From: trapper@VERT/TRAPDOOR (Trapper)
To: All
Subject: Web Server
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 12:28:36 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Trapper - Wed, 3 May 2023 16:28 UTC

I checked my website, trapdoor.synchro.net, and found that IIS microsoft came up instead, trying to sell me a web server? Was I hijacked by microsoft? I am not sure what's going on so I came here to see if anyone else has run into this. Any sugestions or advice?

---
■ Synchronet ■ trapper - trapdoor.synchro.net

Web Server

<6452AE29.49882.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=967&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#967

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Trapper
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 11:55:37 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Wed, 3 May 2023 18:55 UTC

Re: Web Server
By: Trapper to All on Wed May 03 2023 12:28 pm

> I checked my website, trapdoor.synchro.net, and found that IIS microsoft
> came up instead, trying to sell me a web server? Was I hijacked by
> microsoft? I am not sure what's going on so I came here to see if anyone
> else has run into this. Any sugestions or advice?

What TCP ports is your Synchronet web server listening on? Do you try both http and https? Does your Synchronet web server report successful binding/initialization when starting-up?
--
digital man (rob)

Rush quote #82:
The clouds prepare for battle in the dark and brooding silence
Norco, CA WX: 59.7°F, 56.0% humidity, 4 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Web Server

<6452D95A.8885.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=968&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#968

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Trapper
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 16:59:54 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: MRO - Wed, 3 May 2023 21:59 UTC

Re: Web Server
By: Trapper to All on Wed May 03 2023 12:28 pm

> I checked my website, trapdoor.synchro.net, and found that IIS microsoft
> came up instead, trying to sell me a web server? Was I hijacked by
> microsoft? I am not sure what's going on so I came here to see if anyone

yeah you were hijacked by microsoft.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Web Server

<64543024.39.dove-syncdisc@trapdoor.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=969&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#969

From: trapper@VERT/TRAPDOOR (Trapper)
To: Digital Man
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 18:22:28 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Trapper - Thu, 4 May 2023 22:22 UTC

Re: Web Server
By: Digital Man to Trapper on Wed May 03 2023 11:55 am

> Re: Web Server
> By: Trapper to All on Wed May 03 2023 12:28 pm
>
> > I checked my website, trapdoor.synchro.net, and found that IIS microsoft
> > came up instead, trying to sell me a web server? Was I hijacked by
> > microsoft? I am not sure what's going on so I came here to see if anyone
> > else has run into this. Any sugestions or advice?
>
> What TCP ports is your Synchronet web server listening on? Do you try
>
> both
> http and https? Does your Synchronet web server report successful
> binding/initialization when starting-up?
I have the TCP port set to 80, but there is a binding error so it sets to 443. The error says that there was an attempt to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. It trys port 80 4 times and then sets to port 443 and then the web server thread starts. Yes i have http and https selected. I also had a bad certificate again, but i know what to do there. Where do i
begin?

---
■ Synchronet ■ trapper - trapdoor.synchro.net

Web Server

<64544B9D.40.dove-syncdisc@trapdoor.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=970&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#970

From: trapper@VERT/TRAPDOOR (Trapper)
To: MRO
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 20:19:41 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Trapper - Fri, 5 May 2023 00:19 UTC

Re: Web Server
By: MRO to Trapper on Wed May 03 2023 04:59 pm

> Re: Web Server
> By: Trapper to All on Wed May 03 2023 12:28 pm
>
> > I checked my website, trapdoor.synchro.net, and found that IIS microsoft
> > came up instead, trying to sell me a web server? Was I hijacked by
> > microsoft? I am not sure what's going on so I came here to see if anyone
>
> yeah you were hijacked by microsoft.
Man, I knew they were out to get me!

---
■ Synchronet ■ trapper - trapdoor.synchro.net

Web Server

<64545EFF.49886.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=971&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#971

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Trapper
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 18:42:23 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Fri, 5 May 2023 01:42 UTC

Re: Web Server
By: Trapper to Digital Man on Thu May 04 2023 06:22 pm

> Re: Web Server
> By: Digital Man to Trapper on Wed May 03 2023 11:55 am
>
> > Re: Web Server
> > By: Trapper to All on Wed May 03 2023 12:28 pm
> >
> > > I checked my website, trapdoor.synchro.net, and found that IIS
> > > microsoft came up instead, trying to sell me a web server? Was I
> > > hijacked by microsoft? I am not sure what's going on so I came here to
> > > see if anyone else has run into this. Any sugestions or advice?
>
> > What TCP ports is your Synchronet web server listening on? Do you try
>
> > both
> > http and https? Does your Synchronet web server report successful
> > binding/initialization when starting-up?
> I have the TCP port set to 80, but there is a binding error so it sets to
> 443. The error says that there was an attempt to access a socket in a way
> forbidden by its access permissions. It trys port 80 4 times and then sets
> to port 443 and then the web server thread starts. Yes i have http and https
> selected. I also had a bad certificate again, but i know what to do there.
> Where do i begin?

443 is for HTTPS (by default). So it's not binding port 443 because port 80 failed, it's just that's the next thing it does after it tries (and eventually gives up) trying to bind your HTTP port.

It appears you have Microsoft IIS install. Uninstall it, disable it, or configure it to use a differnet TCP port than port 80.
--
digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #2:
ARS = Access Requirement Strings
Norco, CA WX: 58.8°F, 64.0% humidity, 0 mph E wind, 0.23 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Web Server

<64554CE8.42.dove-syncdisc@trapdoor.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=972&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#972

From: trapper@VERT/TRAPDOOR (Trapper)
To: Digital Man
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 14:37:28 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Trapper - Fri, 5 May 2023 18:37 UTC

Re: Web Server
By: Digital Man to Trapper on Thu May 04 2023 06:42 pm

> Re: Web Server
> By: Trapper to Digital Man on Thu May 04 2023 06:22 pm
>
> > Re: Web Server
> > By: Digital Man to Trapper on Wed May 03 2023 11:55 am
>
> > > Re: Web Server
> > > By: Trapper to All on Wed May 03 2023 12:28 pm

> > > What TCP ports is your Synchronet web server listening on? Do you try
>
> > > both
> > > http and https? Does your Synchronet web server report successful
> > > binding/initialization when starting-up?
> > I have the TCP port set to 80, but there is a binding error so it sets to
> > 443. The error says that there was an attempt to access a socket in a way
> > forbidden by its access permissions. It trys port 80 4 times and then
> > sets to port 443 and then the web server thread starts. Yes i have http
> > and https selected. I also had a bad certificate again, but i know what
> > to do there. Where do i begin?
>
> 443 is for HTTPS (by default). So it's not binding port 443 because port 80
> failed, it's just that's the next thing it does after it tries (and
> eventually gives up) trying to bind your HTTP port.
>
> It appears you have Microsoft IIS install. Uninstall it, disable it, or
> configure it to use a differnet TCP port than port 80.

I found IIS windows on my PC, something i had never seen before. I set the port to 60000. I hope that dosent interfere with something else, but if it does at least i will know whats going on. My Synchronet web server is now listening on port 80 and started normally. Thank you for the guidance.

---
■ Synchronet ■ trapper - trapdoor.synchro.net

Web Server

<6456A36A.45344.dove-syncdisc@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=978&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#978

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: Trapper
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 18:58:50 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Tracker1 - Sat, 6 May 2023 18:58 UTC

Re: Web Server
By: Trapper to Digital Man on Thu May 04 2023 18:22:28

Tr> I have the TCP port set to 80, but there is a binding error so it sets to
Tr> 443. The error says that there was an attempt to access a socket in a way
Tr> forbidden by its access permissions. It trys port 80 4 times and then sets
Tr> to port 443 and then the web server thread starts. Yes i have http and
Tr> https selected. I also had a bad certificate again, but i know what to do
Tr> there. Where do i begin?

Go into add/remove programs, then choose add/remove windows features and uncheck IIS, reboot and it should be gone. I don't recall if those are the exact names in question, but that should give you the gist of this.

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com