An engineer is someone who does list processing in FORTRAN.

dovenet / HAM Radio / Re: Huntsville Hamfest

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Huntsville HamfestJIMMY ANDERSON
`* Re: Huntsville HamfestDaryl Stout
 `* Re: Huntsville HamfestJimmy Anderson
  `* Re: Huntsville HamfestDaryl Stout
   +* Re: Huntsville HamfestMoondog
   |`* Re: Huntsville HamfestDaryl Stout
   | `* Re: Huntsville HamfestMoondog
   |  `- Re: Huntsville HamfestDaryl Stout
   `* Re: Huntsville HamfestJimmy Anderson
    `* Re: Huntsville HamfestDaryl Stout
     +* Re: Huntsville HamfestKF5QEO
     |`- Weather And TrainsDaryl Stout
     `* Re: Huntsville HamfestJimmy Anderson
      `- Re: Huntsville HamfestDaryl Stout

1
Re: Huntsville Hamfest

<63C59BCC.10471.dove-ham@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=850&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#850

From: jimmy.anderson@VERT/OTHETA (JIMMY ANDERSON)
To: BELLY
Subject: Re: Huntsville Hamfest
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 04:53:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: JIMMY ANDERSON - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 04:53 UTC

-=> BELLY wrote to ALL <=-

BE> @VIA: BRAZINET
BE> @MSGID: <62F81389.2919.doveham@brazi.net>
BE> Is anyone going to the Huntsville Hamfest a week from today in Alabama?
BE> I have a table and will be purveying a random assortment of crap.

I went a few years ago, but didn't get there this last time...

.... Babehart - a cute little pig that slaughters half of Scotland
--- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
■ wcQWK 8.0 ≈ Omicron Theta *Cordova, TN * winserver.org

Re: Huntsville Hamfest

<63C6D867.1306.dove-2015@tbolt.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=857&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#857

From: daryl.stout@VERT/TBOLT (Daryl Stout)
To: JIMMY ANDERSON
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 04:17:00 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Daryl Stout - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 10:17 UTC

Jimmy,

JA> I went a few years ago, but didn't get there this last time...

I took the Greyhound Bus there from Little Rock, Arkansas nearly
6 years ago, as it was cheaper than flying, and Amtrak doesn't
serve the area.

However, it was truly a sardine can on wheels...my legs were so
cramped from the ride, that I nearly fell when getting up, then
to make matters worse, my pants fell off my hips. Had it not been
for Depends, it would've been "FULL MOON RISING" (never mind the
song from CCR (Credence Clearwater Revival -- never mind Covenants
Creeds And Restrictions (hi hi).

I had to take the bus from North Little Rock, Arkansas to
Nashville, Tennessee...with a brief stop in Memphis. In Nashville,
I changed buses to go to Huntsville.

I have some family in the Nashville area (and know a ham radio
operator who checks into one of my nets from the area), and was
able to see my aunt and uncle on the way back (I had a longer
layover on the way back home). So, my aunt took me to a nearby
White Castle, where I got the combo of "6 gut grenades <G>, a
large french fry, and a large Coca-Cola". That filled me up!!

Then, considering I still had a few hours before my bus back to
Memphis and Little Rock, she took me to their home to visit with
her and my uncle (both are in poor health now).

On the way back to the bus station, there was an ambulance ahead
of us, and the back doors were WIDE OPEN!! We kept thinking a
gurney/stretcher with a patient on it, was going to roll out at
any moment!! It beat all I had ever seen!!

However, with congestive heart failure now, and financial issues
(being on a fixed income, and fully disabled for almost 20 years),
I don't go outside of Pulaski County (Little Rock) anymore...either
for hamfests or otherwise. I gave up driving 7 months ago, and sold
my car, due to dry corneas that would blur my vision without warning.
Even with eye drops, it happens here at home at the computer, and
even during ham radio nets. Then, for the nets, I have to muddle
through to the end...then I just get away from the computer, put in
eye drops, and go to bed.

Daryl, WX4QZ

.... Please don't startle me. I tend to poop easily.
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas

Re: Huntsville Hamfest

<640AB1C4.1634.dove-ham@final-zone.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=912&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#912

From: jimmy.anderson@VERT/FINALZON (Jimmy Anderson)
To: Daryl Stout
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 10:36:00 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Jimmy Anderson - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 16:36 UTC

-=> Daryl Stout wrote to JIMMY ANDERSON <=-

DS> Jimmy,

JA> I went a few years ago, but didn't get there this last time...

DS> I took the Greyhound Bus there from Little Rock, Arkansas nearly
DS> 6 years ago, as it was cheaper than flying, and Amtrak doesn't
DS> serve the area.

I remember we talked back during that time - maybe the year after you
went is when I went?

.... "It appears to be a tagline of unknown origin." - Spock
--- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
� Synchronet � Final Zone BBS - final-zone.net - finalzone.ddns.net

Re: Huntsville Hamfest

<640C51A9.1374.dove-2015@tbolt.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=916&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#916

From: daryl.stout@VERT/TBOLT (Daryl Stout)
To: Jimmy Anderson
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 20:08:00 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Daryl Stout - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 02:08 UTC

Jimmy,

JA> I remember we talked back during that time - maybe the year after you
JA> went is when I went?

It's possible. I heard there was a great hamfest in Trussville, Alabama
this past weekend (the Birminghamfest). With health, financial, plus the
transportation issues, I rarely leave home now, and don't go outside the
Little Rock area anymore.

For the second time since I've been with Lyft, they tried to pair me
with a high ground clearance pickup truck. The step to get in is as high
as my groin, and I'd either rip my pants, fall to the ground, or twist
something (nuts to that...pun intended (hi hi)) trying to get in. So, I
wrote them a stern letter, asking them to NOT pair me with these high
ground clearance vehicles.

The arthritis is so bad throughout my body, especially in my left hip
and left knee...as well as degenerative disc disease in my back and spine,
that I'm in constant pain. I can not sit at the computer for long periods
of time, whether for ham radio traffic nets (with having congestive heart
failure, I operate "internet only"), or for the BBS. I had to reduce the
"early checkin time for my nets" from an hour to 30 minutes, and I may
need to soon cut that to 15, or eliminate it.

My health comes before any ham radio operator's ego that may be crushed
if a net shuts down.

I've got insomnia (never mind the call of nature, but I take my Lasix
at lunch), so that's why I'm up right now. Plus, hailstorms are forecast
here Saturday afternoon and night, as we're now into our spring tornado
season.

Daryl, WX4QZ

.... I xeroxed my watch. Now, I have time to spare.
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas

Re: Huntsville Hamfest

<640F94A1.9179.dove-ham@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=920&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#920

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: Daryl Stout
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 10:24:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Moondog - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 14:24 UTC

Re: Re: Huntsville Hamfest
By: Daryl Stout to Jimmy Anderson on Sat Mar 11 2023 03:08 am

> Jimmy,
>
> JA> I remember we talked back during that time - maybe the year after you
> JA> went is when I went?
>
> It's possible. I heard there was a great hamfest in Trussville, Alabama
> this past weekend (the Birminghamfest). With health, financial, plus the
> transportation issues, I rarely leave home now, and don't go outside the
> Little Rock area anymore.
>
> For the second time since I've been with Lyft, they tried to pair me
> with a high ground clearance pickup truck. The step to get in is as high
> as my groin, and I'd either rip my pants, fall to the ground, or twist
> something (nuts to that...pun intended (hi hi)) trying to get in. So, I
> wrote them a stern letter, asking them to NOT pair me with these high
> ground clearance vehicles.
>
> The arthritis is so bad throughout my body, especially in my left hip
> and left knee...as well as degenerative disc disease in my back and spine,
> that I'm in constant pain. I can not sit at the computer for long periods
> of time, whether for ham radio traffic nets (with having congestive heart
> failure, I operate "internet only"), or for the BBS. I had to reduce the
> "early checkin time for my nets" from an hour to 30 minutes, and I may
> need to soon cut that to 15, or eliminate it.
>
> My health comes before any ham radio operator's ego that may be crushed
> if a net shuts down.
>
> I've got insomnia (never mind the call of nature, but I take my Lasix
> at lunch), so that's why I'm up right now. Plus, hailstorms are forecast
> here Saturday afternoon and night, as we're now into our spring tornado
> season.
>
> Daryl, WX4QZ
>
> ... I xeroxed my watch. Now, I have time to spare.

Have you considered doing a sleep study regarding your insomnia? Sometimes
the body wakes itself uyp if something isn't right. A bipap or cpap may be
necessary to correct sleep patterns.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Re: Huntsville Hamfest

<641408CB.1380.dove-2015@tbolt.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=922&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#922

From: daryl.stout@VERT/TBOLT (Daryl Stout)
To: Moondog
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 18:24:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Daryl Stout - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 23:24 UTC

Mo> Have you considered doing a sleep study regarding your insomnia?
Mo> Sometimes the body wakes itself uyp if something isn't right. A bipap
Mo> or cpap may be necessary to correct sleep patterns.

I have severe sleep apnea. The problem is that the CPAP they gave me
requires water...and the way we get lightning in central Arkansas during
thunderstorms, if that's plugged in, and a close or direct strike occurs,
I could be fatally electrocuted. I already have nervous system damage from
2 indirect lightning strikes at 3 and 16 years of age.

Plus, after I moved back home 5 years ago, in putting my Mom in a nursing
home (she passed away in August, 2019), much of my stuff is still in storage
crates in the garage. But, after having hernia surgery after moving back
home, I can't lift anything heavy, or I might undo the surgery. So, I have
no idea where it is.

Daryl

.... I thought I was indecisive...but now, I'm not so sure.
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas

Re: Huntsville Hamfest

<6414FEF6.9186.dove-ham@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=925&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#925

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: Daryl Stout
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 12:59:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Moondog - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 16:59 UTC

Re: Re: Huntsville Hamfest
By: Daryl Stout to Moondog on Fri Mar 17 2023 01:24 am

> Mo> Have you considered doing a sleep study regarding your insomnia?
> Mo> Sometimes the body wakes itself uyp if something isn't right. A bipap
> Mo> or cpap may be necessary to correct sleep patterns.
>
> I have severe sleep apnea. The problem is that the CPAP they gave me
> requires water...and the way we get lightning in central Arkansas during
> thunderstorms, if that's plugged in, and a close or direct strike occurs,
> I could be fatally electrocuted. I already have nervous system damage from
> 2 indirect lightning strikes at 3 and 16 years of age.
>
> Plus, after I moved back home 5 years ago, in putting my Mom in a nursing
> home (she passed away in August, 2019), much of my stuff is still in storage
> crates in the garage. But, after having hernia surgery after moving back
> home, I can't lift anything heavy, or I might undo the surgery. So, I have
> no idea where it is.
>
> Daryl
>
> ... I thought I was indecisive...but now, I'm not so sure.

I never heard of someone taking lightning hit from a humidifier in a cpap.
I won't rule it out. If you need a cpap and you live in a storm belt area (I
do as well) I would consider a UPS /battery backup for the device to keep it
running in a storm and act as a form of isolation from surges and spikes.
Burning up a UPs is better than getting zapped or burning up a cpap machine.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Re: Huntsville Hamfest

<6415D1ED.1385.dove-2015@tbolt.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=926&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#926

From: daryl.stout@VERT/TBOLT (Daryl Stout)
To: Moondog
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 02:56:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Daryl Stout - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 07:56 UTC

Mo> I never heard of someone taking lightning hit from a humidifier in a
Mo> cpap. I won't rule it out. If you need a cpap and you live in a storm
Mo> belt area (I do as well) I would consider a UPS /battery backup for the
Mo> device to keep it running in a storm and act as a form of isolation
Mo> from surges and spikes. Burning up a UPs is better than getting zapped
Mo> or burning up a cpap machine.

As crazy as Arkansas weather has been lately, nothing surprises me.

I have a UPS device, but as noted, no amount of surge protection will
stop damage from a lightning hit...which could cause a fire.

And, having been struck twice by lightning (indirectly, but I still got
the shock, and have nervous system damage as a result), I don't want the
third time to be "the charm".

Daryl

.... "Installs In Minutes" doesn't say how many minutes!!
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas

Re: Huntsville Hamfest

<641EE6FB.1665.dove-ham@final-zone.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=943&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#943

From: jimmy.anderson@VERT/FINALZON (Jimmy Anderson)
To: Daryl Stout
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 12:59:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Jimmy Anderson - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 17:59 UTC

-=> Daryl Stout wrote to Jimmy Anderson <=-

DS> Jimmy,

DS> It's possible. I heard there was a great hamfest in Trussville,
DS> Alabama this past weekend (the Birminghamfest). With health, financial,
DS> plus the transportation issues, I rarely leave home now, and don't go
DS> outside the Little Rock area anymore.

Yeah, I'm getting there... have started having problems with knees and one
heel... If I were going to travel away for something right now it would be
for gaming... Board Games, or RPG's...

I do have on my short list, though, to visit the Ark Encounter and the
Creation Museum in Kentucky!!!

DS> For the second time since I've been with Lyft, they tried to pair me
DS> with a high ground clearance pickup truck. The step to get in is as
DS> high as my groin, and I'd either rip my pants, fall to the ground, or
DS> twist something (nuts to that...pun intended (hi hi)) trying to get in.
DS> So, I wrote them a stern letter, asking them to NOT pair me with these
DS> high ground clearance vehicles.

WOW!

DS> The arthritis is so bad throughout my body, especially in my left hip
DS> and left knee...as well as degenerative disc disease in my back and
DS> spine, that I'm in constant pain. I can not sit at the computer for
DS> long periods of time, whether for ham radio traffic nets (with having
DS> congestive heart failure, I operate "internet only"), or for the BBS. I
DS> had to reduce the "early checkin time for my nets" from an hour to 30
DS> minutes, and I may need to soon cut that to 15, or eliminate it.

DS> My health comes before any ham radio operator's ego that may be
DS> crushed if a net shuts down.

That is SO so correct!!!

DS> I've got insomnia (never mind the call of nature, but I take my Lasix
DS> at lunch), so that's why I'm up right now. Plus, hailstorms are
DS> forecast here Saturday afternoon and night, as we're now into our
DS> spring tornado season.

I'm typing this Friday night - Tornado Warning between here and the river...

.... DOS never says "EXCELLENT command or filename"
--- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
� Synchronet � Final Zone BBS - final-zone.net - finalzone.ddns.net

Re: Huntsville Hamfest

<64218287.1404.dove-2015@tbolt.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=947&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#947

From: daryl.stout@VERT/TBOLT (Daryl Stout)
To: Jimmy Anderson
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 23:23:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Daryl Stout - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 04:23 UTC

Jimmy,

JA> Yeah, I'm getting there... have started having problems with knees and
JA> one heel... If I were going to travel away for something right now it
JA> would be for gaming... Board Games, or RPG's...

Getting old is not for sissies...and if you call me a sissy, I'll hit
you with my purse (hi hi).

JA> I do have on my short list, though, to visit the Ark Encounter and the
JA> Creation Museum in Kentucky!!!

I've seen videos on that...it looks impressive.

JA> WOW!

They now have a driver shortage...so much so, I had to cancel the
appointment to my cardiologist 2 weeks ago.

JA> That is SO so correct!!!

If you don't have your health, you have nothing.

JA> I'm typing this Friday night - Tornado Warning between here and the
JA> river...

Mississippi got slammed by an EF-4 tornado that devastated Rolling
Fork and Amory. Much of Arkansas into the MidSouth is under an ENHANCED
RISK for Friday of this week. March came in like a lion, and apparently,
it'll go out the same way.

Daryl, WX4QZ

.... Chain Lightning: For when you can't stop with one bolt.
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas

Re: Huntsville Hamfest

<642316BE.31.dove-ham@kf5qeo.servebbs.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=949&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#949

From: kf5qeo@VERT/MAINLINE (KF5QEO)
To: Daryl Stout
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 04:33:02 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: KF5QEO - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 09:33 UTC

Re: Re: Huntsville Hamfest
By: Daryl Stout to Jimmy Anderson on Mon Mar 27 2023 06:23 am

> Mississippi got slammed by an EF-4 tornado that devastated Rolling
> Fork and Amory. Much of Arkansas into the MidSouth is under an ENHANCED
> RISK for Friday of this week. March came in like a lion, and apparently,
> it'll go out the same way.
You ain't Whistleing Dixie there! The Clarion Ledger has a picture of a demolished House and an 18-wheeler that was lifted up, and dropped down on top of the house! And, I think they said 24 dead!

---
■ Synchronet ■ KF5QEO's Shack -- kf5qeo.servebbs.net

Re: Huntsville Hamfest

<6455C193.1695.dove-ham@final-zone.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=973&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#973

From: jimmy.anderson@VERT/FINALZON (Jimmy Anderson)
To: Daryl Stout
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 19:14:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Jimmy Anderson - Sat, 6 May 2023 00:14 UTC

-=> Daryl Stout wrote to Jimmy Anderson <=-

JA> Yeah, I'm getting there... have started having problems with knees and
JA> one heel... If I were going to travel away for something right now it
JA> would be for gaming... Board Games, or RPG's...

DS> Getting old is not for sissies...and if you call me a sissy, I'll hit
DS> you with my purse (hi hi).

LOL - that's a good one!

JA> I do have on my short list, though, to visit the Ark Encounter and the
JA> Creation Museum in Kentucky!!!

DS> I've seen videos on that...it looks impressive.

There's a conference that the pastor is interested in going and taking
us deacons along that's being held there. Mark Spence with Living Waters
Ministries is going to be there! Would love to meet him!

.... This tagline is donationware; send money to register it.
--- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
� Synchronet � Final Zone BBS - final-zone.net - finalzone.ddns.net

Re: Huntsville Hamfest

<6458790F.1433.dove-2015@tbolt.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=976&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#976

From: daryl.stout@VERT/TBOLT (Daryl Stout)
To: Jimmy Anderson
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 23:21:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: Daryl Stout - Mon, 8 May 2023 04:21 UTC

Jimmy,

DS> Getting old is not for sissies...and if you call me a sissy, I'll hit
DS> you with my purse (hi hi).

JA> LOL - that's a good one!

<WHOMP!>. It's like Christian Comedian Chonda Pierce said for all this
mess with Covid-19, where no wants to hug, etc. She said "I thought of
just slapping them...'How ya doin'?? <WHOMP!>". <G>

JA> There's a conference that the pastor is interested in going and taking
JA> us deacons along that's being held there. Mark Spence with Living
JA> Waters Ministries is going to be there! Would love to meet him!

I think of the Blooper that noted "Titanic exhibit closed due to water
damage" (hi hi).

Daryl, WX4QZ

.... Lead me not into temptation -- I'll find my own way.
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1450&group=DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio#1450

 by: - Tue, 7 May 2024 02:45 UTC