Don't I know you?

dovenet / Hardware Software Help / Re: Which VPN?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Which VPN?paulie420
+* Re: Which VPN?Phigan
|+* Re: Which VPN?Tracker1
||`* Re: Which VPN?MRO
|| `* Re: Which VPN?Tracker1
||  `- Re: Which VPN?MRO
|+* Re: Which VPN?Arelor
||`- Re: Which VPN?Phigan
|`* Re: Which VPN?Moondog
| +* Re: Which VPN?Tracker1
| |`- Re: Which VPN?MRO
| `- Re: Which VPN?Arelor
`* Re: Which VPN?Nightfox
 `- Re: Which VPN?Digital Man

1
Re: Which VPN?

<64AAC000.1895.dove-hwswhelp@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#1

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: Phigan
Subject: Re: Which VPN?
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 14:11:12 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Tracker1 - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 14:11 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: Phigan to paulie420 on Thu Jul 06 2023 12:40:02

>> I get a letter on xfinity anytime I torrent w/o a VPN. Standard issue.

Ph> What's the gist of it? Is it just from them or do they say they were
Ph> notified by so and so? Can you test torrenting an Ubuntu ISO or something?
Ph> :)

The IP protection companies hired to track torrents will generally track magnet links and the torrent hosts themselves for feeds concerning things named with their IP. So they won't be tracking an Ubuntu ISO, unless that ubuntu iso is via a link named "Captain.Marvel.2019..." or similar.

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com

Re: Which VPN?

<64AAC318.1901.dove-hwswhelp@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=7&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#7

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: Moondog
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 14:24:24 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Tracker1 - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 14:24 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: Moondog to Phigan on Fri Jul 07 2023 11:14:00

Mo> There's legitimate purposes for torrent clients. The ISP can see what
Mo> you're downloading and determine if it's a linux distro or a movie

Given how torrents/seeding works, doing such a thing at the ISP level takes a huge effort that they wouldn't really do. What the protecting agencies do is track torrent links named/related to their (long) lists of properties/brands, and from there connect to magnet and trackers to then tell who is seeding those torrents. That's how they get you.

Private trackers provide some protection, but the people working for this groups will also infiltrate private tracker networks.

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com

Re: Which VPN?

<64AB2938.1359.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=10&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#10

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Tracker1
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 16:40:08 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 21:40 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: Tracker1 to Phigan on Sun Jul 09 2023 02:11 pm

> The IP protection companies hired to track torrents will generally track
> magnet links and the torrent hosts themselves for feeds concerning things
> named with their IP. So they won't be tracking an Ubuntu ISO, unless that
> ubuntu iso is via a link named "Captain.Marvel.2019..." or similar.

dude, i got a letter for downloading a torrent of the wow client.
and i'm like they give that shit away for free. i just wanted to get it faster without going through all the updates.

they didnt care.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: Which VPN?

<64AB298F.1360.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=11&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#11

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Tracker1
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 16:41:35 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 21:41 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: Tracker1 to Moondog on Sun Jul 09 2023 02:24 pm

> Private trackers provide some protection, but the people working for this
> groups will also infiltrate private tracker networks.

that's possible but i've never seen that happen in the 20+ years i've been on public torrent sites.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: Which VPN?

<64AEC2C0.1920.dove-hwswhelp@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=25&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#25

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: MRO
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 15:12:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Tracker1 - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 15:12 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: MRO to Tracker1 on Sun Jul 09 2023 16:40:08

MR> Re: Re: Which VPN?
MR> By: Tracker1 to Phigan on Sun Jul 09 2023 02:11 pm
>> The IP protection companies hired to track torrents will generally
>> track magnet links and the torrent hosts themselves for feeds
>> concerning things named with their IP. So they won't be tracking an
>> Ubuntu ISO, unless that ubuntu iso is via a link named
>> "Captain.Marvel.2019..." or similar.

MR> dude, i got a letter for downloading a torrent of the wow client.
MR> and i'm like they give that shit away for free. i just wanted to get it
MR> faster without going through all the updates.

That's because Activision/Blizzard sucks...

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com

Re: Which VPN?

<64AEDB87.1365.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=29&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#29

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Tracker1
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:57:43 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 16:57 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: Tracker1 to MRO on Wed Jul 12 2023 03:12 pm

> MR> dude, i got a letter for downloading a torrent of the wow client.
> MR> and i'm like they give that shit away for free. i just wanted to get it
> MR> faster without going through all the updates.
>
> That's because Activision/Blizzard sucks...

it's because they hire these bottomfeeder companies who get paid pennies to hop on torrents and report them to isps.

i rarely torrent at home. it's just better to use a seedbox.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: Which VPN?

<64B037AA.2142.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=39&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#39

From: arelor@VERT/PALANTIR (Arelor)
To: Phigan
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 12:43:06 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Arelor - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 17:43 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: Phigan to paulie420 on Thu Jul 06 2023 12:40 pm

> Re: Re: Which VPN?
> By: paulie420 to Phigan on Wed Jul 05 2023 08:55 pm
>
> > I get a letter on xfinity anytime I torrent w/o a VPN. Standard issue.
>
> What's the gist of it? Is it just from them or do they say they were notifie >
> ---
> ■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io
What I have heard is copyright holders hire agents to pester torrent swarms andcover for movies which they deem worth protecting (which I guess are the recentones). These agents locate torrent swarms for those movies, join as a regular
downloader, notice which peers are members of the swarm and then register whichones can be threatened.

Not much of an issue in Spain. Spanish movie industry does not have much worth
pirating and I don t think we are gonna do the work required to protect
foreigner movies.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Which VPN?

<64B038D0.2143.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=40&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#40

From: arelor@VERT/PALANTIR (Arelor)
To: Moondog
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 12:48:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Arelor - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 17:48 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: Moondog to Phigan on Fri Jul 07 2023 11:14 am

> There's legitimate purposes for torrent clients. The ISP can see what you'r > downloading and determine if it's a linux distro or a movie

Lots of torrent users nowadays use encrypted leases. What you are downloading
isn t exactly a secret but I doubt it is easy for an isolated ISP to learn whatyou are downloading.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Which VPN?

<64B174DC.422.dove-hwswhelp@tacopronto.bbs.io>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=57&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#57

From: phigan@VERT/TACOPRON (Phigan)
To: Arelor
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 09:16:28 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Phigan - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 16:16 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: Arelor to Phigan on Thu Jul 13 2023 12:43 pm

> What I have heard is copyright holders hire agents to pester torrent swarms
> andcover for movies which they deem worth protecting (which I guess are the
> recentones). These agents locate torrent swarms for those movies, join as a
> regular
> downloader, notice which peers are members of the swarm and then register
> whichones can be threatened.

That is exactly what happens here (in the US and A) except I'm pretty sure they
don't discriminate with "worth protecting" and "which ones can be threatened".
It's probably an automated process. ANY material copyrighted by said employer
seen being distributed (uploaded, which happens when you torrent) gets a DMCA
take-down request sent to the identified distributor (the ISP that owns the IP
address seen uploading).

---
■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io

Re: Which VPN?

<64A6447B.17844.dove-hlp@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=892&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#892

From: paulie420@VERT/BEERS20 (paulie420)
To: Phigan
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 20:55:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: paulie420 - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 20:55 UTC

Ph> People have said this, but I haven't witnessed it or heard it from
Ph> anyone who has themselves. Why would ISPs want to turn you in? They want
Ph> your money. It's usually when they get a letter from a law firm that
Ph> they either give the lawyers your information or they in turn send you a
Ph> letter about it. Cox does the latter, luckily, without giving your
Ph> information to the lawyers. There are plenty of ISPs that do both, or
Ph> only the former even. But it's usually not the ISP watching out for
Ph> whether you're pirating.

I get a letter on xfinity anytime I torrent w/o a VPN. Standard issue.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
|08.........

Re: Which VPN?

<64A71892.349.dove-hwswhelp@tacopronto.bbs.io>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=898&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#898

From: phigan@VERT/TACOPRON (Phigan)
To: paulie420
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 12:40:02 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Phigan - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 19:40 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: paulie420 to Phigan on Wed Jul 05 2023 08:55 pm

> I get a letter on xfinity anytime I torrent w/o a VPN. Standard issue.

What's the gist of it? Is it just from them or do they say they were notified by so and so? Can you test torrenting an Ubuntu ISO or something? :)

---
■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io

Re: Which VPN?

<64A841B8.7156.dove_dove-hlp@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=907&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#907

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: paulie420
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 09:47:52 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Nightfox - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 16:47 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: paulie420 to Phigan on Wed Jul 05 2023 08:55 pm

pa> I get a letter on xfinity anytime I torrent w/o a VPN. Standard issue.

A letter, as in a written/printed letter sent via snail mail?

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: Which VPN?

<64A82BC7.11476.dove-hlp@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=910&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#910

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: Phigan
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 11:14:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Moondog - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 15:14 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: Phigan to paulie420 on Thu Jul 06 2023 12:40 pm

> Re: Re: Which VPN?
> By: paulie420 to Phigan on Wed Jul 05 2023 08:55 pm
>
> > I get a letter on xfinity anytime I torrent w/o a VPN. Standard issue.
>
> What's the gist of it? Is it just from them or do they say they were notifie

There's legitimate purposes for torrent clients. The ISP can see what you're
downloading and determine if it's a linux distro or a movie

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Re: Which VPN?

<64A86602.17864.dove-hlp@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=912&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#912

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Nightfox
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 12:22:42 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Digital Man - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 19:22 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: Nightfox to paulie420 on Fri Jul 07 2023 09:47 am

> Re: Re: Which VPN?
> By: paulie420 to Phigan on Wed Jul 05 2023 08:55 pm
>
> pa> I get a letter on xfinity anytime I torrent w/o a VPN. Standard issue.
>
> A letter, as in a written/printed letter sent via snail mail?

I'm pretty sure I've received both (snail mail and email) at one time or another (love letters from ISPs regarding torrenting).
--
digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #43:
IHA = Ille Homine Albe (Steve Deppe)
Norco, CA WX: 74.3°F, 55.0% humidity, 8 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net