"A car is just a big purse on wheels." -- Johanna Reynolds

devel / comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects / IndexBar:Advance yelds "Window is not responding"

SubjectAuthor
* IndexBar:Advance yelds "Window is not responding"Grzegorz R.
`* Re: IndexBar:Advance yelds "Window is not responding"Jamal
 `* Re: IndexBar:Advance yelds "Window is not responding"Grzegorz R.
  +- Re: IndexBar:Advance yelds "Window is not responding"Massimo Bighelli
  `- Re: IndexBar:Advance yelds "Window is not responding"Jamal

1
IndexBar:Advance yelds "Window is not responding"

<0090519b-bd4b-4681-95c9-e85869b34d82n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1141&group=comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects#1141

Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 02:56:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: IndexBar:Advance yelds "Window is not responding"
From: ramotny64@gmail.com (Grzegorz R.)
 by: Grzegorz R. - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 09:56 UTC

Hi Friends
MS has changed something in system because what in XP and earlier W10 worked fine - now does not work.
I have a progress window with progress bar(s) that should advance according to process run (like searching for the data).
It always worked fin but since spring this year it doe NOT work any more ie very often (nearly always) i get message "window not respoding" and progressbar stops although process runs and finishes.
I tried to use quasitimer (save and compare seconds()) to "advance" only once per second (even if more "ticks"/advances happened) but it didn't help.
How can I keep my progressbar working without freezing the window?
I can show my code but there is nothing much.

Any help highly aprreciated

Gregory

Re: IndexBar:Advance yelds "Window is not responding"

<tf81ua$lqi$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1142&group=comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects#1142

From: nospam@example.com (Jamal)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 14:01:45 -0400
 by: Jamal - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 18:01 UTC

Hi Gregory!

As a programmer (you and others), to get help from fellow programmers, I
suggest that you always provide more information. Do not assume we know
your exact development/runtime environment.

1. Complete VO Version.
2. Windows Version.
3. Post reproducible code.

Jamal

On 9/6/2022 5:56 AM, Grzegorz R. wrote:
> Hi Friends
> MS has changed something in system because what in XP and earlier W10 worked fine - now does not work.
> I have a progress window with progress bar(s) that should advance according to process run (like searching for the data).
> It always worked fin but since spring this year it doe NOT work any more ie very often (nearly always) i get message "window not respoding" and progressbar stops although process runs and finishes.
> I tried to use quasitimer (save and compare seconds()) to "advance" only once per second (even if more "ticks"/advances happened) but it didn't help.
> How can I keep my progressbar working without freezing the window?
> I can show my code but there is nothing much.
>
> Any help highly aprreciated
>
> Gregory

Re: IndexBar:Advance yelds "Window is not responding"

<bf3d4f78-8f7e-4022-8c0b-05ccebac9f5cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1143&group=comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects#1143

Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 23:49:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: ramotny64@gmail.com (Grzegorz R.)
 by: Grzegorz R. - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 06:49 UTC

wtorek, 6 września 2022 o 20:02:04 UTC+2 Jamal napisał(a):
> Hi Gregory!
>
> As a programmer (you and others), to get help from fellow programmers, I
> suggest that you always provide more information. Do not assume we know
> your exact development/runtime environment.
>
> 1. Complete VO Version.
> 2. Windows Version.
> 3. Post reproducible code.
>
> Jamal
> On 9/6/2022 5:56 AM, Grzegorz R. wrote:
> > Hi Friends
> > MS has changed something in system because what in XP and earlier W10 worked fine - now does not work.
> > I have a progress window with progress bar(s) that should advance according to process run (like searching for the data).
> > It always worked fin but since spring this year it doe NOT work any more ie very often (nearly always) i get message "window not respoding" and progressbar stops although process runs and finishes.
> > I tried to use quasitimer (save and compare seconds()) to "advance" only once per second (even if more "ticks"/advances happened) but it didn't help.
> > How can I keep my progressbar working without freezing the window?
> > I can show my code but there is nothing much.
> >
> > Any help highly aprreciated
> >
> > Gregory
Hello Jamal
I'm sorry...
VO2.8SP4b + Win10 21H2 19044.1889

Code is simple:
OknoPostepu (ProgressWin) inherited from DialogWindow created from toolbar
that has
IndexBar as ProgressBar

code from VO

RESOURCE OknoPostepu DIALOGEX 5, 19, 260, 45
STYLE DS_3DLOOK|WS_POPUP|WS_CAPTION|WS_SYSMENU
FONT 8, "MS Shell Dlg"
BEGIN
CONTROL "Indeksowanie", OKNOPOSTEPU_INDEXBAR, "msctls_progress32", WS_CHILD, 8, 7, 244, 11
END

CLASS OknoPostepu INHERIT DIALOGWINDOW
PROTECT oDCIndexBar AS PROGRESSBAR
//{{%UC%}} USER CODE STARTS HERE (do NOT remove this line)

METHOD Advance() CLASS OknoPostepu
SELF:oDCIndexBar:Advance(1)
RETURN NIL

METHOD EndWin() CLASS OknoPostepu
SELF:EndDialog()
RETURN NIL

METHOD Init(oParent,uExtra) CLASS OknoPostepu
SELF:PreInit(oParent,uExtra)
SUPER:Init(oParent,ResourceID{"OknoPostepu",_GetInst()},FALSE)
oDCIndexBar := ProgressBar{SELF,ResourceID{OKNOPOSTEPU_INDEXBAR,_GetInst()}}
oDCIndexBar:HyperLabel := HyperLabel{#IndexBar,"Indeksowanie",NULL_STRING,NULL_STRING}
oDCIndexBar:Range := Range{0,23}
SELF:Caption := ""
SELF:HyperLabel :=HyperLabel{#OknoPostepu,NULL_STRING,NULL_STRING,NULL_STRING}
SELF:PostInit(oParent,uExtra)
RETURN SELF

STATIC DEFINE OKNOPOSTEPU_INDEXBAR := 100

and in main program loop

FOR Rec := 1 to 10
//do something
OknoPostepu:Advance()
NEXT

Just like that - nothing very special.
Regards
Gregory

Re: IndexBar:Advance yelds "Window is not responding"

<tfabch$1cnn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1144&group=comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects#1144

From: info@arcasistemi.it (Massimo Bighelli)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 16:55:16 +0200
 by: Massimo Bighelli - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 14:55 UTC

try add ProcessEvent after your Advance
(I do not recall the exact sintax because I do not use VO since 2012)

Massimo

Il 07/09/2022 08:49, Grzegorz R. ha scritto:
> [...]
> //{{%UC%}} USER CODE STARTS HERE (do NOT remove this line)
>
> METHOD Advance() CLASS OknoPostepu
> SELF:oDCIndexBar:Advance(1)
> RETURN NIL
>
> METHOD EndWin() CLASS OknoPostepu
> SELF:EndDialog()
> RETURN NIL
>
> METHOD Init(oParent,uExtra) CLASS OknoPostepu
> SELF:PreInit(oParent,uExtra)
> SUPER:Init(oParent,ResourceID{"OknoPostepu",_GetInst()},FALSE)
> oDCIndexBar := ProgressBar{SELF,ResourceID{OKNOPOSTEPU_INDEXBAR,_GetInst()}}
> oDCIndexBar:HyperLabel := HyperLabel{#IndexBar,"Indeksowanie",NULL_STRING,NULL_STRING}
> oDCIndexBar:Range := Range{0,23}
> SELF:Caption := ""
> SELF:HyperLabel :=HyperLabel{#OknoPostepu,NULL_STRING,NULL_STRING,NULL_STRING}
> SELF:PostInit(oParent,uExtra)
> RETURN SELF
>
> STATIC DEFINE OKNOPOSTEPU_INDEXBAR := 100

*Massimo Bighelli* ARCA Sistemi S.r.l.

Re: IndexBar:Advance yelds "Window is not responding"

<tfabn8$1hv0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1145&group=comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects#1145

From: nospam@example.com (Jamal)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 11:00:56 -0400
 by: Jamal - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 15:00 UTC

Add ApplicationExec( EXECWHILEEVENT ) in your loop.

There is a problem with VO 2.8 and progressbar Range with large values.
Might as well add the following to your app:

ASSIGN Range32( oRange32 ) CLASS ProgressBar
LOCAL liMin as dword
LOCAL liMax AS LONG
liMin := oRange32:Min
liMax := long(oRange32:Max)
SendMessage(SELF:Handle(), PBM_SETRANGE32,liMin,liMax )
RETURN SELF:oRange := oRange32

ACCESS Range32() CLASS ProgressBar
RETURN oRange

Then set oDCIndexBar:Range32 := Range{0,23} in the PostInit(..) method
or Button click method.

Jamal