"The medium is the message." -- Marshall McLuhan

devel / comp.lang.lisp / Survey on how software engineers search for architectural information

SubjectAuthor
* Survey on how software engineers search for architectural informationMusenga JD木森
`* Re: Survey on how software engineers search for architectural informationHope Rouselle
 `* Re: Survey on how software engineers search for architecturalJeff Barnett
  +* OT: on surveys (Was: Re: Survey on how software engineers ...)Hope Rouselle
  |`* Re: OT: on surveys (Was: Re: Survey on how software engineers ...)Kaz Kylheku
  | +* Re: OT: on surveysMadhu
  | |`- Re: OT: on surveysHope Rouselle
  | `- Re: OT: on surveysHope Rouselle
  `- Re: Survey on how software engineers search for architectural informationMadhu

1
Survey on how software engineers search for architectural information

<c4f47ca9-2309-43eb-88cb-ca201de31526n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16669&group=comp.lang.lisp#16669

Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 19:44:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Survey on how software engineers search for architectural information
From: mjados@gmail.com (Musenga JD木森)
 by: Musenga JD木森 - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 02:44 UTC

Hello Everyone ,
I would like to ask for your support. I am a PhD student working on software architecture. I am currently exploring how developers search for architectural information in software development. I conduct a survey to investigate how architectural information is searched, how the usefulness of retrieved architectural information is assessed, etc., to support development tasks, and the challenges developers face. This questionnaire will take about 5-10 minutes. All the responses will be anonymized and we will not share your personal information with anyone else. The results of the survey will be shared with all the participants via the email addresses recorded. To do this, we need YOUR opinion! The survey is at: https://tinyurl.com/searchai
Thank you for your participation!
Kind regards,
Musenga Jean de Dieu
Wuhan University

Re: Survey on how software engineers search for architectural information

<86bl4b8rc3.fsf@jevedi.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16670&group=comp.lang.lisp#16670

From: hrouselle@jevedi.com (Hope Rouselle)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 10:05:32 -0300
 by: Hope Rouselle - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 13:05 UTC

Musenga JD木森 <mjados@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Everyone ,
> I would like to ask for your support. I am a PhD student working on
> software architecture. I am currently exploring how developers search
> for architectural information in software development. I conduct a
> survey to investigate how architectural information is searched, how
> the usefulness of retrieved architectural information is assessed,
> etc., to support development tasks, and the challenges developers
> face. This questionnaire will take about 5-10 minutes. All the
> information with anyone else. The results of the survey will be shared
> with all the participants via the email addresses recorded. To do
> this, we need YOUR opinion! The survey is at:
> https://tinyurl.com/searchai
> Thank you for your participation!

You don't explain what is architectural information. What is that?

Re: Survey on how software engineers search for architectural information

<sj24lq$v8v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16671&group=comp.lang.lisp#16671

From: jbb@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Subject: Re: Survey on how software engineers search for architectural
information
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 10:36:06 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 16:36 UTC

On 9/29/2021 7:05 AM, Hope Rouselle wrote:
> Musenga JD木森 <mjados@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello Everyone ,
>> I would like to ask for your support. I am a PhD student working on
>> software architecture. I am currently exploring how developers search
>> for architectural information in software development. I conduct a
>> survey to investigate how architectural information is searched, how
>> the usefulness of retrieved architectural information is assessed,
>> etc., to support development tasks, and the challenges developers
>> face. This questionnaire will take about 5-10 minutes. All the
>> information with anyone else. The results of the survey will be shared
>> with all the participants via the email addresses recorded. To do
>> this, we need YOUR opinion! The survey is at:
>> https://tinyurl.com/searchai
>> Thank you for your participation!
>
> You don't explain what is architectural information. What is that?
I took the survey. At the end I noted the same problem and stated
something to the effect that "I bet our definitions of architecture are
not the same." That conclusion was drawn from the type of questions
asked. I also opined that this wasn't, in my mind, a very good
dissertation topic.
--
Jeff Barnett

OT: on surveys (Was: Re: Survey on how software engineers ...)

<86tui06ze2.fsf_-_@jevedi.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16672&group=comp.lang.lisp#16672

From: hrouselle@jevedi.com (Hope Rouselle)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Subject: OT: on surveys (Was: Re: Survey on how software engineers ...)
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 21:31:17 -0300
 by: Hope Rouselle - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 00:31 UTC

Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> writes:

[...]

>>> Thank you for your participation!
>> You don't explain what is architectural information. What is that?
>
> I took the survey. At the end I noted the same problem and stated
> something to the effect that "I bet our definitions of architecture
> are not the same." That conclusion was drawn from the type of
> questions asked. I also opined that this wasn't, in my mind, a very
> good dissertation topic.

Such is life.

At my university this semester, a group of teachers asked students in
the introductory programming course to fill out a form reporting their
opinions on the course. To fill out the form, you had to be logged in
with your account and the form captured your account. The turn out was
very low, of course.

Re: Survey on how software engineers search for architectural information

<m3mtnrzapc.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16673&group=comp.lang.lisp#16673

From: enometh@meer.net (Madhu)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 21:21:43 +0530
sha1:pbza7bbOmFdKdTN94juIoiHG5w8=
 by: Madhu - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 15:51 UTC

* Jeff Barnett <sj24lq$v8v$1@dont-email.me> :
Wrote on Wed, 29 Sep 2021 10:36:06 -0600:
> On 9/29/2021 7:05 AM, Hope Rouselle wrote:
>> Musenga <mjados@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hello Everyone ,
>>> I would like to ask for your support. I am a PhD student working on
>>> software architecture. I am currently exploring how developers search
>>> for architectural information in software development. I conduct a
>>> survey to investigate how architectural information is searched, how
>>> the usefulness of retrieved architectural information is assessed,
>>> etc., to support development tasks, and the challenges developers
>>> face. This questionnaire will take about 5-10 minutes. All the
>>> information with anyone else. The results of the survey will be shared
>>> with all the participants via the email addresses recorded. To do
>>> this, we need YOUR opinion! The survey is at:
>>> https://tinyurl.com/searchai
>>> Thank you for your participation!
>> You don't explain what is architectural information. What is that?
>
> I took the survey. At the end I noted the same problem and stated
> something to the effect that "I bet our definitions of architecture
> are not the same." That conclusion was drawn from the type of
> questions asked. I also opined that this wasn't, in my mind, a very
> good dissertation topic.

I didn't get past the first page beyond the google docs javascript, and
didn't see the questions.

But i think the loosest definition for "software architecture" would
work - (displayed by google on its search results page - without further
attribution)

"Software architecture exposes the structure of a system while hiding
the implementation details. Architecture also focuses on how the
elements and components within a system interact with one
other. Software design delves deeper into the implementation details of
the system."

Architectural information is information about the software
archictecture - without having to grok all the implementation code.

I think it is a relevant topic to choose if the candidate can get at
some info. Huge open source projects from the big name vendors, it is
pretty hard to get at the structure (at least outside of the employed
software teams) I think the architectural information is often not
public.

Re: OT: on surveys (Was: Re: Survey on how software engineers ...)

<20211002095803.753@kylheku.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16674&group=comp.lang.lisp#16674

From: 480-992-1380@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 17:00:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Kaz Kylheku - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 17:00 UTC

On 2021-10-02, Hope Rouselle <hrouselle@jevedi.com> wrote:
> Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>>> You don't explain what is architectural information. What is that?
>>
>> I took the survey. At the end I noted the same problem and stated
>> something to the effect that "I bet our definitions of architecture
>> are not the same." That conclusion was drawn from the type of
>> questions asked. I also opined that this wasn't, in my mind, a very
>> good dissertation topic.
>
> Such is life.
>
> At my university this semester, a group of teachers asked students in
> the introductory programming course to fill out a form reporting their
> opinions on the course. To fill out the form, you had to be logged in
> with your account and the form captured your account. The turn out was
> very low, of course.

Did that group of teachers never take a stats course? Even with anonymity,
you get biased information, never mind without it.

I hope for their sake that they are not that stupid; that it is
something that came down from higher up in the administration that they
begrudgingly implemented.

Re: OT: on surveys

<m3ilyezzcn.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16675&group=comp.lang.lisp#16675

From: enometh@meer.net (Madhu)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Subject: Re: OT: on surveys
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 06:41:36 +0530
sha1:iO4P/3e3otQkLVEbOtydOzOzVrQ=
 by: Madhu - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 01:11 UTC

* Kaz Kylheku <20211002095803.753@kylheku.com> :
Wrote on Sat, 2 Oct 2021 17:00:26 -0000 (UTC):

> Did that group of teachers never take a stats course? Even with anonymity,
> you get biased information, never mind without it.
>
> I hope for their sake that they are not that stupid; that it is
> something that came down from higher up in the administration that they
> begrudgingly implemented.

Bogus consolation. If they are enslaved like this to higher
administration they are already stupid, beyond stupid.

Re: OT: on surveys

<86mtno6ghy.fsf@jevedi.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16676&group=comp.lang.lisp#16676

From: hrouselle@jevedi.com (Hope Rouselle)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 10:56:09 -0300
 by: Hope Rouselle - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 13:56 UTC

Kaz Kylheku <480-992-1380@kylheku.com> writes:

> On 2021-10-02, Hope Rouselle <hrouselle@jevedi.com> wrote:
>> Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> I took the survey. At the end I noted the same problem and stated
>>> something to the effect that "I bet our definitions of architecture
>>> are not the same." That conclusion was drawn from the type of
>>> questions asked. I also opined that this wasn't, in my mind, a very
>>> good dissertation topic.
>>
>> Such is life.
>>
>> At my university this semester, a group of teachers asked students in
>> the introductory programming course to fill out a form reporting their
>> opinions on the course. To fill out the form, you had to be logged in
>> with your account and the form captured your account. The turn out was
>> very low, of course.
>
> Did that group of teachers never take a stats course? Even with
> anonymity, you get biased information, never mind without it.

That makes sense.

The sad answer is that all of them must have taken a stats course.

> I hope for their sake that they are not that stupid; that it is
> something that came down from higher up in the administration that they
> begrudgingly implemented.

I'd feel better that way --- momentarily.

Re: OT: on surveys

<86bl446g2r.fsf@jevedi.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16677&group=comp.lang.lisp#16677

From: hrouselle@jevedi.com (Hope Rouselle)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 11:05:16 -0300
 by: Hope Rouselle - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 14:05 UTC

Madhu <enometh@meer.net> writes:

> * Kaz Kylheku <20211002095803.753@kylheku.com> :
> Wrote on Sat, 2 Oct 2021 17:00:26 -0000 (UTC):
>
>> Did that group of teachers never take a stats course? Even with anonymity,
>> you get biased information, never mind without it.
>>
>> I hope for their sake that they are not that stupid; that it is
>> something that came down from higher up in the administration that they
>> begrudgingly implemented.
>
> Bogus consolation. If they are enslaved like this to higher
> administration they are already stupid, beyond stupid.

Well observed.

devel / comp.lang.lisp / Survey on how software engineers search for architectural information