<doogie> Thinking is dangerous. It leads to ideas. -- Seen on #Debian

devel / comp.protocols.dicom / Problem with reading DICOM data

SubjectAuthor
* Problem with reading DICOM dataHussam Jassim
`* Re: Problem with reading DICOM dataguiot...@gmail.com
 `* Re: Problem with reading DICOM dataHussam Jassim
  `* Re: Problem with reading DICOM dataguiot...@gmail.com
   `* Re: Problem with reading DICOM dataHussam Jassim
    `* Re: Problem with reading DICOM dataguiot...@gmail.com
     `- Re: Problem with reading DICOM dataHussam Jassim

1
Problem with reading DICOM data

<015b3986-18bd-4e3a-bead-8c32c6c431b9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=148&group=comp.protocols.dicom#148

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dicom
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 21:11:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Problem with reading DICOM data
From: husjas.iraq@gmail.com (Hussam Jassim)
 by: Hussam Jassim - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 04:11 UTC

Dear all,
Good morning,

I have two image DICOM files, and I am trying to convert them to another format. One of them works and it is smoothly converted to the required format, but fo the another one there is popup with '' there is no DICOM data'',

Is there any suggestion to deal with this problem?

Yours sincerely

Re: Problem with reading DICOM data

<f6f0d423-e6f1-4b6e-b514-8bfc86ea29adn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=149&group=comp.protocols.dicom#149

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dicom
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 02:41:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Problem with reading DICOM data
From: guiothomas@gmail.com (guiot...@gmail.com)
 by: guiot...@gmail.com - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 09:41 UTC

Le mardi 29 juin 2021 à 06:11:10 UTC+2, husja...@gmail.com a écrit :
> Dear all,
> Good morning,
>
> I have two image DICOM files, and I am trying to convert them to another format. One of them works and it is smoothly converted to the required format, but fo the another one there is popup with '' there is no DICOM data'',
>
> Is there any suggestion to deal with this problem?
>

> Yours sincerely
What tool do you use for the conversion ?

Re: Problem with reading DICOM data

<41dfca48-b3e1-4aad-8978-7041c0f944b9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=150&group=comp.protocols.dicom#150

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dicom
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 06:41:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: husjas.iraq@gmail.com (Hussam Jassim)
 by: Hussam Jassim - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 13:41 UTC

On Wednesday, 30 June 2021 at 14:11:13 UTC+4:30, guiot...@gmail.com wrote:
> Le mardi 29 juin 2021 à 06:11:10 UTC+2, husja...@gmail.com a écrit :
> > Dear all,
> > Good morning,
> >
> > I have two image DICOM files, and I am trying to convert them to another format. One of them works and it is smoothly converted to the required format, but fo the another one there is popup with '' there is no DICOM data'',
> >
> > Is there any suggestion to deal with this problem?
> >

> > Yours sincerely
> What tool do you use for the conversion ?

Thank you for your prompt reply,

I use the Computational Environment for Radiological Research (CERR). Actually, DICOM file that is exported from CT simulator is imported without problems, but DICOM-RT that contains CT, RT struct, RT plan and RT dose does not imported and I have the problem mentioned above.

Yours sincerely

Re: Problem with reading DICOM data

<f41c8c7e-0812-4de4-9bbb-635dcdd95fecn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=151&group=comp.protocols.dicom#151

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dicom
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 07:48:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: guiothomas@gmail.com (guiot...@gmail.com)
 by: guiot...@gmail.com - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 14:48 UTC

Le mercredi 30 juin 2021 à 15:41:59 UTC+2, husja...@gmail.com a écrit :
> On Wednesday, 30 June 2021 at 14:11:13 UTC+4:30, guiot...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Le mardi 29 juin 2021 à 06:11:10 UTC+2, husja...@gmail.com a écrit :
> > > Dear all,
> > > Good morning,
> > >
> > > I have two image DICOM files, and I am trying to convert them to another format. One of them works and it is smoothly converted to the required format, but fo the another one there is popup with '' there is no DICOM data'',
> > >
> > > Is there any suggestion to deal with this problem?
> > >

> > > Yours sincerely
> > What tool do you use for the conversion ?
> Thank you for your prompt reply,
>
> I use the Computational Environment for Radiological Research (CERR). Actually, DICOM file that is exported from CT simulator is imported without problems, but DICOM-RT that contains CT, RT struct, RT plan and RT dose does not imported and I have the problem mentioned above.
>

> Yours sincerely
Not sure I can help as I've never used CERR. If you can find any more detailed logs about this error, that would be helpful.

From the top of my head, I know some RT-related software export DICOM without the preamble, and some softwares don't like that. Check whether the DICOM data you're trying to import does contain a preamble or not (using a hexadecimal viewer/editor, for instance)

Re: Problem with reading DICOM data

<356f87e4-6e5e-470e-8d4d-aca64bf97d1fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=153&group=comp.protocols.dicom#153

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dicom
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 11:14:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: husjas.iraq@gmail.com (Hussam Jassim)
 by: Hussam Jassim - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 18:14 UTC

On Wednesday, 30 June 2021 at 19:18:14 UTC+4:30, guiot...@gmail.com wrote:
> Le mercredi 30 juin 2021 à 15:41:59 UTC+2, husja...@gmail.com a écrit :

> > > What tool do you use for the conversion ?
> > Thank you for your prompt reply,
> >
> > I use the Computational Environment for Radiological Research (CERR). Actually, DICOM file that is exported from CT simulator is imported without problems, but DICOM-RT that contains CT, RT struct, RT plan and RT dose does not imported and I have the problem mentioned above.
> >

> > Yours sincerely
> Not sure I can help as I've never used CERR. If you can find any more detailed logs about this error, that would be helpful.
>
> From the top of my head, I know some RT-related software export DICOM without the preamble, and some softwares don't like that. Check whether the DICOM data you're trying to import does contain a preamble or not (using a hexadecimal viewer/editor, for instance)

There is only popup with this comment (there is no DICOM data) and only one time I received the logs about the error as in the links below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EIWqb91uhK-IeCHWxfYwjCRWO3TFEHzP/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YLaUVECHeJWgXOyYYTS_hJvq452Zj_ZT/view?usp=sharing

Yours sincerely

Re: Problem with reading DICOM data

<5b008e2e-41e7-4fdf-b0db-ef32e06c20b4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=154&group=comp.protocols.dicom#154

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dicom
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 11:48:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: guiothomas@gmail.com (guiot...@gmail.com)
 by: guiot...@gmail.com - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 18:48 UTC

Le mercredi 30 juin 2021 à 20:14:25 UTC+2, husja...@gmail.com a écrit :
> On Wednesday, 30 June 2021 at 19:18:14 UTC+4:30, guiot...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Thank you for your prompt reply,
> > >
> > > I use the Computational Environment for Radiological Research (CERR). Actually, DICOM file that is exported from CT simulator is imported without problems, but DICOM-RT that contains CT, RT struct, RT plan and RT dose does not imported and I have the problem mentioned above.
> > >

> > > Yours sincerely
> > Not sure I can help as I've never used CERR. If you can find any more detailed logs about this error, that would be helpful.
> >
> > From the top of my head, I know some RT-related software export DICOM without the preamble, and some softwares don't like that. Check whether the DICOM data you're trying to import does contain a preamble or not (using a hexadecimal viewer/editor, for instance)
> There is only popup with this comment (there is no DICOM data) and only one time I received the logs about the error as in the links below:
>

> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EIWqb91uhK-IeCHWxfYwjCRWO3TFEHzP/view?usp=sharing
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YLaUVECHeJWgXOyYYTS_hJvq452Zj_ZT/view?usp=sharing
>
> Yours sincerely
from a quick look at the CERR source code, it looks like it relies on dcm4che library to determine whether files in the folder are indeed DICOM files or not. I'm not sure if dcm4che accepts the obsolete DICOM without any preamble.
In any case, files that are not recognized as proper dicom are simply removed from the list of files, and if none are recognized as DICOM, it just turns up like an empty folder, and you get this popup message.

so the files in your folder are not recognized as dicom, and probably because they're missing the preamble, or there's a mistake in the meta data.

you could use dcmtk precompiled binaries like dcmdump.exe to have a look at those files and see if there's anything wrong.

Re: Problem with reading DICOM data

<36003b10-bffd-4d08-80ff-dcbda4676cdbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=156&group=comp.protocols.dicom#156

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dicom
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 14:10:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: husjas.iraq@gmail.com (Hussam Jassim)
 by: Hussam Jassim - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 21:10 UTC

On Wednesday, 30 June 2021 at 23:18:04 UTC+4:30, guiot...@gmail.com wrote:
> Le mercredi 30 juin 2021 à 20:14:25 UTC+2, husja...@gmail.com a écrit :

> > > Not sure I can help as I've never used CERR. If you can find any more detailed logs about this error, that would be helpful.
> > >
> > > From the top of my head, I know some RT-related software export DICOM without the preamble, and some softwares don't like that. Check whether the DICOM data you're trying to import does contain a preamble or not (using a hexadecimal viewer/editor, for instance)
> > There is only popup with this comment (there is no DICOM data) and only one time I received the logs about the error as in the links below:
> >

> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EIWqb91uhK-IeCHWxfYwjCRWO3TFEHzP/view?usp=sharing
> >
> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YLaUVECHeJWgXOyYYTS_hJvq452Zj_ZT/view?usp=sharing
> >
> > Yours sincerely
> from a quick look at the CERR source code, it looks like it relies on dcm4che library to determine whether files in the folder are indeed DICOM files or not. I'm not sure if dcm4che accepts the obsolete DICOM without any preamble.
> In any case, files that are not recognized as proper dicom are simply removed from the list of files, and if none are recognized as DICOM, it just turns up like an empty folder, and you get this popup message.
>
> so the files in your folder are not recognized as dicom, and probably because they're missing the preamble, or there's a mistake in the meta data.
>
> you could use dcmtk precompiled binaries like dcmdump.exe to have a look at those files and see if there's anything wrong.

Tank you for your clarification,

Actually, it seems to be that the file was no recognized because the modality tag was defined as OT, so by reexporting with modifying the the modality tag to the RT study, the DICOM was imported and now it works.

Yours sincerely