From: anthk@VERT (anthk)
To: All
Subject: Re: Which VPN?
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 08:59:37 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: anthk - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 15:59 UTC

On 2023-07-03, Nightfox <DIGDIST!Nightfox@vert.synchro.net> wrote:

> Re: Which VPN?
> By: Phigan to Hustler on Mon Jul 03 2023 08:44 am
>
> Ph> - Using torrents or similar file-sharing type services on a network that
> Ph> blocks them (public hotspots sometimes) or simply from a network other
>
> Ph> When you use those VPN services, they know what your originating IP is,
> Ph> what your destination IP is, and what kind of traffic you're sending to
> Ph> that destination. It's the same stuff that your ISP would know if you
> Ph> weren't using the VPN. I'm not sure what difference it makes which one of
> Ph> them has that information. You're already paying your ISP, so unless you
> Ph> have some reason not to trust them, why would you go trust some other
> Ph> rando any more than them?
>
> If you do any torrenting, some ISPs actively monitor torrent activity, whereas a VPN might (probably?) not. ISPs can send an email warning if they detect something they think shouldn't be downloaded/shared via torrent. You probably shouldn't trust your ISP with that information..
>
> Nightfox
>
> ---
> � Synchronet � Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
The only stuff I pirated it's some old episodes from Northern Exposure
and The Twilight Zone collection from the 50's. The last one should have
been under public domain long ago. 70 years of Copyright it's abusive.

---
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: Which VPN?

<64AABF06.1894.dove-hwswhelp@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=923&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#923

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: anthk
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 14:07:02 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Tracker1 - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 14:07 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: anthk to All on Thu Jul 06 2023 08:59:37

an> The only stuff I pirated it's some old episodes from Northern Exposure
an> and The Twilight Zone collection from the 50's. The last one should have
an> been under public domain long ago. 70 years of Copyright it's abusive.

I recently rewatched Blacksheep Squadron and The Six Million Dollar Man. I don't think either one could be made today. I do think they could do a reboot of Six Million Dollar Man (as "Bionic" or "Cyborg"), but Blacksheep just would be hard in today's sensibilities. Agreed on the excesses of Intelectual Property overall, not just Copyright.

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com