx-base
>
>     Christian

Thanks ! I was trying to stay away from Conda. I was a VMS / Unix
programmer back in the late 1980s and 1990s, I have forgotten much of my
Unix. I have an old 1992 Sun workstation upstairs in the office but I
doubt that it would boot.

Lynn

Re: how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion tool on Windows

<tg2m6q$3u6sd$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2896&group=comp.lang.fortran#2896

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran,comp.lang.c++
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:27:04 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 20:27 UTC

On 9/16/2022 9:58 AM, DFS wrote:
> On 9/16/2022 12:29 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>
>> I cannot figure out how to run this Fortran to C++ FABLE conversion
>> tool on Windows.  They made a Windows port back in 2015 but I have not
>> been able to find the files so far.  I really hoping that I do not
>> have to build a linux box.
>

> I found this in /fable/doc/index.txt in the cctbx source:

> - Windows systems (XP or higher)::
>
>     Download http://cci.lbl.gov/fable_bundles/current/fable_win_xp.exe
>     fable_win_xp.exe
>     fable_build\setpaths.bat
>     fable.cout --example
>
> The ``fable.cout --example`` command is known to work with gcc 3.2 or
> higher, Visual C++ 7.1 or higher, and with recent development versions
> of clang++.
>

> or, install the Windows Subsystem for Linux, and you can run any number
> of Linux distros virtually.
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install
>

>>     https://github.com/cctbx/cctbx_project/tree/master/fable
>>
>> The problem is that the FABLE tool is actually part of another
>> software package and it is written in Python.  It seems that some of
>> the initialization files are missing.  Does anyone here have
>> experience with FABLE on Windows ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lynn

Yes, I already tried that website which seems to be nonfunctional now.

I had not thought about the Windows Subsytem for Linux.

Thanks,
Lynn