Like punning, programming is a play on words.

devel / comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects / Re: cPOP and MessageID can you push and email back to mailserver

SubjectAuthor
* cPOP and MessageID can you push and email back to mailserverPhil McGuinness
`* Re: cPOP and MessageID can you push and email back to mailserverWolfgang Riedmann
 `* Re: cPOP and MessageID can you push and email back to mailserverPhil McGuinness
  `- Re: cPOP and MessageID can you push and email back to mailserverWolfgang Riedmann

1
cPOP and MessageID can you push and email back to mailserver

<551feb4f-fce7-4d64-91a4-9d0b3bc22db7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1063&group=comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects#1063

Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 14:44:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: cPOP and MessageID can you push and email back to mailserver
From: sherlocksoftware@gmail.com (Phil McGuinness)
 by: Phil McGuinness - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 22:44 UTC

Is it possible with cPOP to not only retrieve and email bu to modify and push back to email stack using message ID.

Also if an attachment to email, say a PDF... can see how to save.
Say I modified, stamp paid maybe and push back to email on mail server

oPop:email:messageId

How ?
Has anybody done this.

Phil

Re: cPOP and MessageID can you push and email back to mailserver

<j8e6tuF2vv8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1064&group=comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects#1064

From: wriedmann@gmail.com (Wolfgang Riedmann)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 11:11:10 +0100
 by: Wolfgang Riedmann - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 10:11 UTC

Hi Phil,

the POP3 protocoll cannot do this, but you can use the IMAP protocol.

But AFAIK the IMAP protocoll is not very well standardized, and so
every implementation is a bit different.

Wolfgang

--

Re: cPOP and MessageID can you push and email back to mailserver

<9a79e495-6f68-4f14-aeee-50a75482c577n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1069&group=comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects#1069

Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 18:41:31 -0800 (PST)
From: sherlocksoftware@gmail.com (Phil McGuinness)
 by: Phil McGuinness - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 02:41 UTC

Wolfgang,
said, "the POP3 protocoll cannot do this, but you cansaid; use the IMAP protocol. Port 143 for iMAP... a lot of times this blocked.

I have proof of concept using POP and cSMTP where I can pull the email, deconstruct it.
Then push a new email with cSMTP and delete the original using POP.

The reason I ask is a client we sent a invoice as PDF for $7900. We chased them for days and normal response paid.
At day 7.. two sides talking and client releasised receieved 1st invoice and 2 hours later another looked same, different BSB/ACCNT
They paid money to the "fake email and invoice"

They did not want to pay, as they think they have paid and believe our mail server or we had been hacked.
At the point did not have their 2nd email to look at headers and trying to work out if we have been compromised.
Classic many in middle attack.

It is not hard with U/PW to a mail server to monitor the traffic and I have proven easy to trick a receiver with subsequent email.
We have login to to get this but a lot want a copy of invoice emailed, with say PDF

Considering a verification concept with Button is the PDF to click to very that it is genuine.
Say HASH the contents, store hash and verify against. A hacker could still change attachment contecnt but would not verify.,

Any thoughts on this concept or alternative ideas.

Phil

Re: cPOP and MessageID can you push and email back to mailserver

<j8r1spFh05fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1074&group=comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects#1074

From: wriedmann@gmail.com (Wolfgang Riedmann)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 08:04:54 +0100
 by: Wolfgang Riedmann - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 07:04 UTC

Hi Phil,

of course you can do that with the combination of POP3 and SMTP.

I have seen similar things with compromised invoices... and changed
email headers.
But after researching the recipient had a hacked machine....

Wolfgang