You will never amount to much. -- Munich Schoolmaster, to Albert Einstein, age 10

devel / comp.lang.lisp / Re: SBCL: help; loading a file

SubjectAuthor
* SBCL: help; loading a filesteve
+* Re: SBCL: help; loading a filesteve
|+* Re: SBCL: help; loading a fileTom Russ
||`- Re: SBCL: help; loading a filesteve
|`- Re: SBCL: help; loading a filesteve
+* Re: SBCL: help; loading a fileTom Russ
|`- Re: SBCL: help; loading a filesteve
`- Re: SBCL: help; loading a filesteve

1
SBCL: help; loading a file

<84fsvwhgaf.fsf@loft.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16651&group=comp.lang.lisp#16651

From: steve@loft.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me (steve)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Subject: SBCL: help; loading a file
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 19:05:44 -0400
 by: steve - Thu, 29 Jul 2021 23:05 UTC

ARG!

How does one load a file into sbcl from the command line; when I load
everything from emacs/slime it's find but with the (load "file") it does
not.

This is the file. How do I I load these sexps into sbcl short of dumping
an image? It's driving me crazy... No loading it in as a file with
`load' does not work. I must load it by hand at the terminal. I am
missing something stupid or is the repl in a different thread or
something?

(require :sb-posix)
(load "packages")
(load-shared-object "./tty_modes.so" )
(load "local")
(load "termdata")
(load "terminfo")
(terminfo:set-termtype "linux3.0")
(load "screen")
(screen:tty-device-open "/dev/tty")
(in-package :screen)
(load "display")
(load "motion")
;;(tty-device-termios-set :packet)
(dprompt)

I do not know how to use defsystem or asdf; that never seems to work for
me. I have the c file, so I just use makefiles. I also do not have quick
lisp. Does this make a difference?

Re: SBCL: help; loading a file

<84wnp84qiu.fsf@loft.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16652&group=comp.lang.lisp#16652

From: steve@loft.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me (steve)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Subject: Re: SBCL: help; loading a file
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 20:03:05 -0400
 by: steve - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 00:03 UTC

steve <steve@loft.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>
writes:

> ARG!
>
> How does one load a file into sbcl from the command line; when I load
> everything from emacs/slime it's find but with the (load "file") it does
> not.
>
> This is the file. How do I I load these sexps into sbcl short of dumping
> an image? It's driving me crazy... No loading it in as a file with
> `load' does not work. I must load it by hand at the terminal. I am
> missing something stupid or is the repl in a different thread or
> something?
>

> (require :sb-posix)
> (load "packages")
> (load-shared-object "./tty_modes.so" )
> (load "local")
> (load "termdata")
> (load "terminfo")
> (terminfo:set-termtype "linux3.0")
> (load "screen")
> (screen:tty-device-open "/dev/tty")
> (in-package :screen)

The `in-package' does not work. I am I in the right thread? Should I try
and put SBCL into interp mode. It's like it won't stop...

> (load "display")
> (load "motion")
> ;;(tty-device-termios-set :packet)

> (dprompt)

Even (screen::dpromp)

Driving me nuts. All this code works and I get stuck here - ahh nothing new.

> I do not know how to use defsystem or asdf; that never seems to work for

Maybe so? Does defsystem do c files with a c compiler?

> me. I have the c file, so I just use makefiles. I also do not have quick
> lisp. Does this make a difference?

Any info/tutorials on the defsystem would be helpful...

Re: SBCL: help; loading a file

<97d2873d-bbf6-4828-aa9b-f9201a6803a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16653&group=comp.lang.lisp#16653

Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 23:35:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: taruss@google.com (Tom Russ)
 by: Tom Russ - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 06:35 UTC

On Thursday, July 29, 2021 at 4:06:02 PM UTC-7, steve wrote:
> ARG!
>
> How does one load a file into sbcl from the command line; when I load
> everything from emacs/slime it's find but with the (load "file") it does
> not.
>
> This is the file. How do I I load these sexps into sbcl short of dumping
> an image? It's driving me crazy... No loading it in as a file with
> `load' does not work. I must load it by hand at the terminal. I am
> missing something stupid or is the repl in a different thread or
> something?
>

> (require :sb-posix)
> (load "packages")
> (load-shared-object "./tty_modes.so" )
> (load "local")
> (load "termdata")
> (load "terminfo")
> (terminfo:set-termtype "linux3.0")
> (load "screen")
> (screen:tty-device-open "/dev/tty")
> (in-package :screen)
> (load "display")
> (load "motion")
> ;;(tty-device-termios-set :packet)
> (dprompt)
>

> I do not know how to use defsystem or asdf; that never seems to work for
> me. I have the c file, so I just use makefiles. I also do not have quick
> lisp. Does this make a difference?

What goes wrong when you try this?

One thing that will happen, however, is that LOAD will see to it that certain
things in a loaded file are scoped to that file.
In particular, *PACKAGE* is bound whie loading the file, so if you try to
use IN-PACKAGE it will only apply during the file that is being loaded but
the package will then revert to its value from before calling LOAD.

It seems to work when I do the following simple test from my command line with sbcl:

$ cat >/tmp/foo.lisp <<END
> (print "foo file loaded")
> END
$ cat >/tmp/bar.lisp <<END
> (print "bar file loaded")
> END
$ cat >/tmp/baz.lisp <<END
> (load "/tmp/foo.lisp")
> (load "/tmp/bar.lisp")
> END
$ sbcl
This is SBCL 2.1.1.debian, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.
More information about SBCL is available at <http://www.sbcl.org/>.

SBCL is free software, provided as is, with absolutely no warranty.
It is mostly in the public domain; some portions are provided under
BSD-style licenses. See the CREDITS and COPYING files in the
distribution for more information.
* (load "/tmp/baz")

"foo file loaded"
"bar file loaded"
T *

Re: SBCL: help; loading a file

<95e48d55-f62a-4f00-a447-38f19e2672c6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16654&group=comp.lang.lisp#16654

Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 23:43:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: taruss@google.com (Tom Russ)
 by: Tom Russ - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 06:43 UTC

On Thursday, July 29, 2021 at 5:03:17 PM UTC-7, steve wrote:
> steve <st...@loft.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>
> writes:
> > ARG!
> >
> > How does one load a file into sbcl from the command line; when I load
> > everything from emacs/slime it's find but with the (load "file") it does
> > not.
> >
> > This is the file. How do I I load these sexps into sbcl short of dumping
> > an image? It's driving me crazy... No loading it in as a file with
> > `load' does not work. I must load it by hand at the terminal. I am
> > missing something stupid or is the repl in a different thread or
> > something?
> >

> > (require :sb-posix)
> > (load "packages")
> > (load-shared-object "./tty_modes.so" )
> > (load "local")
> > (load "termdata")
> > (load "terminfo")

What type of files are these?
Lisp source code (with extension .lisp?)
Compiled code? This can make a difference.

> > (terminfo:set-termtype "linux3.0")
> > (load "screen")
> > (screen:tty-device-open "/dev/tty")
> > (in-package :screen)
> The `in-package' does not work. I am I in the right thread? Should I try
> and put SBCL into interp mode. It's like it won't stop...

How does IN-PACKAGE not work?
It should cause the current package to be :SCREEN (assuming such a package
exists. I would guess this should have been created in the file "packages")
This will only be true for the remainder of the file that you are loading.

> > (load "display")
> > (load "motion")
> > ;;(tty-device-termios-set :packet)
>
> > (dprompt)
> Even (screen::dpromp)
Are these function calls inside the file you are loading?
Or do they come after the loading finishes?
What is the value of *PACKAGE* before you call these functions?

It seems, then, that the problem is not with loading the files, necessarily,
but something else in how

> Driving me nuts. All this code works and I get stuck here - ahh nothing new.
> > I do not know how to use defsystem or asdf; that never seems to work for
> Maybe so? Does defsystem do c files with a c compiler?

I'm not sure about this. It's been a while since I looked at DEFSYSTEM
in detail.

> > me. I have the c file, so I just use makefiles. I also do not have quick
> > lisp. Does this make a difference?

These tools can make managing systems, especially large ones easier.
But they aren't required to load files if you want to manage those dependencies
on your own.

> Any info/tutorials on the defsystem would be helpful...
The DEFSYSTEM code should be commented. In any case there is documentation
available.
You could start here: https://common-lisp.net/project/asdf/asdf/index.html

Re: SBCL: help; loading a file

<wtKdndo66vf3EJX8nZ2dnUU7-QOdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16655&group=comp.lang.lisp#16655

Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
From: loft@centurylink.net (steve)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 20:27:20 -0400
 by: steve - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 00:27 UTC

On 7/29/21 7:05 PM, steve wrote:

> ARG!
>
> How does one load a file into sbcl from the command line; when I load
> everything from emacs/slime it's find but with the (load "file") it does
> not.
>
> This is the file. How do I I load these sexps into sbcl short of dumping
> an image? It's driving me crazy... No loading it in as a file with
> `load' does not work. I must load it by hand at the terminal. I am
> missing something stupid or is the repl in a different thread or
> something?
>

> (require :sb-posix)
> (load "packages")
> (load-shared-object "./tty_modes.so" )
> (load "local")
> (load "termdata")
> (load "terminfo")
> (terminfo:set-termtype "linux3.0")
> (load "screen")
> (screen:tty-device-open "/dev/tty")
> (in-package :screen)
> (load "display")
> (load "motion")
> ;;(tty-device-termios-set :packet)
> (dprompt)

You big dummy - you left out the pty number! It was working - like duh.

Re: SBCL: help; loading a file

<84v94jfdnb.fsf@loft.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16656&group=comp.lang.lisp#16656

From: steve@loft.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me (steve)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 23:36:08 -0400
 by: steve - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 03:36 UTC

Tom Russ <taruss@google.com> writes:

>> > (require :sb-posix)
>> > (load "packages")
>> > (load-shared-object "./tty_modes.so" )
>> > (load "local")
>> > (load "termdata")
>> > (load "terminfo")
>
> What type of files are these?
> Lisp source code (with extension .lisp?)
> Compiled code? This can make a difference.

Yes, they are compiled fasl files. I trimmded it a bit today. still have
to use gpm to cut and paste the following code in. I have tried running
as a script --load

I know that I am not supposed to import posix package whole sale; but
I'm still working on the program. What is the difference between the
sb-posix: and sb-unix: packages? I am using the sb-posix. It working
well for me. Better than trying to rewrite C in lisp.

#!/opt/sbcl/bin/sbcl --script

(load "packages")
(load "local")
(load "termdata")
(load "terminfo")
(terminfo:set-termtype "linux3.0")
(in-package :screen)
(load "screen")
(screen:tty-device-open "/dev/tty")
(load "motion")

(define-symbol-macro *cm-in* (screen-input (current-screen)))
(define-symbol-macro *cm-out* (screen-output (current-screen)))

(defvar *res*)
(setq *res* nil)

(defun prompt-close ()
(tty-device-termios-set :reset)
(cm-cursor-normal)
(tty-device-close))

(defun display-buffer (str)
(cm-cursor-home)
(cm-parm-ich (length str))
(write-string str *cm-out*))

(defun display-prompt ()
(cm-cursor-to-ll)
(CM-ENTER-STANDOUT-MODE)
(write-string "Prompt: >" *cm-out*)
(cm-exit-standout-mode)
(cm-insert-character)
(cm-clr-eol))

(defun display-prompt-loop ()
(do ((ch (read-char *cm-in* nil 'eof)
(read-char *cm-in* nil 'eof)))
((or (eql ch #\x ) (eql ch 'eof))
(prompt-close)
(terpri)
(pprint (reverse *res*)))
(push ch *res*)
(display-buffer (format nil "[~d]" (char-code ch)))
(display-prompt) ))

(defun dprompt ()
(cm-clear-screen)
(tty-device-termios-set :packet)
(cm-cursor-invisible)
(cm-cursor-to-ll)
(display-prompt-loop))

(dprompt)

# EOF

If I cut and paste it between terminals with gpm it works fine! Is this
a tpl thing? I just made a dot-sbcl,rc

;;; -*- Mode: common-lisp; -*-
;;; sbcl.rc
;;; Date: 2021-08-05 18:44:36-05:00

(setq *evaluator-mode* :interpret)
(setq *read-default-float-format* 'rational)
(setq *read-default-float-format* 'rational)
(setq *PRINT-CIRCLE* t)
(setq *print-escape* nil)
(setq SB-INT:*PRINT-IR-NODES-PRETTY* t)
(setq *print-radix* nil)
(setq *DISASSEMBLE-ANNOTATE* t)
(setq *print-right-margin* 80)

I'm thinking that I might need an setq-toplevel or defglobal or _NOP()
or something? Dunno,..

Re: SBCL: help; loading a file

<84r1f7fcpk.fsf@loft.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16657&group=comp.lang.lisp#16657

From: steve@loft.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me (steve)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 23:56:23 -0400
 by: steve - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 03:56 UTC

Tom Russ <taruss@google.com> writes:

> What goes wrong when you try this?

Nothing! ARG! Did I turn off the echo handling or something?

> One thing that will happen, however, is that LOAD will see to it that certain
> things in a loaded file are scoped to that file.
> In particular, *PACKAGE* is bound whie loading the file, so if you try to
> use IN-PACKAGE it will only apply during the file that is being loaded but

Yes; the functions are all defined as exports in the file packages.lisp.
I do not see the sence in compiling this file.

> the package will then revert to its value from before calling LOAD.
>
> It seems to work when I do the following simple test from my command line with sbcl:
>
> $ cat >/tmp/foo.lisp <<END
>> (print "foo file loaded")
>> END
> $ cat >/tmp/bar.lisp <<END
>> (print "bar file loaded")
>> END
> $ cat >/tmp/baz.lisp <<END
>> (load "/tmp/foo.lisp")
>> (load "/tmp/bar.lisp")
>> END
> $ sbcl
> This is SBCL 2.1.1.debian, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.
> More information about SBCL is available at <http://www.sbcl.org/>.
>
> SBCL is free software, provided as is, with absolutely no warranty.
> It is mostly in the public domain; some portions are provided under
> BSD-style licenses. See the CREDITS and COPYING files in the
> distribution for more information.
> * (load "/tmp/baz")
>
> "foo file loaded"
> "bar file loaded"
> *

Re: SBCL: help; loading a file

<84mtpvfago.fsf@loft.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16658&group=comp.lang.lisp#16658

From: steve@loft.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me (steve)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 00:44:55 -0400
 by: steve - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 04:44 UTC

writes:

> steve <steve@loft.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>
> writes:
>
>> ARG!
>>
>> How does one load a file into sbcl from the command line; when I load
>> everything from emacs/slime it's find but with the (load "file") it does
>> not.
>>
>> This is the file. How do I I load these sexps into sbcl short of dumping
>> an image? It's driving me crazy... No loading it in as a file with
>> `load' does not work. I must load it by hand at the terminal. I am
>> missing something stupid or is the repl in a different thread or
>> something?
>>

>> (require :sb-posix)
>> (load "packages")
>> (load-shared-object "./tty_modes.so" )
>> (load "local")
>> (load "termdata")
>> (load "terminfo")
>> (terminfo:set-termtype "linux3.0")
>> (load "screen")
>> (screen:tty-device-open "/dev/tty")
>> (in-package :screen)
>
> The `in-package' does not work. I am I in the right thread? Should I try
> and put SBCL into interp mode. It's like it won't stop...

I fixed it. It was the shebagn, I removed the #!/opt/sbbcl/bin --script
and it works fine, thax 4 the emotional support :)

devel / comp.lang.lisp / Re: SBCL: help; loading a file