: is not an identifier

devel / comp.lang.c++ / Re: SMLX 2.01 is released.

SubjectAuthor
* SMLX 2.01 is released.wij
+* Re: SMLX 2.01 is released.Chris M. Thomasson
|`- Re: SMLX 2.01 is released.wij
`* Re: SMLX 2.01 is released.red floyd
 `- Re: SMLX 2.01 is released.Kenny McCormack

1
SMLX 2.01 is released.

<41d2c6b8-99b8-4a71-b691-e79162d5ba1en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1495&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B#1495

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 01:16:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: SMLX 2.01 is released.
From: wyniijj5@gmail.com (wij)
 by: wij - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 08:16 UTC

------ README_en.txt
The products of SMLX Project are electronical sheet music format (SMLX sheet
music format) and the accompanying playing executable play_smlx.

play_smlx is a precompiled executable for Linux machine, equivalent to sampler
or music workstation. It plays SMLX sheet music and optionally converts to .wav
file. The size of the sound data files are relatively large, and only need to
install once, they are stored separately, not in this package. Sound data files
can be downloaded at:
ConcertGrand.timx: https://sourceforge.net/projects/cscall/files/MisFiles/ConcertGrand.timx/download
MIDIGrand.timx: https://sourceforge.net/projects/cscall/files/MisFiles/MIDIGrand.timx/download
ViolinS.timx: https://sourceforge.net/projects/cscall/files/MisFiles/ViolinS.timx/download

play_smlx searches sound data files at the current working directory first, if
not found, it searches the directory set by the environment variable TIMBRE_PCM.

SMLX sheet music and play_smlx can significantly reduce the development time of
music compositions and provide fun. Some sheet music examples are included in
the package. You may type "play_smlx Canon.smlx" to play Canon, or add a voice
part to test the effect (like Canon2.smlx), or down-shift 3 semitones to change
to minor...

Some times latter, you might want to use your own sound. timx.doc describes the
format of the .timx sound data file. This part is harder to describes more
specifically, but not difficult for programmers.

The author of SMLX and play_smlx is not a music worker. It just happens all the
little he knows are enough to provide such things. Feedbacks are welcome and
needed to improve this products.
------

Hope that the product of SMLX project can enrich your everyday life.

The source program (play_smlx) is relatively simple (and not really important),
but not suitable for general people interested in music stuff, so not included
in the package. Programmers may guess how play_smlx is written, that should be
informative enough for non-beginner programmers.

Re: SMLX 2.01 is released.

<ue7h1e$fumm$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1510&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B#1510

From: chris.m.thomasson.1@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Subject: Re: SMLX 2.01 is released.
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 11:37:33 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 18:37 UTC

On 9/17/2023 1:16 AM, wij wrote:

> ------ README_en.txt
> The products of SMLX Project are electronical sheet music format (SMLX sheet
> music format) and the accompanying playing executable play_smlx.

Interesting. I just might check it out when I get some more time.
Thanks. Fwiw, I coded up a crude little MIDI program that I used to
create a lot of my experimental music. An example:

https://youtu.be/HwIkk9zENcg

It can be used to set my fields to music, here is a crude example:

https://youtu.be/heEPwsraZm4

Now, imvho, messing around with raw waveforms can be rather "scary" in a
sense. I wrote a program to do it, but it can generate sounds that can
try to explode your eardrums and damage your speakers. An example of
some of my raw wave work:

https://youtu.be/DrPp6xfLe4Q?t=64

(make sure that the volume is not too high!)

Mapping MIDI to a database of waveform samples is fun.

[...]

Re: SMLX 2.01 is released.

<553e07ac-1e70-4fc2-97e7-62a97ead0c3dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1544&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B#1544

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 17:11:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: wyniijj5@gmail.com (wij)
 by: wij - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 00:11 UTC

On Monday, September 18, 2023 at 2:37:50 AM UTC+8, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
> On 9/17/2023 1:16 AM, wij wrote:
> >
> > ------ README_en.txt
> > The products of SMLX Project are electronical sheet music format (SMLX sheet
> > music format) and the accompanying playing executable play_smlx.
> Interesting. I just might check it out when I get some more time.
> Thanks. Fwiw, I coded up a crude little MIDI program that I used to
> create a lot of my experimental music. An example:
>
> https://youtu.be/HwIkk9zENcg
>
> It can be used to set my fields to music, here is a crude example:
>
> https://youtu.be/heEPwsraZm4
>
> Now, imvho, messing around with raw waveforms can be rather "scary" in a
> sense. I wrote a program to do it, but it can generate sounds that can
> try to explode your eardrums and damage your speakers. An example of
> some of my raw wave work:
>
> https://youtu.be/DrPp6xfLe4Q?t=64
>
> (make sure that the volume is not too high!)
>
> Mapping MIDI to a database of waveform samples is fun.
>
> [...]

The part of the program that maps MIDI codes to waveforms (from recorded sample
instead of 'synthesize') is simple: Copy the section of desired raw sample and
'attenuate' the trailing part.

A main purpose of SMLX is the provision of an electronical sheet music format.
Game music might be a little different, they tend to emphasize on sound effect.
But, if you can build the basic sound effect, play_smlx may be convenient (I
would say more convenient than 'MIDI', at least light-weighted).
The format of .timx timbre files is similar to RIFF format. hexedit+timx.doc
should be enough to know how to build one.

Re: SMLX 2.01 is released.

<ue8ccd$onmf$1@redfloyd.dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1545&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B#1545

From: no.spam.here@its.invalid (red floyd)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 19:24:12 -0700
 by: red floyd - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 02:24 UTC

On 9/17/2023 1:16 AM, wij wrote:

> [product announcement redacted]

I'm sorry, how is this on topic for this board?

Re: SMLX 2.01 is released.

<uf30lo$1etjs$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1957&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B#1957

From: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 04:50:00 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 04:50 UTC

In article <ue8ccd$onmf$1@redfloyd.dont-email.me>,
red floyd <no.spam.here@its.invalid> wrote:
>On 9/17/2023 1:16 AM, wij wrote:
>>
>> [product announcement redacted]
>
>I'm sorry, how is this on topic for this board?

Or, as it is often rendered:

That's nice. Your C++ question was?

--
"There are two things that are important in politics.
The first is money and I can't remember what the second one is."