"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest." -- Alexandre Dumas (fils)

dovenet / Hardware Software Help / Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/Con

SubjectAuthor
* Ink Tank Printers, Pro/ConShanen
+* Ink Tank Printers, Pro/ConMRO
|+* Ink Tank Printers, Pro/CoNopants
||+* Ink Tank Printers, Pro/CoMRO
|||+- Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/CoGamgee
|||`- Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/Copoindexter FORTRAN
||+* Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/CoGamgee
|||+- Re: Ink Tank Printers, PrMoondog
|||`* Re: Ink Tank Printers, PrNopants
||| `* Re: Ink Tank Printers, PrTracker1
|||  +* Re: Ink Tank Printers, PrArelor
|||  |`- Re: Ink Tank Printers, PrTracker1
|||  `- Re: Ink Tank Printers, PrNopants
||+* Ink Tank Printers, Pro/CoNightfox
|||`- Ink Tank Printers, Pro/CoMoondog
||`- Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/Copoindexter FORTRAN
|`- Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/Conpoindexter FORTRAN
+* Ink Tank Printers, Pro/ConArelor
|`* Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/Conpoindexter FORTRAN
| `- Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/ConTracker1
+* Ink Tank Printers, Pro/ConNightfox
|`- Ink Tank Printers, Pro/ConTracker1
+* Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/Conpoindexter FORTRAN
|`- Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/ConShanen
`* Ink Tank Printers, Pro/ConTracker1
 `* Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/ConShanen
  +- Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/ConArelor
  `- Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/ConTracker1

Pages:12
Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/Con

<648DB7C9.17804.dove-hlp@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=853&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#853

From: shanen@VERT (Shanen)
To: Tracker1
Subject: Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/Con
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 16:37:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Shanen - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 23:37 UTC

-=> Tracker1 wrote to Shanen <=-

Tr> @VIA: TRN
Tr> @MSGID: <648C3CF8.1817.dove-hwswhelp@roughneckbbs.com>
Tr> @REPLY: <647C57A1.17785.dove-hlp@vert.synchro.net>
Tr> Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/Con
Tr> By: Shanen to All on Sat
Tr> Jun 03 2023 20:10:00

Tr> I have found the best option to be an HP Laser on a network interface
Tr> for the best cross os/platform support, and higher capacity tonor
Tr> cartridges. My current HP has been running for close to a decade, and
Tr> the one before it for about 15 years or so. Unless you are printing a
Tr> *LOT*, which is where many defer to Epson tank options afaik, no idea
Tr> on Linux support.

Tr> My HP laser has worked without issue on Linux, Windows, MacOS and
Tr> Android phones. Just my own $.02

Finally I opted for an HP Smart Tank 516. It was sold at a small discount,
is cheaper than a laser printer and is a *big* upgrade from using cartriges.
Plus one more year of warranty in addition to the standard two years if you
register at no cost.

A couple of days after I bought and set it up, a neighbor asked me (again)
for like 60 color pages. Previously this would have almost emptied
a cartridge, now the ink level didn't even blink. My only worry is with
printheads but so far so good. I just wish CUPS had fewer bugs, but hey...

Also, how do you print from an Android phone? I saw HP had an application for
that (at hpapp.com IIRC), but it requires you to send each and every file to
be printed to the mothership so this was a big no no for me.

.... MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/Con

<648F9AD8.2035.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=854&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#854

From: arelor@VERT/PALANTIR (Arelor)
To: Shanen
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 19:01:28 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Arelor - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 00:01 UTC

Re: Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/Con
By: Shanen to Tracker1 on Sat Jun 17 2023 04:37 pm

> Also, how do you print from an Android phone? I saw HP had an application fo > that (at hpapp.com IIRC), but it requires you to send each and every file to > be printed to the mothership so this was a big no no for me. >
If you are talking about the HP Smart subsystem, I am told they made it using
cheap asian labor and that the codebase sucks so much that, if you ever read
it, you'd want to set your printer on fire.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/Con

<649383F7.1825.dove-hwswhelp@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=856&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#856

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: Shanen
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 23:12:55 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Tracker1 - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 23:12 UTC

Re: Re: Ink Tank Printers, Pro/Con
By: Shanen to Tracker1 on Sat Jun 17 2023 16:37:00

Sh> Also, how do you print from an Android phone? I saw HP had an application
Sh> for that (at hpapp.com IIRC), but it requires you to send each and every
Sh> file to be printed to the mothership so this was a big no no for me.

Varies by application, but generally it's buried under the share icon and not all apps support it. I'm able to print directly. I did have the HP network thing setup, as well as google's chrome printer sharing (neither work now)... but when I'm on network I am able to print (mostly).

Like for Brave browser, I click the vertical elipsis menu, then the share button at the top, then have to scroll right on the second line and print is at the end. It's kind of buried though and definitely not obvious.

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com