Unix soit qui mal y pense [Unix to him who evil thinks?]

devel / comp.lang.lisp / Re: common lisp, the untold story

SubjectAuthor
* common lisp, the untold storyJulieta Shem
`* Re: common lisp, the untold storyAxel Reichert
 +* Re: common lisp, the untold storyMadhu
 |+- Re: common lisp, the untold storyJulieta Shem
 |`- Re: common lisp, the untold storyLawrence D'Oliveiro
 `* Re: common lisp, the untold storyJulieta Shem
  +* Re: common lisp, the untold storyPaolo Amoroso
  |+- Re: common lisp, the untold storyPaolo Amoroso
  |+* Re: common lisp, the untold storyLawrence D'Oliveiro
  ||`* Re: common lisp, the untold storyJulieta Shem
  || `* Re: common lisp, the untold storyLawrence D'Oliveiro
  ||  `* Re: common lisp, the untold storyJulieta Shem
  ||   +* Re: common lisp, the untold storyKaz Kylheku
  ||   |`* Re: common lisp, the untold storyJulieta Shem
  ||   | `* Re: common lisp, the untold storyGeorge Neuner
  ||   |  `* Re: common lisp, the untold storyJulieta Shem
  ||   |   `* Re: common lisp, the untold storyGeorge Neuner
  ||   |    `* Re: common lisp, the untold storyJulieta Shem
  ||   |     `- Re: common lisp, the untold storyKaz Kylheku
  ||   `- Re: common lisp, the untold storyStefan Ram
  |+* Re: common lisp, the untold storyNuno Silva
  ||`- Re: common lisp, the untold storyJulieta Shem
  |`* Re: common lisp, the untold storyJulieta Shem
  | `- on noweb (Was: Re: common lisp, the untold story)Julieta Shem
  `* Re: common lisp, the untold storyAxel Reichert
   `* Re: common lisp, the untold storyJulieta Shem
    `* Re: common lisp, the untold storyLawrence D'Oliveiro
     `* Re: common lisp, the untold storyJulieta Shem
      +* Re: common lisp, the untold storyGeorge Neuner
      |`* Re: common lisp, the untold storySpiros Bousbouras
      | `- Re: common lisp, the untold storyKaz Kylheku
      `* Re: common lisp, the untold storyLawrence D'Oliveiro
       `- Re: common lisp, the untold storyJulieta Shem

Pages:12
Re: common lisp, the untold story

<sl7rrihr5p7phphhigreop9t5jqbici61h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17962&group=comp.lang.lisp#17962

From: gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Subject: Re: common lisp, the untold story
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 23:20:19 -0500
 by: George Neuner - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 04:20 UTC

On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 11:27:34 -0300, Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org>
wrote:

>George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> Scribble[1] supports literate programming. It works in the same way
>> as Knuth's tools - extracting chunks of code from the document and
>> stitching them together ... but it is integrated with the programming
>> environment, so it is a lot easier to use than, e.g., CWEB.
>
>I suppose you don't mean easier for writing C. I don't think Scribble
>would be integrated with the C compiler as CWEB is. But I do think that
>Scribble is in general the correct approach to the problem. I would
>love to stop and learn how to use it. I would love to stop and build a
>LaTeX layout similar to the one NOWEB provides.

Wasn't thinking about C per se - just comparing tools.

Scribble actually doesn't care what is in a "code" fragment - you can
put anything there so long as you don't care to execute it. However,
Scribble documents can be executable if the fragments are in Racket or
are in a #lang that translates to Racket.

Racket does not currently have a translating #lang C, so all Scribble
could do with C code is assemble the fragments, create C souce files
and invoke a C compiler. No advantage over CWEB.

Racket does have a C-99 parser library, so with a shiiteload of work a
translating #lang C could be created.
https://pkgs.racket-lang.org/package/c-utils

The CLang project is trying to do that targeting typed Racket. I think
it is aiming for more modern C. Don't know how far along it is.

https://pkgs.racket-lang.org/package/clang

Jay McCarthy has a couple of doorknob simple packages: C and SuperC
which just take their input and pass it to GCC. They are meant only
for generating simple C executables from a Racket program.
https://pkgs.racket-lang.org/package/c
https://pkgs.racket-lang.org/package/superc

Racket doesn't ignore C - the FFI enables using C libraries - but the
developers don't care to implement languages other than Racket. All
of these things mentioned above are contributed projects.

Re: common lisp, the untold story

<dpfrrip7jlm1h1bg3cgup7t0bjbua7vvl1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17963&group=comp.lang.lisp#17963

From: gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 23:35:39 -0500
 by: George Neuner - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 04:35 UTC

On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 19:26:12 -0300, Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org>
wrote:

>This is getting off-topic---I wonder if we should continue here.

Historically, wandering discussions were not uncommon.
[Been reading c.l.l since early 90's.]

Group etiquette changes over time [though more slowly here than in
some other forums]. Feel free to fork new threads if you like - just
be sure to quote enough of the old so that others can follow the new.

8-)

Re: common lisp, the untold story

<2YITnQgFZ4z87qtJ9@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17964&group=comp.lang.lisp#17964

From: spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 14:57:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 14:57 UTC

On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 23:35:39 -0500
George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 19:26:12 -0300, Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org>
> wrote:
>
> >This is getting off-topic---I wonder if we should continue here.
>
> Historically, wandering discussions were not uncommon.
> [Been reading c.l.l since early 90's.]

They still are (comp.lang.c has many at present) but I think they should be
discouraged. Especially now that usenet has fewer people , it is extra
important to keep as many newsgroups as possible alive with on topic
discussion. comp.programming.literate (CPL) exists. The most recent post I
see (using news2.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de) is

Newsgroups: comp.programming.literate
Subject: [?] noweb for win64
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 16:33:14 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nr@labrador.cs.tufts.edu

..The same server shows several most posts. The group is moderated. Whether
there haven't been any submissions since the above post or the moderator has
gone AWOL , I don't know. I think it would be worth it to find out the
current status of the group. If anyone has further posts which are more about
literate programming than about Lisp , I suggest posting them on CPL and
posting a Message-ID on comp.lang.lisp .If the post does not appear on CPL
then the process for enquiring about the status of the moderator can be
started on news.groups .

--
Reminds me of that meme going around. "Those who do not study history
are doomed to repeat it. Those who DO study history are doomed to watch

Re: common lisp, the untold story

<20240203101835.41@kylheku.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17965&group=comp.lang.lisp#17965

From: 433-929-6894@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 18:20:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Kaz Kylheku - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 18:20 UTC

On 2024-02-03, Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 23:35:39 -0500
> George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 19:26:12 -0300, Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >This is getting off-topic---I wonder if we should continue here.
>>
>> Historically, wandering discussions were not uncommon.
>> [Been reading c.l.l since early 90's.]
>
> They still are (comp.lang.c has many at present) but I think they should be
> discouraged. Especially now that usenet has fewer people , it is extra
> important to keep as many newsgroups as possible alive with on topic
> discussion.

Rather, the more people there are in a discussion forum system, the
finer granularity you need in topic specialization.

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca

Re: common lisp, the untold story

<upnb5g$3i0cg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17967&group=comp.lang.lisp#17967

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 06:34:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 06:34 UTC

On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 19:26:12 -0300, Julieta Shem wrote:

> Do you have online examples of these man pages you rendered in typeset
> quality?

Of the source, yes. The biggest such collection would be here
<https://gitlab.com/ldo/render-useful>.

An example of viewing a typeset rendition of one of them:

groff -ktman -Tpdf render-batch.1 | okular - &

(I like to put “&” on the end of GUI commands, so the terminal session is
free for another command while I continue viewing the output.)

Re: common lisp, the untold story

<87o7cwxpot.fsf@yaxenu.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17970&group=comp.lang.lisp#17970

From: jshem@yaxenu.org (Julieta Shem)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 11:35:30 -0300
sha1:oCHLFn8+0wXwO8Y57/4RvmJ79pI=
 by: Julieta Shem - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 14:35 UTC

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> writes:

> On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 19:26:12 -0300, Julieta Shem wrote:
>
>> Do you have online examples of these man pages you rendered in typeset
>> quality?
>
> Of the source, yes. The biggest such collection would be here
> <https://gitlab.com/ldo/render-useful>.

Thanks!

My connectivity is going through hardships lately.

%git clone https://gitlab.com/ldo/render-useful
Cloning into 'render-useful'...
warning: redirecting to https://gitlab.com/ldo/render-useful.git/

error: RPC failed; curl 56 OpenSSL SSL_read: Connection reset by peer, errno 104
error: 38105 bytes of body are still expected
fetch-pack: unexpected disconnect while reading sideband packet
fatal: early EOF
fatal: index-pack failed

%git clone https://gitlab.com/ldo/render-useful
Cloning into 'render-useful'...
warning: redirecting to https://gitlab.com/ldo/render-useful.git/
error: RPC failed; curl 56 OpenSSL SSL_read: Connection reset by peer, errno 104
error: 43377 bytes of body are still expected
fetch-pack: unexpected disconnect while reading sideband packet
fatal: early EOF
fatal: index-pack failed
%

More on this soon.

> An example of viewing a typeset rendition of one of them:
>
> groff -ktman -Tpdf render-batch.1 | okular - &

Thanks!

> (I like to put “&” on the end of GUI commands, so the terminal session
> is free for another command while I continue viewing the output.)

That makes two of us.

Re: common lisp, the untold story

<87h6ioxpi7.fsf@yaxenu.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17971&group=comp.lang.lisp#17971

From: jshem@yaxenu.org (Julieta Shem)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 11:39:28 -0300
sha1:zvDL8z76+PGNsMQS865neeYfCbc=
 by: Julieta Shem - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 14:39 UTC

George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net> writes:

> On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 11:27:34 -0300, Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org>
> wrote:
>
>>George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net> writes:
>>
>>> Scribble[1] supports literate programming. It works in the same way
>>> as Knuth's tools - extracting chunks of code from the document and
>>> stitching them together ... but it is integrated with the programming
>>> environment, so it is a lot easier to use than, e.g., CWEB.
>>
>>I suppose you don't mean easier for writing C. I don't think Scribble
>>would be integrated with the C compiler as CWEB is. But I do think that
>>Scribble is in general the correct approach to the problem. I would
>>love to stop and learn how to use it. I would love to stop and build a
>>LaTeX layout similar to the one NOWEB provides.
>
> Wasn't thinking about C per se - just comparing tools.
>
> Scribble actually doesn't care what is in a "code" fragment - you can
> put anything there so long as you don't care to execute it. However,
> Scribble documents can be executable if the fragments are in Racket or
> are in a #lang that translates to Racket.

I meant the following. If you write C with Scribble's LP language, it
generates C source files that you'll compile. When the compiler reports
errors, it will mention line numbers, but these lines numbers are from
the C source files generated by Scribble---the compiler doesn't know
about the Scribble files. Scribble would have to inform the C compiler
about which lines in the C source refer to which lines in the Scribble
source. This is what CWEB does. (Credits go to the C compiler for
predicting the usefulness of such extensions.)

It's in this sense that it's easier to write C using CWEB than Scribble.

But I never used Scribble, so take all of that with a grain of salt.

Re: common lisp, the untold story

<20240204094652.981@kylheku.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17974&group=comp.lang.lisp#17974

From: 433-929-6894@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:52:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Kaz Kylheku - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:52 UTC

On 2024-02-04, Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org> wrote:
> about the Scribble files. Scribble would have to inform the C compiler
> about which lines in the C source refer to which lines in the Scribble
> source. This is what CWEB does. (Credits go to the C compiler for
> predicting the usefulness of such extensions.)

The #line preprocessing directive is a feature of ISO C.

If Scribble has some escape hatch for knowing what the current output
line number and file name is, maybe a macro could be written to
interpolate those into the output in #line 1234 "file.sc" syntax,
along with the code fragment material.

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca