To err is human, to forgive, beyond the scope of the Operating System.

devel / comp.databases.ingres / Re: DataConnect, Director and Management Server

SubjectAuthor
* DataConnect, Director and Management ServerSteve
+- Re: DataConnect, Director and Management ServerRoy Hann
+* Re: DataConnect, Director and Management ServerG Jones
`* Re: DataConnect, Director and Management Serverchris.cla...@gmail.com
 +- Re: DataConnect, Director and Management ServerSteve
 `- Re: DataConnect, Director and Management ServerSteve

1
DataConnect, Director and Management Server

<1ae86c52-8939-4a28-b17c-37f8ad64f692n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=170&group=comp.databases.ingres#170

Newsgroups: comp.databases.ingres
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 21:05:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: DataConnect, Director and Management Server
From: s.anderson.au@gmail.com (Steve)
 by: Steve - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 05:05 UTC

Hi folks

I believe Actian Director uses something called Management Server. Further, I believe Director (and thus Management Server) is a prerequisite for DataConnect/IngresConnect.

The Ingres documentation indicates the Management Server can be started/stopped with the ingstart/ingstop -mgmtsvr option, however I don't see a way to explicitly show it is running or not (ignoring ps -ef).

For example, ingstatus doesn't show anything, even though it does show things that aren't running, like the Bridge Server. Issuing ingstop -mgmtsvr when Management Server is not already running, doesn't report too much and there is no "show mgmtsvr" iinamu command, for example.

Is it simply a case that Ingres can't report on something that is not installed?

Essentially I want to confirm a user could not run Director and/or DataConnect/IngresConnect without the DBA's knowledge, because Management Server would need to be running on the server?

Thanks
Steve

Re: DataConnect, Director and Management Server

<spai46$87d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=176&group=comp.databases.ingres#176

From: specially@processed.almost.meat (Roy Hann)
Newsgroups: comp.databases.ingres
Subject: Re: DataConnect, Director and Management Server
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 16:52:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Roy Hann - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 16:52 UTC

Steve wrote:

> I believe Actian Director uses something called Management
> Server. Further, I believe Director (and thus Management Server) is a
> prerequisite for DataConnect/IngresConnect.
>
> The Ingres documentation indicates the Management Server can be
> started/stopped with the ingstart/ingstop -mgmtsvr option, however I
> don't see a way to explicitly show it is running or not (ignoring ps -ef).
>
> For example, ingstatus doesn't show anything, even though it does show
> things that aren't running, like the Bridge Server. Issuing ingstop
> -mgmtsvr when Management Server is not already running, doesn't report
> too much and there is no "show mgmtsvr" iinamu command, for example.
>
> Is it simply a case that Ingres can't report on something that is not
> installed?
>
> Essentially I want to confirm a user could not run Director and/or
> DataConnect/IngresConnect without the DBA's knowledge, because Management
> Server would need to be running on the server?

iinamu refers to the remote command server as RMCMD not MGMTSVR as you
would think. Here's what I see on one of my boxes:

ingres@loathing: /opt/Ingres/IngresII/ingres/utility
> iinamu show servers
RMCMD * 33603
STAR * 41865
DASVR * 35219
COMSVR * 34401
INGRES * 43787 (sole server)
IUSVR * 38803
IINMSVR * 33845

Roy

Re: DataConnect, Director and Management Server

<a3ece3a3-2f31-4406-875e-230f3cfdebf3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=178&group=comp.databases.ingres#178

Newsgroups: comp.databases.ingres
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 07:41:47 -0800 (PST)
From: geraint.jones@ndph.ox.ac.uk (G Jones)
 by: G Jones - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 15:41 UTC

On Tuesday, December 14, 2021 at 5:05:14 AM UTC, Steve wrote:
> For example, ingstatus doesn't show anything, even though it does show things that aren't running, like the Bridge Server.

In a 11.1 installation here where the management server's not running (in config.dat ingstart.*.mgmtsvr is set to 0), ingstatus includes a line "Ingres II Management server (mgmtsvr) - not active".
I don't know why it's not showing you anything, ingstatus is a shell script so it may be possible to step through it to work out what's happening. Maybe there are version-dependent differences.

If mgmtsvr isn't running there won't be anything listening on the port Director tries to connect to. I would guess that doesn't stop clients from firing it up, it just won't find a target.

Re: DataConnect, Director and Management Server

<b4b4aeb8-ff8b-4b89-9d51-2153378aa3d2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=179&group=comp.databases.ingres#179

Newsgroups: comp.databases.ingres
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 14:32:32 -0800 (PST)
From: chris.clark.actian@gmail.com (chris.cla...@gmail.com)
 by: chris.cla...@gmail.c - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 22:32 UTC

On Monday, December 13, 2021 at 9:05:14 PM UTC-8, Steve wrote:
> Essentially I want to confirm a user could not run Director and/or DataConnect/IngresConnect without the DBA's knowledge, because Management Server would need to be running on the server?

I recommend opening a support case, I was not aware that DataConnect needed the management server (I thought it only needed ODBC access).

Re: DataConnect, Director and Management Server

<353754c3-847a-4dc8-b049-4486d27a52d2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=180&group=comp.databases.ingres#180

Newsgroups: comp.databases.ingres
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 21:01:28 -0800 (PST)
From: s.anderson.au@gmail.com (Steve)
 by: Steve - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 05:01 UTC

On Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 2:41:48 AM UTC+11, G Jones wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 14, 2021 at 5:05:14 AM UTC, Steve wrote:
> > For example, ingstatus doesn't show anything, even though it does show things that aren't running, like the Bridge Server.
> In a 11.1 installation here where the management server's not running (in config.dat ingstart.*.mgmtsvr is set to 0), ingstatus includes a line "Ingres II Management server (mgmtsvr) - not active".
> I don't know why it's not showing you anything, ingstatus is a shell script so it may be possible to step through it to work out what's happening. Maybe there are version-dependent differences.
>
> If mgmtsvr isn't running there won't be anything listening on the port Director tries to connect to. I would guess that doesn't stop clients from firing it up, it just won't find a target.

Thanks. I am told by Actian Support that Management Server and thus Director is not available for Solaris SPARC. Probably makes sense; my understanding is there are very few customers running Ingres on Solaris SPARC.

I see the ingstatus script greps the config file, like you indicated, to determine if Management Server is installed.

If Management Server is not running, the script will only print something if it's installed. I guess that makes sense.

Thanks
Steve

Re: DataConnect, Director and Management Server

<25dbf209-1e77-4e42-95f5-5b32d72b0e0an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=181&group=comp.databases.ingres#181

Newsgroups: comp.databases.ingres
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 21:30:00 -0800 (PST)
From: s.anderson.au@gmail.com (Steve)
 by: Steve - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 05:30 UTC

On Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 9:32:33 AM UTC+11, chris.cla...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, December 13, 2021 at 9:05:14 PM UTC-8, Steve wrote:
> > Essentially I want to confirm a user could not run Director and/or DataConnect/IngresConnect without the DBA's knowledge, because Management Server would need to be running on the server?
> I recommend opening a support case, I was not aware that DataConnect needed the management server (I thought it only needed ODBC access).

Thanks Chris. Here is the prerequisite information for IngresConnect*. I hope they are not just prerequisites for the sample projects!?!
https://docs.actian.com/dataconnect/11.0/index.html#page/User%2FPrerequisites_2.htm%23ww610652

Actian Support indicated a licence file is required for DataConnect/IngresConnect. We don't have any such licences.

*=IngresConnect is DataConnect limited to Ingres.

Thanks
Steve

Re: DataConnect, Director and Management Server

<fa2ffc31-92dc-49c3-9dfc-24322e757739n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=182&group=comp.databases.ingres#182

Newsgroups: comp.databases.ingres
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 03:04:07 -0800 (PST)
From: s.anderson.au@gmail.com (Steve)
 by: Steve - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:04 UTC

On Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 9:32:33 AM UTC+11, chris.cla...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, December 13, 2021 at 9:05:14 PM UTC-8, Steve wrote:
> > Essentially I want to confirm a user could not run Director and/or DataConnect/IngresConnect without the DBA's knowledge, because Management Server would need to be running on the server?
> I recommend opening a support case, I was not aware that DataConnect needed the management server (I thought it only needed ODBC access).

Apologies, Actian Support informed me Director is NOT a prequisite for DataConnect/IngresConnect.

I thought it was based on the following link. However, the prerequisites listed were for the IngresConnect SAMPLE PROJECTS, not IngresConnect itself.

DataConnect 11 User Guide > 25. Using IngresConnect Sample Projects > Prerequisites