From: HenHanna@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Subject: [Common Lisp: The Untold Story] by Kent M. Pitman
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 12:43:30 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 20:43 UTC

January 24 Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org>
It was interesting to read
[Common Lisp: The Untold Story] by Kent M. Pitman
HyperMeta Inc. http://www.nhplace.com/kent/
His considerations of copyright and title 17 of the US code was
particularly interesting.

--------- is there an Abstract, or a list of Bullet Points ? --> Sure!

http://nhplace.com/kent/Papers/cl-untold-story.html

ABSTRACT

This paper summarizes a talk given at “Lisp50@OOPSLA,” the 50th
Anniversary of Lisp workshop, Monday, October 20, 2008, an event
co-located with the OOPSLA’08 in Nashville, TN, in which I offered my
personal, subjective account of how I came to be involved with Common
Lisp and the Common Lisp standard, and of what I learned from the process.

The account highlights the role of luck in the way various
details of history played out, emphasizing the importance of seizing and
making the best of the chance opportunities that life presents. The
account further underscores the importance of understanding the role of
controlling influences such as funding and intellectual property in
shaping processes and outcomes. As noted by Louis Pasteur, “chance
favors the prepared mind.”

The talk was presented extemporaneously from notes. As such,
it covered the same general material as does this paper, although the
two may differ in details of structure and content. It is suggested that
the talk be viewed as an invitation to read this written text, and that
the written account be deemed my position of record on all matters
covered in the talk.