7 May, 2024: fms is rebuilding. Don't expect much in that section for quite a few days, maybe longer.

dovenet / Entertainment / Re: Video rental store to shut its doors after 40 years in business

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Video rental store to shut its doors after 40 years in businessfusion
+* Re: Video rental store to shut its doors after 40 years in businessMRO
|`* Re: Video rental store to shut its doors after 40 years in businessNightfox
| `- Re: Video rental store to shut its doors after 40 years in businessMRO
`- Re: Video rental store to shut its doors after 40 years in businessArelor

1
Re: Video rental store to shut its doors after 40 years in business

<660B6557.50650.dove-ent@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=962&group=DOVE-Net.Entertainment#962

From: fusion@VERT/CFBBS (fusion)
To: Arelor
Subject: Re: Video rental store to shut its doors after 40 years in business
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 21:54:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Entertainment
 by: fusion - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 21:54 UTC

On 01 Apr 2024, Arelor said the following...
Ar> I am so glad I can keep watching old movies forever.

someday your TV will include AI to automatically correct the "wrong think" in old movies too! they do already run software on many of those TVs to "watch" what you watch and report it somewhere.

seriously though.. i think they just hate money. we're at a point where you could ask a kid about modern movies and they'd say "they keep remaking old stuff." worse yet they don't have any sort of nostalgia connection to it, so the whole thing is wasted on them anyways. they basically made direct-to-video style movies their main attraction.

remakes can work but they want to geneder/race swap everyone and turn old characters into buffoons. there goes the nostalgia part. indiana jones is a loser now. imagine taking a franchise that was so incredibly strong a flaming piece of trash like the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull makes you $790 million on a 185mil budget (so ~605 mil "profit").. and turning it into a $384mil movie
that made $89mil profit.

i duno. plenty people still make cool stuff here and there.. just not huge awesome cool stuff.. heh

* Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi

Re: Video rental store to shut its doors after 40 years in business

<660B7A71.3196.dove-ent@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=964&group=DOVE-Net.Entertainment#964

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: fusion
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 22:24:33 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Entertainment
 by: MRO - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 03:24 UTC

Re: Re: Video rental store to shut its doors after 40 years in business
By: fusion to Arelor on Mon Apr 01 2024 09:54 pm

> million on a 185mil budget (so ~605 mil "profit").. and turning it into a
> $384mil movie that made $89mil profit.

mission impossible 7 lost a bit of money too i think. it was just a bad movie.

> i duno. plenty people still make cool stuff here and there.. just not huge
> awesome cool stuff.. heh

we are getting to the point where people are sick of superhero movies.
they are going to have to find another fad to burn through.

---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: Video rental store to shut its doors after 40 years in business

<660BF78C.17911.dove-ent@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=966&group=DOVE-Net.Entertainment#966

From: arelor@VERT/PALANTIR (Arelor)
To: fusion
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 07:18:20 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Entertainment
 by: Arelor - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 12:18 UTC

Re: Re: Video rental store to shut its doors after 40 years in business
By: fusion to Arelor on Mon Apr 01 2024 09:54 pm

> someday your TV will include AI to automatically correct the "wrong think"
> in old movies too! they do already run software on many of those TVs to
> "watch" what you watch and report it somewhere.

I take good care of my multimedia equipment so I will keep using the same TV for decades. I have an start TV but it has no Internet connectivity. My tendency is to place stupid smartisms that need network access in a separate VLAN anyway.

> seriously though.. i think they just hate money. we're at a point where you
> could ask a kid about modern movies and they'd say "they keep remaking old
> stuff." worse yet they don't have any sort of nostalgia connection to it, so
> the whole thing is wasted on them anyways. they basically made

Sure they like money. The problem is that making a movie is so expensive that taking risks is dangerous. It is like big videogame studios. If a game flops they get dangerously close to bankrupcy. Therefore, they tend to play it safe. Movies are the same, except I think moves that used to be safe are failing.

The fact there ios media overload does not help. Back in the day you had a dozen movies on your shelf and went to the cinema three times a year, so you valued the few films you got to experience. Now you fire up a streaming service and you have 900000 movies at your disposal, all of them looking very samey, and you just don't care as you used to. Then a gain, much like videogames.

> i duno. plenty people still make cool stuff here and there.. just not huge
> awesome cool stuff.. heh

There is a whole lot of cool stuff but nowadays you find most of it out of Hollywood. There are independent Americans, but also Asians experimenting with new stuff. A lot of it sucks but sinde they are taking risks they actually produce nice things every now and then.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Video rental store to shut its doors after 40 years in business

<660C36E8.38192.dove_entertai@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=973&group=DOVE-Net.Entertainment#973

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: MRO
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 09:48:40 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Entertainment
 by: Nightfox - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:48 UTC

Re: Re: Video rental store to shut its doors after 40 years in business
By: MRO to fusion on Mon Apr 01 2024 10:24 pm

MR> we are getting to the point where people are sick of superhero movies.
MR> they are going to have to find another fad to burn through.

I've been tired of superhero movies for years. There are only a few I really like.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: Video rental store to shut its doors after 40 years in business

<660C7C9F.3206.dove-ent@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=979&group=DOVE-Net.Entertainment#979

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Nightfox
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:46:07 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Entertainment
 by: MRO - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 21:46 UTC

Re: Re: Video rental store to shut its doors after 40 years in business
By: Nightfox to MRO on Tue Apr 02 2024 09:48 am

> Re: Re: Video rental store to shut its doors after 40 years in business
> By: MRO to fusion on Mon Apr 01 2024 10:24 pm
>
> MR> we are getting to the point where people are sick of superhero movies.
> MR> they are going to have to find another fad to burn through.
>
> I've been tired of superhero movies for years. There are only a few I
> really like.

i'm pretty sure the last decent superhero movie i saw was black panther 1.

there are some real good DC animated movies. they just can't make good live action movies.

---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::