From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Subject: "Bjarne_Stroustrup’s_Plan_for_Bringing_Safety_t
o_C++"
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 21:34:17 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 02:34 UTC

"Bjarne Stroustrup’s Plan for Bringing Safety to C++"
https://thenewstack.io/bjarne-stroustrups-plan-for-bringing-safety-to-c/

"At the CppCon C++ conference, the C++ creator identified the specific
kinds of safety measures sorely needed in the programming language."

"Early in the presentation, Stroustrup shared a slide titled “Safety is
not just type safety,” highlighting everything from resource leaks and
overflows to memory corruption and timing errors. There’s concurrency
errors, termination errors — and of course, type errors. “Often the
safety mentioned is just memory safety — that’s not enough… And the need
to interoperate with other languages, including C++ and C, tend not to
be mentioned. And the cost of conversion can be ferocious. That’s rarely
mentioned…”"

"“And anyway — which other language? The way I have seen it argued, we
are going to have C++ replaced by about seven different languages, as of
suggestions of about now. By the time it happens — 40 years from now —
we’ll probably have 20 different ones, and they have to interoperate.
This is going to be difficult.”"

Lynn

Re: "Bjarne Stroustrup’s Plan for Bringing Safety to C++"

<HUa0N.265193$2fS.201842@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2318&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B#2318

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
From: branimir.maksimovic@icloud.com (Branimir Maksimovic)
Subject: Re: "Bjarne Stroustrup’s Plan for Bringing
Safety to C++"
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 17:34:31 GMT
 by: Branimir Maksimovic - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 17:34 UTC

On 2023-10-31, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Bjarne Stroustrup’s Plan for Bringing Safety to C++"
> https://thenewstack.io/bjarne-stroustrups-plan-for-bringing-safety-to-c/
>
> "At the CppCon C++ conference, the C++ creator identified the specific
> kinds of safety measures sorely needed in the programming language."
>
> "Early in the presentation, Stroustrup shared a slide titled “Safety is
> not just type safety,” highlighting everything from resource leaks and
> overflows to memory corruption and timing errors. There’s concurrency
> errors, termination errors — and of course, type errors. “Often the
> safety mentioned is just memory safety — that’s not enough… And the need
> to interoperate with other languages, including C++ and C, tend not to
> be mentioned. And the cost of conversion can be ferocious. That’s rarely
> mentioned…”"
>
> "“And anyway — which other language? The way I have seen it argued, we
> are going to have C++ replaced by about seven different languages, as of
> suggestions of about now. By the time it happens — 40 years from now —
> we’ll probably have 20 different ones, and they have to interoperate.
> This is going to be difficult.”"
>
> Lynn

I switched to Rust, as I am retired now :P

--

7-77-777, Evil Sinner!
https://www.linkedin.com/in/branimir-maksimovic-6762bbaa/