From: janburse@fastmail.fm (Mild Shock)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.javascript
Subject: ANN: Dogelog Player 1.1.4 (Generational GC)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 17:58:08 +0100
 by: Mild Shock - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 16:58 UTC

Dear All,

We are happy to announce a new
edition of the Dogelog player:

- Multi Measurement:
The library(runner) was enhanced to be
able to perform multiple measurements when
used as a benchmark harness. This feature
can for example be used to measure execution
time and garbage collection time, provided
the Prolog system offers such a statistics/2 key.

- JDK 21 Bytecode:
Like we were phasing out formerly Jekejeke
Prolog we are currently also phasing out
JDK 8 Bytecode. There is a grace period
but the transition to JDK 21 Bytecode is
already seen in the new artefacts index9.zip
and dogelog9.zip for the Dogelog Player
on the Java platform.

- Generational GC:
The garbage collector of Dogelog Player
was enhanced to have a more refined triggering
and to also use a faster generational variant
when appropriate. This was implemented for
all target platforms and we see performance
gains Java 42%, JavaScript 51% and Python 61%.

Have Fun!
Jan Burse, 30.11.2023, http://www.xlog.ch/

Re: ANN: Dogelog Player 1.1.4 (Generational GC)

<unglbc$795a$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18315&group=comp.lang.javascript#18315

From: janburse@fastmail.fm (Mild Shock)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.javascript
Subject: Re: ANN: Dogelog Player 1.1.4 (Generational GC)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 12:12:44 +0100
 by: Mild Shock - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 11:12 UTC

Dogelog Player is our recent Prolog system
pet project. Concerning its Java version it has
roots going back into the 1990’s. We provide a
little reflection on some of the milestones
in the past and the current state of the dynamic
database compared to other Prolog systems.

Starting with the synchronized Java Hashtable,
we went to lockless Hashtable, to scrambled
Hashtable and now to hybrid Hashtable. Benchmarking
assertz/1 and retractall/1 on Fibonacci
memoization shows that upcoming Dogelog Player
for Java plays midfield.

See also:

30 Years of Prolog Dynamic Database
https://twitter.com/dogelogch/status/1744305938004140342

30 Years of Prolog Dynamic Database
https://www.facebook.com/groups/dogelog

Mild Shock schrieb:

> Dogelog Player is a Prolog system for the
> JavaScript, Python and Java target platform.
> Inside the browser the library(markup) offers
> XSS injection safe markup generation. We extended
> the library(markup) towards a heap friendly XML
> streaming on all target platforms.
>
> Conceptually we were inspired by Java’s class
> FilterWriter. Text payload is automatically XML
> escaped and tags are written in that the underlying
> writer is directly called. As a test case we wrote
> a colorizer in 100% Prolog, so that we can phase
> out our old Java code.
>
> See also:
>
> XML Streaming for Dogelog Player
> https://twitter.com/dogelogch/status/1736864678616207768
>
> XML Streaming for Dogelog Player
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/dogelog
>
> Mild Shock schrieb:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> We are happy to announce a new
>> edition of the Dogelog player:
>>
>> - Multi Measurement:
>>    The library(runner) was enhanced to be
>> able to perform multiple measurements when
>> used as a benchmark harness. This feature
>> can for example be used to measure execution
>> time and garbage collection time, provided
>> the Prolog system offers such a statistics/2 key.
>>
>> - JDK 21 Bytecode:
>>    Like we were phasing out formerly Jekejeke
>> Prolog we are currently also phasing out
>> JDK 8 Bytecode. There is a grace period
>> but the transition to JDK 21 Bytecode is
>> already seen in the new artefacts index9.zip
>> and dogelog9.zip for the Dogelog Player
>> on the Java platform.
>>
>> - Generational GC:
>>    The garbage collector of Dogelog Player
>> was enhanced to have a more refined triggering
>> and to also use a faster generational variant
>> when appropriate. This was implemented for
>> all target platforms and we see performance
>> gains Java 42%, JavaScript 51% and Python 61%.
>>
>> Have Fun!
>> Jan Burse, 30.11.2023, http://www.xlog.ch/

Re: ANN: Dogelog Player 1.1.4 (Generational GC)

<uof2cb$m4av$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18317&group=comp.lang.javascript#18317

From: janburse@fastmail.fm (Mild Shock)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.javascript
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 00:59:07 +0100
 by: Mild Shock - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 23:59 UTC

Dogelog Player is a 100% Prolog written Prolog
interpreter. We started seeding the implementation
of a common HTTP Server library for all targets
JavaScript, Python and Java. Lets take a snapshot of
the current API and report some performance experience.

We could complete a minimal library(spin) and
demonstrate the correct UTF-8 HTTP streaming of a
text stream. We then measured the local delivery of
a hobbit.txt file of 50'000 bytes, we also run
against SWI-Prolog. We were positively surprised by
the performance of JavaScript, Java and SWI-Prolog.
Only the Python performance was a little disappointing.

See also:

Streaming HTTP for Dogelog Player
https://twitter.com/dogelogch/status/1748477496364818517

Streaming HTTP for Dogelog Player
https://www.facebook.com/groups/dogelog

Re: ANN: Dogelog Player 1.1.4 (Generational GC)

<uog5un$ml7a$3@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18318&group=comp.lang.javascript#18318

From: janburse@fastmail.fm (Mild Shock)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.javascript
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 11:06:16 +0100
 by: Mild Shock - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 10:06 UTC

Our initial testing with CPython was consistently
very disappointing, so that we switched to PyPy,
the alternative JIT-ing implementation of Python.
With running Doglog Player via PyPy it becomes
comparable in performance to the JavaScript target,
both targets now only lack by ca 50% behind the
Java target and SWI-Prolog.

See also:

Streaming HTTP for Dogelog Player [corrected]
https://twitter.com/dogelogch/status/1748646455999332354