God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.

devel / comp.lang.xharbour / Re: look at my 2 simple samples

SubjectAuthor
* Re: look at my 2 simple samplesCV
`- Re: look at my 2 simple samplesDan

1
Re: look at my 2 simple samples

<06ba21ab-f353-4233-9922-9a3700a32436n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17174&group=comp.lang.xharbour#17174

Newsgroups: comp.lang.xharbour
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 15:12:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: look at my 2 simple samples
From: cvoskian@gmail.com (CV)
 by: CV - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 23:12 UTC

El lunes, 10 de marzo de 2008 a la(s) 14:07:00 UTC-2, D.Campagna escribió:
> gust...@pochtamt.ru ha scritto:
> >
> > It seems slow because I used delays (3 sec): one - when user can look
> > which "cells" will burn or die in next generation; and one more - when
> > user can look to new generation (all "cells" shows as WHITE). But
> > program itself works fast (let's download sources and comment delays).
> >
> I wrote a version of Life in pure Clipper years ago, (then many variants
> with cells "eating" other cells, simulating an eco-system) and it was
> ssllloooowwwww without any imposed delay!... my fault not to realize
> that machines are very different now and such a slow recalc rate was
> impossible.
> > Thanks! I never worked with "open source" before - it's SO
> > interesting! :))
> After spending many years with the fear that someone could steal my
> precious sources, when I finally put something in PD I realized I had to
> ask for someone to give a look to them. Amazing! :-)
> > P.S. With new version of HMG (Harbour MiniGUI Extended v1.4.49 - with
> > new version of Harbour) I recieved some "strange" effects (after
> > 6-8-10 generations I see square grey "holes" instead of any cells; I
> > think - it's memory leak errors in MiniGUI or Harbour). I wrote to
> > Grigory Filatov (Russian guru in MiniGUI problems) about that - he
> > promised to look...
> Sorry, I can't be of any help, I tried HMG but then switched to HWgui
> and WVW...
> Regards
> D. Campagna

Hi

Is there any one willing to share the code of "Life" based on the idea of Mr. John Conway?
The link provided in the first thread is dead.

Best regards
--
Claudio Voskian
Buenos Aires - Argentina

Re: look at my 2 simple samples

<tpgiek$4jq1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17175&group=comp.lang.xharbour#17175

From: webmaster@appliserver.com (Dan)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.xharbour
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 09:15:15 +0100
 by: Dan - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 08:15 UTC

Il 02/01/2023 00:12, CV ha scritto:
> El lunes, 10 de marzo de 2008 a la(s) 14:07:00 UTC-2, D.Campagna escribió:
>> gust...@pochtamt.ru ha scritto:
>>>
>>> It seems slow because I used delays (3 sec): one - when user can look
>>> which "cells" will burn or die in next generation; and one more - when
>>> user can look to new generation (all "cells" shows as WHITE). But
>>> program itself works fast (let's download sources and comment delays).
>>>
>> I wrote a version of Life in pure Clipper years ago, (then many variants
>> with cells "eating" other cells, simulating an eco-system) and it was
>> ssllloooowwwww without any imposed delay!... my fault not to realize
>> that machines are very different now and such a slow recalc rate was
>> impossible.
>>> Thanks! I never worked with "open source" before - it's SO
>>> interesting! :))
>> After spending many years with the fear that someone could steal my
>> precious sources, when I finally put something in PD I realized I had to
>> ask for someone to give a look to them. Amazing! :-)
>>> P.S. With new version of HMG (Harbour MiniGUI Extended v1.4.49 - with
>>> new version of Harbour) I recieved some "strange" effects (after
>>> 6-8-10 generations I see square grey "holes" instead of any cells; I
>>> think - it's memory leak errors in MiniGUI or Harbour). I wrote to
>>> Grigory Filatov (Russian guru in MiniGUI problems) about that - he
>>> promised to look...
>> Sorry, I can't be of any help, I tried HMG but then switched to HWgui
>> and WVW...
>> Regards
>> D. Campagna
>
> Hi
>
> Is there any one willing to share the code of "Life" based on the idea of Mr. John Conway?
> The link provided in the first thread is dead.
>
> Best regards
> --
> Claudio Voskian
> Buenos Aires - Argentina

Wow! My post is 14 years old now, and refers to a program I wrote years
before. (In fact it was 1999, more or less). I'll see if I still have
the sources somewhere.
Amazing!
Dan