Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 04:58:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Preventing further Brainwash by Logtalk
From: bursejan@gmail.com (Mild Shock)
 by: Mild Shock - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 11:58 UTC

Thats probably the most brain damaged nonsense I
have ever seen. Whats the programming pattern?
Inverted control, which inverted again?

Printing messages and asking questions
https://logtalk.org/manuals/userman/printing.html

Nobody uses such nonsense in practice. Neither
Python, nor JavaScript, provide something as absurd
as this "framework". Its kind of a perverted logging

framework, that lacks Internationalization/Localization.
And the bad news is, it goes really back to Quintus Prolog,
you find it here in this documentation:

Quintus Prolog User’s Manual
https://quintus.sics.se/isl/quintus/pdf/quintus.pdf

But its not something that somebody would use in a
modern application. The most horrible section in the
Quintus Prolog User's Manual is the idea to

translate DCG. What can go wrong? You need to
understand the syntax and semantics of DCG to do that.
Ever found a translator that can massage DCGs?

Re: Preventing further Brainwash by Logtalk

<2f7c2601-ee9f-4434-8371-553cf2671722n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2087&group=comp.lang.prolog#2087

Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 05:06:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: bursejan@gmail.com (Mild Shock)
 by: Mild Shock - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 12:06 UTC

The Quintus Prolog User's Manual describes a method that predates
the idea of resource bundles, as found for example Java. It not only
predates that idea, it also shows a different idea. It goes on:

"By default, generate_message/3 sends the
message term through the English message
generator, messages(’english/QU_messages’)."

The misery is then this advice:

To have all messages printed in another language, the basic steps are as follows
1. Take a copy of ‘QU_messages.pl’ and translate all the messages.
2. Test the translated ‘QU_messages.pl’ and then install it
in the Quintus Prolog directory hierarchy.
3. Install or re-install Quintus Prolog to get a version that uses the translated messages.

So there is no locale parameter in the runtime? And there is
no extension mechanism, you need to go into the system folders
and change them? And you cannot build applications, libraries

or systems that offer multiple languages, have bundled multiple
languages. Why, is there not enough memory on the disk
and in the RAM? LoL

Mild Shock schrieb am Freitag, 28. Juli 2023 um 13:58:06 UTC+2:
> Thats probably the most brain damaged nonsense I
> have ever seen. Whats the programming pattern?
> Inverted control, which inverted again?
>
> Printing messages and asking questions
> https://logtalk.org/manuals/userman/printing.html
>
> Nobody uses such nonsense in practice. Neither
> Python, nor JavaScript, provide something as absurd
> as this "framework". Its kind of a perverted logging
>
> framework, that lacks Internationalization/Localization.
> And the bad news is, it goes really back to Quintus Prolog,
> you find it here in this documentation:
>
> Quintus Prolog User’s Manual
> https://quintus.sics.se/isl/quintus/pdf/quintus.pdf
>
> But its not something that somebody would use in a
> modern application. The most horrible section in the
> Quintus Prolog User's Manual is the idea to
>
> translate DCG. What can go wrong? You need to
> understand the syntax and semantics of DCG to do that.
> Ever found a translator that can massage DCGs?

Re: Preventing further Brainwash by Logtalk

<01cc373d-5c46-43bf-a6d8-d9060adce1c7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2088&group=comp.lang.prolog#2088

Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 05:12:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: bursejan@gmail.com (Mild Shock)
 by: Mild Shock - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 12:12 UTC

Now I have added the power of resources bundles, through
a very simple new 100% pure Prolog solution to Dogelog Player,
which I am currently backporting to formerly Jekejeke Prolog.

One can try the following in Example 02: Website Sandbox:

?- X is 1/0.
Error: Division by zero.
user:1

?- set_prolog_flag(sys_locale, de_CH).
true.

?- X is 1/0.
Fehler: Nulldivision.
user:2

Very beautiful and very simple! Not the brainless Quintus
copypasta of Logtalk. Whats the competence behing Logtalk?
Is it a demonstration of how to be stupid, dumb and uninspired?