From: ralfixx@gmx.de (Ralf Fassel)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Subject: inconsistent 'glob' behaviour on windows with long pathnames
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 15:33:26 +0200
 by: Ralf Fassel - Tue, 17 May 2022 13:33 UTC

tcl 8.6.12, Windows 10 latest updates applied

Asking for long filename (which does not exist)
% glob -nocomplain [string repeat x 251]
Ok, empty list.

Adding a "*" makes the glob err out
instead of returning an empty list:
% glob -nocomplain [string repeat x 251]*
couldn't read directory "C:/Users/ralf/AppData/Local/Temp/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*": no such file or directory

IMHO both commands should return an empty list, even if the second hits
the MAX_PATH limit in Windows.

On Linux I can do

% glob -nocomplain [string repeat x 1000000]
% glob -nocomplain [string repeat x 1000000]*

=> empty list each, no error, although trying to create that file also
returns an error since the file name is too long.

R'

Re: inconsistent 'glob' behaviour on windows with long pathnames

<t609cr$1ka$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=19322&group=comp.lang.tcl#19322

From: wortkarg2@yahoo.de (Harald Oehlmann)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 15:53:31 +0200
 by: Harald Oehlmann - Tue, 17 May 2022 13:53 UTC

Am 17.05.2022 um 15:33 schrieb Ralf Fassel:
> tcl 8.6.12, Windows 10 latest updates applied
>
> Asking for long filename (which does not exist)
> % glob -nocomplain [string repeat x 251]
> Ok, empty list.
>
> Adding a "*" makes the glob err out
> instead of returning an empty list:
> % glob -nocomplain [string repeat x 251]*
> couldn't read directory "C:/Users/ralf/AppData/Local/Temp/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*": no such file or directory
>
> IMHO both commands should return an empty list, even if the second hits
> the MAX_PATH limit in Windows.
>

> On Linux I can do
>
> % glob -nocomplain [string repeat x 1000000]
> % glob -nocomplain [string repeat x 1000000]*
>
> => empty list each, no error, although trying to create that file also
> returns an error since the file name is too long.
>
> R'

File a bug. In the past, Magic Jan did care.
Harald

Re: inconsistent 'glob' behaviour on windows with long pathnames

<ygawnekvzjb.fsf@akutech.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=19324&group=comp.lang.tcl#19324

From: ralfixx@gmx.de (Ralf Fassel)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 19:28:56 +0200
 by: Ralf Fassel - Tue, 17 May 2022 17:28 UTC

* Harald Oehlmann <wortkarg2@yahoo.de>
| Am 17.05.2022 um 15:33 schrieb Ralf Fassel:
| > tcl 8.6.12, Windows 10 latest updates applied
| >
| > Asking for long filename (which does not exist)
| > % glob -nocomplain [string repeat x 251]
| > Ok, empty list.
| >
| > Adding a "*" makes the glob err out
| > instead of returning an empty list:
| > % glob -nocomplain [string repeat x 251]*
| > couldn't read directory "C:/Users/ralf/AppData/Local/Temp/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*": no such file or directory
| >
| > IMHO both commands should return an empty list, even if the second hits
| > the MAX_PATH limit in Windows.

--<snip-snip>--

| File a bug. In the past, Magic Jan did care.
| Harald

https://core.tcl-lang.org/tcl/tktview?name=f6db6d1ec4

R'

devel / comp.lang.tcl / inconsistent 'glob' behaviour on windows with long pathnames