From: jj4public@gmail.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
Subject: What's the purpose of dwHotkey in SHELLEXECUTEINFO?
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 17:45:05 +0700
 by: JJ - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 10:45 UTC

The documentation states that it's for associating a hotkey to the
(launched) application. Presumably, for activating the application window,
as stated in the WM_SETHOTKEY documentation.

But the given hotkey never work and has no effect even though the
SEE_MASK_HOTKEY flag is already specified. I've already tried it by running
executing NOTEPAD.EXE with VK_F12 hotkey and with/without the
HOTKEYF_CONTROL flag.

Is that what dwHotkey is supposed to be for? Cause I've never seen an
article covering such feature. i.e. a hotkey to activate the window of an
executed (specific) application. Or the application itself - just like the
hotkey field of a program shortcut file. Also, the executor application
never does receive any SC_HOTKEY code from a WM_SYSCOMMAND window message -
assuming that the dwHotkey is a shortcut for the RegisterHotkey() API
function.

If it's not, what's the purpose of it, and how to use it? Or is it that,
it's applicable for the desktop process only?

Re: What's the purpose of dwHotkey in SHELLEXECUTEINFO?

<sm6kj0$1boq$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=237&group=comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32#237

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 20:20:59 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 19:20 UTC

JJ,

> But the given hotkey never work and has no effect even though the
> SEE_MASK_HOTKEY flag is already specified. I've already tried it by
> running executing NOTEPAD.EXE with VK_F12 hotkey and with/without the
> HOTKEYF_CONTROL flag.

mov [ebx].SEI_dwHotKey,VK_F8
or [ebx].SEI_fMask,SEE_MASK_HOTKEY

I've just added the above to a bit of code using ShellExecuteEx to open
notepad under XPsp3. After I hid or iconified notepad pressing F8 brought
it back up (at the front and focussed).

IOW, I've got no idea why yours doesn't work.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: What's the purpose of dwHotkey in SHELLEXECUTEINFO?

<14ovpq7g93emr.21uw06am9mfa.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=238&group=comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32#238

From: jj4public@gmail.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 13:12:09 +0700
 by: JJ - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 06:12 UTC

On Sat, 6 Nov 2021 20:20:59 +0100, R.Wieser wrote:
> JJ,
>
>> But the given hotkey never work and has no effect even though the
>> SEE_MASK_HOTKEY flag is already specified. I've already tried it by
>> running executing NOTEPAD.EXE with VK_F12 hotkey and with/without the
>> HOTKEYF_CONTROL flag.
>
> mov [ebx].SEI_dwHotKey,VK_F8
> or [ebx].SEI_fMask,SEE_MASK_HOTKEY
>
> I've just added the above to a bit of code using ShellExecuteEx to open
> notepad under XPsp3. After I hid or iconified notepad pressing F8 brought
> it back up (at the front and focussed).
>
> IOW, I've got no idea why yours doesn't work.
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

*&^%$#@!!! Stupid Microsoft!

Apparently, they broke it since NT6 (Vista) and up to the latest Windows 10
build. Tested on clean OS installations in VM. I'm using Win7, so it's the
reason it doesn't work.

It still works fine in Windows 2003 (i.e. NT5.2), Windows XP, and likely
older versions too.

I'm pretty sure it's still broken in the upcoming Windows 11 release build.
I do have the beta builds in VM, but don't bother to test them.

Thanks for the input, BTW.

Re: What's the purpose of dwHotkey in SHELLEXECUTEINFO?

<smanm5$103s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=239&group=comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32#239

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 08:04:45 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 07:04 UTC

JJ,

> *&^%$#@!!! Stupid Microsoft!
>
> Apparently, they broke it since NT6 (Vista) and up to the latest
> Windows 10 build. Tested on clean OS installations in VM. I'm
> using Win7, so it's the reason it doesn't work.

I just checked the docs.microsoft.com for the SHELLEXECUTEINFO structure and
they do not even bother to mention it, even when that breakage is 15 years
old. Stupid Microsoft indeed. :-(

> Thanks for the input, BTW.

You're welcome. And thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser