From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: fusion
Subject: Re: Which VPN?
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 14:18:29 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Tracker1 - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 14:18 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: fusion to Nightfox on Thu Jul 06 2023 21:11:00

fu> yeah.. it's fairly easy to see when a connection is coming from a
fu> datacenter. i'm 13 hops from google at home and 6 from my VPS for
fu> example.. and being netflix they would probably just know who owns each of
fu> the routers.. so they don't even necessarily need an ip list.

Reverse DNS is also generally pretty informative as well.

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com

Re: Which VPN?

<64A76668.17856.dove-hlp@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=904&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#904

From: fusion@VERT/CFBBS (fusion)
To: Nightfox
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 21:11:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: fusion - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 21:11 UTC

On 06 Jul 2023, Nightfox said the following...
Ni> It's not just an ISP, but I've heard streaming services such as Netflix
Ni> are starting to do this to prevent customers from using a VPN to access
Ni> content that's normally not available in their country.

yeah.. it's fairly easy to see when a connection is coming from a datacenter. i'm 13 hops from google at home and 6 from my VPS for example.. and being netflix they would probably just know who owns each of the routers.. so they don't even necessarily need an ip list.

* Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi