From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Subject: "We’re_Gonna_Need_a_Bigger_Moat"_by_Steve_Yeg
ge
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 21:30:25 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 18 May 2023 02:30 UTC

"We’re Gonna Need a Bigger Moat" by Steve Yegge
https://steve-yegge.medium.com/were-gonna-need-a-bigger-moat-478a8df6a0d2

“In related news, these “billion dollar”-class LLMs can now be cloned on
macbooks and copied directly onto Boston Dynamics robots via their
Raspberry Pi adapter, at which point…”

“Oh yeah, it was training costs. Remember when it was roughly $1B to
train an LLM like GPT-4?"

“According to the leaked Google memo, world-class competitive LLM
training costs just dropped from a billion dollars to… that’s right, you
guessed it…”

"A hundred dollars.”

“Before last week, there were, oh, maybe five LLMs in GPT’s class. In
the whole world. It was like back in the 1950s when there were like five
computers in the world, and IBM owned three of them.”

“Which sounds to me like a very safe and defensible moat. That is, until
you realize LLMs can f*****’ copy each other. So their so-called “data
advantage” was really only going to be safe for as long as all the big
players kept the AIs locked up.”

“I swear this is a damn Jerry Bruckheimer movie, unfolding before our eyes.”

Uh, it did not go well for the human race in the Robopocalypse book that
I just read and reviewed. 99.9% dead in three years.
https://www.amazon.com/Robopocalypse-Contemporaries-Daniel-H-Wilson/dp/0307740803/

Lynn