Newsgroups: comp.lang.javascript
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 03:52:11 -0800 (PST)
Subject: I need a non-editing file display Window for script output.
From: dr.j.r.stockton@gmail.com (John Stockton)
 by: John Stockton - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 11:52 UTC

I have scripts which generate (in %TEMP%) a plain-text file of batch code, and I want to read this file by eye, in a new Window, then manually copy'n'paste or drag'n'drop selected lines or contiguous groups of lines into a Command Prompt window, which will be ready and waiting. The lines all start "DEL" or "RD"; but must be thought about before execution. I want to be UNABLE to alter the characters displayed, apart from by scrolling.

The batch command
START MSEDGE %1
does this, except that it does not work in Windows XP and that it opens a new tab rather than a new Window. In any case, EDGE would be "a sledgehammer to crack a nut", and I don't want to have a window/tab which looks in the least like any browser that I have open.

So : is there an obscure but standard small part of Windows 10+ that can display a text file in a simple non-editable Window that supports Ctrl-C and vertical scroll? Can batch VBScript create such a Window easily?

--
(c) John Stockton, near London, UK. Using Google Groups. |

Re: I need a non-editing file display Window for script output.

<qdaqu3tlbjiz.a3l8a5uz97xe$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18061&group=comp.lang.javascript#18061

From: jj4public@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.javascript
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 23:21:32 +0700
 by: JJ - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 16:21 UTC

On Sun, 5 Mar 2023 03:52:11 -0800 (PST), John Stockton wrote:
> I have scripts which generate (in %TEMP%) a plain-text file of batch code,
> and I want to read this file by eye, in a new Window, then manually
> copy'n'paste or drag'n'drop selected lines or contiguous groups of lines
> into a Command Prompt window, which will be ready and waiting. The lines
> all start "DEL" or "RD"; but must be thought about before execution. I
> want to be UNABLE to alter the characters displayed, apart from by
> scrolling.
>
> The batch command START MSEDGE %1 does this, except that it does not
> work in Windows XP and that it opens a new tab rather than a new Window.
> In any case, EDGE would be "a sledgehammer to crack a nut", and I don't
> want to have a window/tab which looks in the least like any browser that
> I have open.
>
> So : is there an obscure but standard small part of Windows 10+ that can
> display a text file in a simple non-editable Window that supports Ctrl-C
> and vertical scroll? Can batch VBScript create such a Window easily?

First of all, this is a JavaScript newgroup. It's neither a batch file or a
Windows newsgroup.

That being said, MS-Edge is basically a Chromium, and I believe Chromium has
a command line switch to open an URL in a new window instead of a new tab in
an existing window. Also, you can use HTML Application (MSHTA; *.hta file)
to make your own text file viewer. MSHTA is basically a HTML which is opened
in a super lightweight MSIE browser which can use both VBScript and JScript.