"The sixties were good to you, weren't they?" -- George Carlin

devel / comp.lang.c++ / apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups

SubjectAuthor
* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowLynn McGuire
+* Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only George Neuner
|+- Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only The Doctor
|+* Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only John Levine
||`* Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only George Neuner
|| `- Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only John Levine
|`- Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowJames Kuyper
+* Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only Joe Pfeiffer
|+* Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only John Levine
||`* Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only Joe Pfeiffer
|| +* Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran areMichael S
|| |`* Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only Joe Pfeiffer
|| | +* Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran areRetro Guy
|| | `* Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowStephen Fuld
|| |  `* Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowJack
|| |   `- Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowBGB
|| `- Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowJames Kuyper
|`* Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowred floyd
| +- Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowDavid Brown
| +- Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowwolfgang kern
| `- Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowJames Kuyper
+- Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran areBranimir Maksimovic
`- Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran areQuadibloc

Pages:12
Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups

<ui4rc4$393hk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2399&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B#2399

From: cr88192@gmail.com (BGB)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Subject: Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now
read only at google groups
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 02:18:17 -0500
 by: BGB - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 07:18 UTC

On 11/1/2023 5:55 PM, Jack wrote:
> On 01/11/2023 21:31, Stephen Fuld wrote:
>>
>> There has been some confusion in this thread recently.  Anyone with an
>> account can read and post messages using Eternal September.  The "read
>> only" is apparently just Google Groups. That is, anyone can read any
>> article through Google Groups, but no one can post new articles nor
>> replies to the group using Google Groups.
>>

> There is another server called "paganini.bofh.team". You don't need an
> account but spam is not allowed. People abusing the server will have
> their IP address blocked.

IP blocking is a bit questionable though in this era of ISP grade NAT
and similar (say, the IP address they see on their cable modem is
10.x.x.x; with some other IP address visible to the outside world), and
with a dynamic external IP address.

So, if one person is posting spam with a given ISP, then blocking fails
to block the spammer (as their external IP keeps changing), but will
ultimately end up blocking random other people who happen to have their
traffic routed through an IP address which was previously used for
spamming (well, at least until their ISP causes their connections to
jump over to some other IP address that hasn't been blocked yet).

It seems like a strategy that mostly (only) really makes sense in a
context where one assumes that each node has a statically-assigned
global IP address.

devel / comp.lang.c++ / apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups