If an experiment works, something has gone wrong.

devel / comp.lang.xharbour / Re: Windows 11 Screenfont in console

SubjectAuthor
* Windows 11 Screenfont in consoleMichael Hagl
+* Re: Windows 11 Screenfont in consoledlzc
|`- Re: Windows 11 Screenfont in consoleMichael Hagl
`* Re: Windows 11 Screenfont in consoleElla Stern
 `* Re: Windows 11 Screenfont in consoleMichael Hagl
  `* Re: Windows 11 Screenfont in consoleElla Stern
   `* Re: Windows 11 Screenfont in consoleElla Stern
    `* Re: Windows 11 Screenfont in consoleMichael Hagl
     `- Re: Windows 11 Screenfont in consoleRoberto Romeo

1
Windows 11 Screenfont in console

<8620b7a4-36cd-4f6d-bc78-6d9367e1f29cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16894&group=comp.lang.xharbour#16894

Newsgroups: comp.lang.xharbour
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 02:40:08 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Windows 11 Screenfont in console
From: info@hagl.de (Michael Hagl)
 by: Michael Hagl - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 10:40 UTC

Hi,
I do first test with Windows 11 and xHb console application.
The problem seems to be the font to use in console.
When using raster font, german umlauts and frame characters are shown correct. But when using Lucida Console, all Characters above Ascii 128 are not shown correct.
Before Windows 11, this was no problem.

I am grateful for any advice.

Michael Hagl.

Re: Windows 11 Screenfont in console

<0b8aa31c-0cde-41fb-b7a8-b97d33835ee1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16898&group=comp.lang.xharbour#16898

Newsgroups: comp.lang.xharbour
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 06:08:50 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Windows 11 Screenfont in console
From: dlzc1@cox.net (dlzc)
 by: dlzc - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 14:08 UTC

Dear Michael Hagl:

On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 3:40:10 AM UTC-7, Michael Hagl wrote:
> I do first test with Windows 11 and xHb console application.
> The problem seems to be the font to use in console.
> When using raster font, german umlauts and frame characters
> are shown correct. But when using Lucida Console, all Characters
> above Ascii 128 are not shown correct.

Did you check to see if the code page was successfully changed? Does this function call return success or failure. I do see that code pages are deprecated, and we are encouraged to go to UTF-8 or UTF-16... Which means you might have to set up the font before executing your program.

> Before Windows 11, this was no problem.

May or may not help:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/intl/code-pages

David A. Smith

Re: Windows 11 Screenfont in console

<57de5aca-e3a4-459d-aa4f-6ddb326f554fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16899&group=comp.lang.xharbour#16899

Newsgroups: comp.lang.xharbour
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 00:44:59 -0800 (PST)
From: info@hagl.de (Michael Hagl)
 by: Michael Hagl - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 08:44 UTC

Hi David,

sorry for delay!

It seems to help to start the xHb-program.exe in batch file and do chcp 437 before the program is started.

The new windows terminal seems to have more problems to show the line of my xHb programm in a correct way.

I will do more tests.

I think, all users which are using console mode of xHb will have problems with windows 11.

Michael

dlzc schrieb am Montag, 3. Januar 2022 um 15:08:51 UTC+1:
> Dear Michael Hagl:
>
> On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 3:40:10 AM UTC-7, Michael Hagl wrote:
> > I do first test with Windows 11 and xHb console application.
> > The problem seems to be the font to use in console.
> > When using raster font, german umlauts and frame characters
> > are shown correct. But when using Lucida Console, all Characters
> > above Ascii 128 are not shown correct.
> Did you check to see if the code page was successfully changed? Does this function call return success or failure. I do see that code pages are deprecated, and we are encouraged to go to UTF-8 or UTF-16... Which means you might have to set up the font before executing your program.
> > Before Windows 11, this was no problem.
> May or may not help:
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/intl/code-pages
>
> David A. Smith

Re: Windows 11 Screenfont in console

<da8d5cb5-01c0-4226-a3b8-815f23da5f87n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16903&group=comp.lang.xharbour#16903

Newsgroups: comp.lang.xharbour
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 09:35:18 -0800 (PST)
From: ellailona@gmail.com (Ella Stern)
 by: Ella Stern - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 17:35 UTC

On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 12:40:10 PM UTC+2, in...@hagl.de wrote:
> Hi,
> I do first test with Windows 11 and xHb console application.
> The problem seems to be the font to use in console.
> When using raster font, german umlauts and frame characters are shown correct. But when using Lucida Console, all Characters above Ascii 128 are not shown correct.
> Before Windows 11, this was no problem.
>
> I am grateful for any advice.
>
> Michael Hagl.

Eventually you might want to try out the procedures described below for configuring compatibility mode:
https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/run-older-programs-in-compatibility-mode-in-windows-11-10/

Re: Windows 11 Screenfont in console

<813a5285-2157-4f0e-a107-a71489b7c084n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16904&group=comp.lang.xharbour#16904

Newsgroups: comp.lang.xharbour
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 10:52:40 -0800 (PST)
From: info@hagl.de (Michael Hagl)
 by: Michael Hagl - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 18:52 UTC

Ella Stern schrieb am Dienstag, 4. Januar 2022 um 18:35:19 UTC+1:
> On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 12:40:10 PM UTC+2, in...@hagl.de wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I do first test with Windows 11 and xHb console application.
> > The problem seems to be the font to use in console.
> > When using raster font, german umlauts and frame characters are shown correct. But when using Lucida Console, all Characters above Ascii 128 are not shown correct.
> > Before Windows 11, this was no problem.
> >
> > I am grateful for any advice.
> >
> > Michael Hagl.
> Eventually you might want to try out the procedures described below for configuring compatibility mode:
> https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/run-older-programs-in-compatibility-mode-in-windows-11-10/

Hi Ella,

I think it´s no problem of compatibility. The only problem seems to not using the raster font for DOS-Box.
On Win 10 I can use Lucida Console without any Problems, but on Win 11 there are no Umlauts even I set chcp 437 before starting program.
But sometimes the output on screen is correct although i use Lucida Console as font.
This seems to work in DOS-Box or starting the programm in batch file.
But when starting the program.exe direct with double click, then how to change codepage and font?

This is very misterious.

Michael

Re: Windows 11 Screenfont in console

<39d66d18-3610-49bd-a6ae-90258cd37089n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16905&group=comp.lang.xharbour#16905

Newsgroups: comp.lang.xharbour
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 12:36:51 -0800 (PST)
From: ellailona@gmail.com (Ella Stern)
 by: Ella Stern - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 20:36 UTC

On Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 8:52:42 PM UTC+2, in...@hagl.de wrote:
> Ella Stern schrieb am Dienstag, 4. Januar 2022 um 18:35:19 UTC+1:
> > On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 12:40:10 PM UTC+2, in...@hagl.de wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I do first test with Windows 11 and xHb console application.
> > > The problem seems to be the font to use in console.
> > > When using raster font, german umlauts and frame characters are shown correct. But when using Lucida Console, all Characters above Ascii 128 are not shown correct.
> > > Before Windows 11, this was no problem.
> > >
> > > I am grateful for any advice.
> > >
> > > Michael Hagl.
> > Eventually you might want to try out the procedures described below for configuring compatibility mode:
> > https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/run-older-programs-in-compatibility-mode-in-windows-11-10/
> Hi Ella,
>
> I think it´s no problem of compatibility. The only problem seems to not using the raster font for DOS-Box.
> On Win 10 I can use Lucida Console without any Problems, but on Win 11 there are no Umlauts even I set chcp 437 before starting program.
> But sometimes the output on screen is correct although i use Lucida Console as font.
> This seems to work in DOS-Box or starting the programm in batch file.
> But when starting the program.exe direct with double click, then how to change codepage and font?
>
> This is very misterious.
>
> Michael

"Compatibility mode" is making certain assumptions regarding the code pages and font families (between others).
If I were you I'd try out the options offered in the "troubleshooting" check list (one at a time).
Also make sure that the computer's locale settings are configured for the German language (like your customers do have it).
I don't yet have a Windows 11 machine, I cannot test it further.

Re: Windows 11 Screenfont in console

<87af01d8-ca5a-429b-963b-a9f995b9337en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16906&group=comp.lang.xharbour#16906

Newsgroups: comp.lang.xharbour
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 13:03:52 -0800 (PST)
From: ellailona@gmail.com (Ella Stern)
 by: Ella Stern - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 21:03 UTC

On Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 10:36:52 PM UTC+2, Ella Stern wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 8:52:42 PM UTC+2, in...@hagl.de wrote:

> > > Eventually you might want to try out the procedures described below for configuring compatibility mode:
> > > https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/run-older-programs-in-compatibility-mode-in-windows-11-10/
> > Hi Ella,
> >
> > I think it´s no problem of compatibility. The only problem seems to not using the raster font for DOS-Box.
> > On Win 10 I can use Lucida Console without any Problems, but on Win 11 there are no Umlauts even I set chcp 437 before starting program.
> > But sometimes the output on screen is correct although i use Lucida Console as font.
> > This seems to work in DOS-Box or starting the programm in batch file.
> > But when starting the program.exe direct with double click, then how to change codepage and font?
> >
> > This is very misterious.
> >
> > Michael
> "Compatibility mode" is making certain assumptions regarding the code pages and font families (between others).
> If I were you I'd try out the options offered in the "troubleshooting" check list (one at a time).
> Also make sure that the computer's locale settings are configured for the German language (like your customers do have it).
> I don't yet have a Windows 11 machine, I cannot test it further.

The "non-unicode" language should be German:
https://websiteforstudents.com/how-to-change-system-locale-in-windows-11/
and after restarting the machine delete the desktop shortcut icon of your proggy, and create a new one (the old is carrying the properties of the old locale etc).

Re: Windows 11 Screenfont in console

<54fcd2b8-baf2-40ff-9fc2-d43ef88a110bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16909&group=comp.lang.xharbour#16909

Newsgroups: comp.lang.xharbour
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 00:06:42 -0800 (PST)
From: info@hagl.de (Michael Hagl)
 by: Michael Hagl - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 08:06 UTC

Ella Stern schrieb am Dienstag, 4. Januar 2022 um 22:03:53 UTC+1:
> On Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 10:36:52 PM UTC+2, Ella Stern wrote:

> > > Hi Ella,
> > >
> > > I think it´s no problem of compatibility. The only problem seems to not using the raster font for DOS-Box.
> > > On Win 10 I can use Lucida Console without any Problems, but on Win 11 there are no Umlauts even I set chcp 437 before starting program.
> > > But sometimes the output on screen is correct although i use Lucida Console as font.
> > > This seems to work in DOS-Box or starting the programm in batch file.
> > > But when starting the program.exe direct with double click, then how to change codepage and font?
> > >
> > > This is very misterious.
> > >
> > > Michael
> > "Compatibility mode" is making certain assumptions regarding the code pages and font families (between others).
> > If I were you I'd try out the options offered in the "troubleshooting" check list (one at a time).
> > Also make sure that the computer's locale settings are configured for the German language (like your customers do have it).
> > I don't yet have a Windows 11 machine, I cannot test it further.
> The "non-unicode" language should be German:
> https://websiteforstudents.com/how-to-change-system-locale-in-windows-11/
> and after restarting the machine delete the desktop shortcut icon of your proggy, and create a new one (the old is carrying the properties of the old locale etc).

Thank you Ella,

I will try it the next days.
At the moment I only do some tests with win11 because in the foreseeable future a customer with Windows 11 will come along.

Michael.

Re: Windows 11 Screenfont in console

<ddfa1897-d869-4769-b517-b9b8ab4bed3dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17180&group=comp.lang.xharbour#17180

Newsgroups: comp.lang.xharbour
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 03:43:54 -0800 (PST)
From: rfumagalli@gmail.com (Roberto Romeo)
 by: Roberto Romeo - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 11:43 UTC

Il giorno mercoledì 5 gennaio 2022 alle 09:06:43 UTC+1 in...@hagl.de ha scritto:
> Ella Stern schrieb am Dienstag, 4. Januar 2022 um 22:03:53 UTC+1:

> > > "Compatibility mode" is making certain assumptions regarding the code pages and font families (between others).
> > > If I were you I'd try out the options offered in the "troubleshooting" check list (one at a time).
> > > Also make sure that the computer's locale settings are configured for the German language (like your customers do have it).
> > > I don't yet have a Windows 11 machine, I cannot test it further.
> > The "non-unicode" language should be German:
> > https://websiteforstudents.com/how-to-change-system-locale-in-windows-11/
> > and after restarting the machine delete the desktop shortcut icon of your proggy, and create a new one (the old is carrying the properties of the old locale etc).
> Thank you Ella,
>
> I will try it the next days.
> At the moment I only do some tests with win11 because in the foreseeable future a customer with Windows 11 will come along.
>
> Michael.
Hello Michael,

by default Windows 11 use PowerShell to run console applications.
I solved problems related to screen and fonts by force Windows to use the old Command Prompt (Windows Console Host).

Best regards,
Roberto