From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: comp.databases.mysql
Subject: Can't start the server after installation
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 11:19:19 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Mon, 10 May 2021 09:19 UTC

Hi all,

We run a Windows 10 Pro x64 pc as a server. MySQL was installed and ran
fine. No problems. Recently I tried to update it with the 8.0.24
installer. Everything worked fine, except that when applying the
configuration, the server won't start. I waited quite a long time,
untill I got a popup with the message "MySQL server 8.0.24 configuration
is taking longer than expected".
Then I stopped the proces and uninstalled the server and it's components
completely.
I installed a new server, 8.0.24. Settings: Developement (default). Same
problem, installation works fine but the server won't start. After
waiting a long time I interrupted the process and uninstalled the server
again and all of it's components. Then I installed the server again, but
now as MySQL server only.
The same problem ocurred.
What can be wrong? What can I do to make the server run?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Fokke Nauta

Re: Can't start the server after installation

<ifsdb4Fpe0gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=13&group=comp.databases.mysql#13

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: comp.databases.mysql
Subject: Re: Can't start the server after installation
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 11:39:47 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Mon, 10 May 2021 09:39 UTC

On 10/05/2021 11.19, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We run a Windows 10 Pro x64 pc as a server. MySQL was installed and ran
> fine. No problems. Recently I tried to update it with the 8.0.24
> installer. Everything worked fine, except that when applying the
> configuration, the server won't start. I waited quite a long time,
> untill I got a popup with the message "MySQL server 8.0.24 configuration
> is taking longer than expected".
> Then I stopped the proces and uninstalled the server and it's components
> completely.
> I installed a new server, 8.0.24. Settings: Developement (default). Same
> problem, installation works fine but the server won't start. After
> waiting a long time I interrupted the process and uninstalled the server
> again and all of it's components. Then I installed the server again, but
> now as MySQL server only.
> The same problem ocurred.
> What can be wrong? What can I do to make the server run?

I suggest you start your event viewer and look for events in there, sure
it had been easier if it has been searchable, but sadly closed source
products ain't that user friendly.
Stability with the combination MySQL and MS-Windows have been bad, I
would recommend to use another OS to run it on, for local testing WSL
seems to work quite ok.

I would do recommend you to test MariaDB, go for the 10.x version, it's
open with it's bug fixes which Oracle ain't. Still they are more or less
just drop in replacements for each other.

--

//Aho

Re: Can't start the server after installation

<ifsu03Fsl8lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14&group=comp.databases.mysql#14

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: comp.databases.mysql
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 16:24:04 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Mon, 10 May 2021 14:24 UTC

On 10/05/2021 11:39, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 10/05/2021 11.19, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We run a Windows 10 Pro x64 pc as a server. MySQL was installed and
>> ran fine. No problems. Recently I tried to update it with the 8.0.24
>> installer. Everything worked fine, except that when applying the
>> configuration, the server won't start. I waited quite a long time,
>> untill I got a popup with the message "MySQL server 8.0.24
>> configuration is taking longer than expected".
>> Then I stopped the proces and uninstalled the server and it's
>> components completely.
>> I installed a new server, 8.0.24. Settings: Developement (default).
>> Same problem, installation works fine but the server won't start.
>> After waiting a long time I interrupted the process and uninstalled
>> the server again and all of it's components. Then I installed the
>> server again, but now as MySQL server only.
>> The same problem ocurred.
>> What can be wrong? What can I do to make the server run?
>
> I suggest you start your event viewer and look for events in there, sure
> it had been easier if it has been searchable, but sadly closed source
> products ain't that user friendly.
> Stability with the combination MySQL and MS-Windows have been bad, I
> would recommend to use another OS to run it on, for local testing WSL
> seems to work quite ok.
>

> I would do recommend you to test MariaDB, go for the 10.x version, it's
> open with it's bug fixes which Oracle ain't. Still they are more or less
> just drop in replacements for each other.

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.
I just found the cause. Allthough during the installation I specified a
special database location, which I replaced with the original data after
the installation, MySQL didn't see the databases. I found that it looked
at a different location. After replacing those files with the original
ones, it works fine.

Using another OS is no option, unfortunately. There are many good
Linuxes around, but my knowledge of them is too little to fully use them.

Fokke

Re: Can't start the server after installation

<60998397$0$29320$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=15&group=comp.databases.mysql#15

Newsgroups: comp.databases.mysql
From: luuk@invalid.lan (Luuk)
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 21:03:52 +0200
 by: Luuk - Mon, 10 May 2021 19:03 UTC

On 10-5-2021 16:24, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> On 10/05/2021 11:39, J.O. Aho wrote:
>> On 10/05/2021 11.19, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We run a Windows 10 Pro x64 pc as a server. MySQL was installed and
>>> ran fine. No problems. Recently I tried to update it with the 8.0.24
>>> installer. Everything worked fine, except that when applying the
>>> configuration, the server won't start. I waited quite a long time,
>>> untill I got a popup with the message "MySQL server 8.0.24
>>> configuration is taking longer than expected".
>>> Then I stopped the proces and uninstalled the server and it's
>>> components completely.
>>> I installed a new server, 8.0.24. Settings: Developement (default).
>>> Same problem, installation works fine but the server won't start.
>>> After waiting a long time I interrupted the process and uninstalled
>>> the server again and all of it's components. Then I installed the
>>> server again, but now as MySQL server only.
>>> The same problem ocurred.
>>> What can be wrong? What can I do to make the server run?
>>
>> I suggest you start your event viewer and look for events in there,
>> sure it had been easier if it has been searchable, but sadly closed
>> source products ain't that user friendly.
>> Stability with the combination MySQL and MS-Windows have been bad, I
>> would recommend to use another OS to run it on, for local testing WSL
>> seems to work quite ok.
>>

>> I would do recommend you to test MariaDB, go for the 10.x version,
>> it's open with it's bug fixes which Oracle ain't. Still they are more
>> or less just drop in replacements for each other.
>>

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your quick response.
> I just found the cause. Allthough during the installation I specified a
> special database location, which I replaced with the original data after
> the installation, MySQL didn't see the databases. I found that it looked
> at a different location. After replacing those files with the original
> ones, it works fine.
>
> Using another OS is no option, unfortunately. There are many good
> Linuxes around, but my knowledge of them is too little to fully use them.
>
> Fokke

But MariaDB is not an OS,
Just as MySQL is not an OS.

Ubuntu, or Debian, that are OS.

You definitely need start reading some of the articles found here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mysql+vs+mariadb

😉

Re: Can't start the server after installation

<ifup59F8u01U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16&group=comp.databases.mysql#16

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: comp.databases.mysql
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 09:13:45 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Tue, 11 May 2021 07:13 UTC

On 10/05/2021 21:03, Luuk wrote:
> On 10-5-2021 16:24, Fokke Nauta wrote:

>>> I suggest you start your event viewer and look for events in there,
>>> sure it had been easier if it has been searchable, but sadly closed
>>> source products ain't that user friendly.
>>> Stability with the combination MySQL and MS-Windows have been bad, I
>>> would recommend to use another OS to run it on, for local testing WSL
>>> seems to work quite ok.
>>>

>>> I would do recommend you to test MariaDB, go for the 10.x version,
>>> it's open with it's bug fixes which Oracle ain't. Still they are more
>>> or less just drop in replacements for each other.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for your quick response.
>> I just found the cause. Allthough during the installation I specified
>> a special database location, which I replaced with the original data
>> after the installation, MySQL didn't see the databases. I found that
>> it looked at a different location. After replacing those files with
>> the original ones, it works fine.
>>
>> Using another OS is no option, unfortunately. There are many good
>> Linuxes around, but my knowledge of them is too little to fully use them.
>>
>> Fokke
>
> But MariaDB is not an OS,
> Just as MySQL is not an OS.
>
> Ubuntu, or Debian, that are OS.
>
> You definitely need start reading some of the articles found here:
> https://www.google.com/search?q=mysql+vs+mariadb
>
> 😉
>

> He suggested to use a different OS: "Stability with the combination MySQL and MS-Windows have been bad, I
>>> would recommend to use another OS to run it on, for local testing WSL
>>> seems to work quite ok."

Fokke

Re: Can't start the server after installation

<ifuts7F9rkuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17&group=comp.databases.mysql#17

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: comp.databases.mysql
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 10:34:15 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Tue, 11 May 2021 08:34 UTC

On 11/05/2021 09.13, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> On 10/05/2021 21:03, Luuk wrote:
>> On 10-5-2021 16:24, Fokke Nauta wrote:

>> But MariaDB is not an OS,
>> Just as MySQL is not an OS.
>>
>> Ubuntu, or Debian, that are OS.

> He suggested to use a different OS: "Stability with the combination

I had two suggestions, one was using MariaDB and and another one to
switch OS.

Myself at work I use WSL as we have a closed source OS on our
development machines, this gives the simplicity of installing programs
with a package manager (no need to go to shady websites and download
binaries) and of course configuration a lot more like in production
environment.

I do recommend you to learn Linux, as that will be more and more
required knowledge. A good starting point can be microsofts WSL
introduction:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/get-started-with-windows-subsystem-for-linux/

--

//Aho

Re: Can't start the server after installation

<ig4modFdnjjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18&group=comp.databases.mysql#18

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: comp.databases.mysql
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 15:09:33 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Thu, 13 May 2021 13:09 UTC

On 11/05/2021 10:34, J.O. Aho wrote:

> On 11/05/2021 09.13, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> On 10/05/2021 21:03, Luuk wrote:
>>> On 10-5-2021 16:24, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>
>>> But MariaDB is not an OS,
>>> Just as MySQL is not an OS.
>>>
>>> Ubuntu, or Debian, that are OS.
>
>> He suggested to use a different OS: "Stability with the combination
>
> I had two suggestions, one was using MariaDB and and another one to
> switch OS.
>
> Myself at work I use WSL as we have a closed source OS on our
> development machines, this gives the simplicity of installing programs
> with a package manager (no need to go to shady websites and download
> binaries) and of course configuration a lot more like in production
> environment.
>

> I do recommend you to learn Linux, as that will be more and more
> required knowledge. A good starting point can be microsofts WSL
> introduction:
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/get-started-with-windows-subsystem-for-linux/

I have used the MariaDB, which was installed when I installed XAMPP. It
worked fine. But due to XAMPP is was difficult to manage, so I removed
it and installed MySQL community server separately. Server only, no
developement.
Then my problem started and I was happy to fix it. Since then it runs fine.

I know quite a lot about Linux. Followed a course of Unix long time ago.
I have VMWare installed and have a lot of Linuxes as virtual machines.
On an old laptop I replaced Windows by Zorin OS. This works fine.
But with Linux there are still some difficulties. Sometimes I run into
problems with managing the rights, or with an application that won't work.
My knowledge of Linux is nog good enough to run it on our server.
I can handle Windows very well, and that's the reason I chose for
Windows on our server.

Fokke