If it has syntax, it isn't user friendly.

devel / comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects / Re: What is the future of CA Visual-Object (CAVO)

SubjectAuthor
* Re: What is the future of CA Visual-Object (CAVO)MK K d
+- Re: What is the future of CA Visual-Object (CAVO)Szepligeti Ferenc
`* Re: What is the future of CA Visual-Object (CAVO)Wolfgang Riedmann
 `- Re: What is the future of CA Visual-Object (CAVO)Vulcano Sas

1
Re: What is the future of CA Visual-Object (CAVO)

<d20edddf-adf6-45fc-ab4f-948f611c8cbdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1227&group=comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects#1227

Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 07:11:10 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: What is the future of CA Visual-Object (CAVO)
From: marcokaarsgaarn@gmail.com (MK K d)
 by: MK K d - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 15:11 UTC

Op woensdag 7 oktober 2015 om 09:59:15 UTC+2 schreef Wolfgang Riedmann:
> Hi Hanz,
>
> I'll try to answer your question:
>
> CA-VO is coming from Clipper, in MS-DOS times one of the most used
> programming languages for business software.
>
> The architects of VO (short for Visual Objects) took several ideas from
> Clipper, like codeblocks, arrays and the garbage collector combined
> with the internal macro compiler and ported them to the Windows
> platform, initially Win16 (Windows 3.1), and then Win32 (starting with
> Windows 95).
>
> Personally, I'm working with VO since it is available, and IMHO it is
> still the most productive development platform you can find for the
> Win32 platform.
> On the one side, you have high level libraries like the GUI, the RDD
> and the SQL classes, combined with potent string and array functions,
> codeblocks and a very clean language.
> On the other side, you can go down like with C and make manual memory
> allocations, pointer aritmetics and other low level functions.
>
> The main problem of VO now is the problem of the platform itself: Win32
> has its age, and will be replaced sometimes by the .NET platform.
> Therefore GrafX, the distributor of VO, has created a new product,
> Vulcan.NET, that is highly compatible to VO, and now another company
> has plans to launch another compatible product, XSharp (that currently
> is in development). Vulcan.NET actually ships in version 4.
>
> VO applications are rock solid, as is the development environment. One
> of the revolutions of VO (unfortunately missing in Vulcan.NET and
> XSharp) is the repository and the entity based compile process.
>
> If you have other questions, please ask.
>
> HTH
>
> Wolfgang
> > I'm really new to this company that i'm currently working. They gave
> > me this assignments (CAVO) for my work. I would like to ask anyone
> > with technical background to tell me if this has great future or
> > something that is on a sinking ship. What's the current state of
> > CAVO? What could I learn from this? If you don't mind, I would also
> > like to hear about some history lesson. Googling this subject does
> > not come up with too many results. Even troubleshooting is very
> > difficult. Thank you.
> --
Dear Wolfgang,

are you still programming in VO? i need help with a program bud cant find anybody who can help me.
marco@ko-ar.nl

Re: What is the future of CA Visual-Object (CAVO)

<6d688f63-784b-41e4-917e-a53fcfd147fen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1228&group=comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects#1228

Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 05:38:02 -0800 (PST)
From: szepligeti@gmail.com (Szepligeti Ferenc)
 by: Szepligeti Ferenc - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 13:38 UTC

MK K d ezt írta (2023. január 5., csütörtök, 16:11:11 UTC+1):
> Op woensdag 7 oktober 2015 om 09:59:15 UTC+2 schreef Wolfgang Riedmann:
> > Hi Hanz,
> >
> > I'll try to answer your question:
> >
> > CA-VO is coming from Clipper, in MS-DOS times one of the most used
> > programming languages for business software.
> >
> > The architects of VO (short for Visual Objects) took several ideas from
> > Clipper, like codeblocks, arrays and the garbage collector combined
> > with the internal macro compiler and ported them to the Windows
> > platform, initially Win16 (Windows 3.1), and then Win32 (starting with
> > Windows 95).
> >
> > Personally, I'm working with VO since it is available, and IMHO it is
> > still the most productive development platform you can find for the
> > Win32 platform.
> > On the one side, you have high level libraries like the GUI, the RDD
> > and the SQL classes, combined with potent string and array functions,
> > codeblocks and a very clean language.
> > On the other side, you can go down like with C and make manual memory
> > allocations, pointer aritmetics and other low level functions.
> >
> > The main problem of VO now is the problem of the platform itself: Win32
> > has its age, and will be replaced sometimes by the .NET platform.
> > Therefore GrafX, the distributor of VO, has created a new product,
> > Vulcan.NET, that is highly compatible to VO, and now another company
> > has plans to launch another compatible product, XSharp (that currently
> > is in development). Vulcan.NET actually ships in version 4.
> >
> > VO applications are rock solid, as is the development environment. One
> > of the revolutions of VO (unfortunately missing in Vulcan.NET and
> > XSharp) is the repository and the entity based compile process.
> >
> > If you have other questions, please ask.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Wolfgang
> > > I'm really new to this company that i'm currently working. They gave
> > > me this assignments (CAVO) for my work. I would like to ask anyone
> > > with technical background to tell me if this has great future or
> > > something that is on a sinking ship. What's the current state of
> > > CAVO? What could I learn from this? If you don't mind, I would also
> > > like to hear about some history lesson. Googling this subject does
> > > not come up with too many results. Even troubleshooting is very
> > > difficult. Thank you.
> > --
> Dear Wolfgang,
>
> are you still programming in VO? i need help with a program bud cant find anybody who can help me.
> ma...@ko-ar.nl

Hi,
Could you be more specific about what you need help with?
Ferenc

Re: What is the future of CA Visual-Object (CAVO)

<k25qj9FfsjkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1236&group=comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects#1236

From: wriedmann@gmail.com (Wolfgang Riedmann)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 19:54:32 +0100
 by: Wolfgang Riedmann - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 18:54 UTC

Hi Marco,

> are you still programming in VO? i need help with a program bud cant
> find anybody who can help me. marco@ko-ar.nl

I'm still working in VO (but more and more in X#).

Dou you have the sources of your programm? If not, only the author of
your program can help you as VO builds compiled executables.

What do you need?

Wolfgang

--

Re: What is the future of CA Visual-Object (CAVO)

<df745c7c-7a51-4549-aa7e-b85af9738760n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1325&group=comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects#1325

Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 02:19:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: vulcanosas1995@gmail.com (Vulcano Sas)
 by: Vulcano Sas - Fri, 19 May 2023 09:19 UTC