From: yorick@nam.or (Yorick Namor)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Subject: Any AI projects still using Lisp?
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 15:54:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Yorick Namor - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 15:54 UTC

Just curious.

Re: Any AI projects still using Lisp?

<i2rjqi9836mrafrq86q4f1l862mlaub6d4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17868&group=comp.lang.lisp#17868

From: gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Subject: Re: Any AI projects still using Lisp?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 22:40:31 -0500
 by: George Neuner - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 03:40 UTC

On Wed, 17 Jan 2024 15:54:50 -0000 (UTC), Yorick Namor <yorick@nam.or>
wrote:

>Just curious.

Lisp was and still is used for implementing rule-based systems, but
those are no longer considered to be "AI".

AI now means "artificial neural network". ANN are implemented via
matrix math with SIMD or GPU, and increasingly using smaller data
types: e.g., IEEE-754 half precision float (16-bit), and (at least)
two non-IEEE 8-bit float formats.

Re: Any AI projects still using Lisp?

<Lisp-20240207163321@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17978&group=comp.lang.lisp#17978

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: 7 Feb 2024 15:34:49 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 15:34 UTC

Yorick Namor <yorick@nam.or> writes:
>Just curious.

At least neural AI can help you with Lisp today! Me:

|How do I write a program in Common Lisp to do the following
|things: In an endless loop, repeatedly "read a string, then
|store the first character of the string in the variable a,
|then store the rest of the string in the variable b, then
|print both a and b"?

. AI system:

|(loop
| (let* ((input (read-line)) ; Read a line of input
| (a (char input 0)) ; Store first character in variable a
| (b (subseq input 1)) ; Store rest of the string in variable b
| )
| (format t "a: ~a, b: ~a~%" a b) ; Print both a and b
| )
| )

. Then I asked about "subseq" and used that to change "char
input 0" into "subseq input 0 1". The chatbot gave me a good
start with the small Common Lisp program I want to write.