Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 13:56:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: System Folder
From: bobcalco@gmail.com (Robert Calco)
 by: Robert Calco - Tue, 11 May 2021 20:56 UTC

I'd like to make changes to the startup folder to customize/brand a product I'm designing that is based on the full Dolphin professional image, but adds a lot of domain-specific features based on edition.

I could use some pointers about how to go about this that allows me to:
- move dev tools to a dev subfolder
- create new subfolders in my new root
- add applications and tools to my new toplevel root directory

Really I'm asking for an explanation of how the design around the system folder concept works so that I can highly customize it for my needs. I know it's discoverable with enough time to plumb the depths of the image itself, but any suggestions or pointers that save me time will be deeply appreciated.

Also important: I'd like to know how best to capture these structural changes as steps I can repeat as new releases of Dolphin itself come out. So, more information about how package installation can be customized is also something I'd love to hear from Dolphin long-timers that may be out there.

Thanks in advance!

Bob