Computers don't actually think. You just think they think. (We think.)

devel / comp.lang.lisp / Re: A modern Lisp Machine?

SubjectAuthor
o Re: A modern Lisp Machine?Peri Didaskalou

1
Re: A modern Lisp Machine?

<NiF5L.670433$Ny99.529005@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17201&group=comp.lang.lisp#17201

Subject: Re: A modern Lisp Machine?
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
From: pfd@torfree.net (Peri Didaskalou)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 19:34:52 -0400
 by: Peri Didaskalou - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 23:34 UTC

On 2017-01-22 7:50 p.m., Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> n.theodore.matavka.files@gmail.com writes:
>
>> Hello, world!
>>
>> I'm a non-techy user, or at least a non-programmer, but I picked up a
>> little bit of Lisp when I was about 16, and now, not really having
>> much to do besides day trade, I got into it again. I got the Open
>> Genera distro running---and, to my shock, I LIKED IT.
>>
>> The thing is, though, that Open Genera hasn't been worked on since
>> 1985 or thereabouts, and its assets are all tied up in probate as we
>> all know, but hypothetically, if it were GPL'ed, from what I've seen,
>> it's cooler than Linux. I wouldn't mind having it as a primary
>> operating system, actually. Hypothetically, could it be made to run
>> natively? I think it would make a fine single-user operating system
>> (Linux is fine for big installations) especially with the ability to
>> EDIT CODE WHILE IT RUNS. I mean, I had to capitalise that, because
>> even to someone growing up in the age of pocket Androids, that sounds
>> impossible.
>>
>> Sure, the UX needs polishing, and it doesn't even have a Web browser,
>> but from what I've seen, Genera is not a development environment as
>> everyone calls it---it's a fully fledged operating system, an Emacs
>> writ large. It's a compliment, even though I HATE EMACS.
>>
>> That's another thing---anyone got a modern Gnu Emacs port for Genera,
>> one that'll run Evil or Vile? I'm straining my pinky and it hurts!
>
> I don't know if we have access to the source code of the whole Genera
> system. Assuming we have, you could just write a compiler targetting
> current processors (ie. x86_64 or arm64), and adapt low level stuff to
> run on current hardware. I wouldn't expect it to be too hard, since I
> guess most of the hard porting work has been done when porting Genera to
> alpha processors.
>

> In the meantime, you could have a look at Mezzano:
> https://github.com/froggey/Mezzano

There's also Chrysalisp, https://github.com/vygr/ChrysaLisp, which
exploits the existing OS; Linux, MAC or Windows. Albeit 48% of the code
is C++, then CL, then assembly and some other langs.
The author claims he's aspiring to have it run on bare metal! Pretty cool!