Subject: Re: Errors in the PostScript Language Reference Manual third edition
Newsgroups: comp.lang.postscript
From: davidn@davidnewall.com (David Newall)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 13:46:18 +1100
 by: David Newall - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 02:46 UTC

Apologies for the followup of a 30-month old posting. I have just
started reading this group.

On 2/9/19 12:19 am, jdaw1 wrote:
> Page 538 says that ‘bind’ takes a single parameter ‘proc’. But bind also works with non-procedure non-executable arrays, thus:
> [ {…} {…} … ] bind
> which correctly binds the inner {…}s.s

I think this is not an error. PostScript Language Reference 3rd
edition, 3.12.1, p118, says:

"The effect of bind applies not only to the procedure being bound but
to all subsidiary procedures (executable arrays or executable packed
arrays) contained within it, nested to arbitrary depth."

Hence, [/print cvx] bind becomes [--print--].

What is not obvious in the reference manual is that "procedure" does
not necessarily mean "executable array". It seems to mean any array.

On reflection, perhaps this is not surprising.