From: phazevektor@VERT/PEDALION (PhazeVektor)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Subject: Re: Homebrew Computers
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 10:54:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hobbies
 by: PhazeVektor - Mon, 24 May 2021 10:54 UTC

pF> Mainframe consoles, powered by a Pi and running apps - this alongside an
pF> actual working IBM 1401 on the ground floor.
pF>

IBM okay with this? Suprised to hear that this was going on in a public
event. In the past you haven't been able to emulate OS/360+ without license,
iirc.

I haven't touched mainframe for a few years, but I know that within a handful
of years ago, I was looking at licensing z/OS for an application,
and I recall some discussion around emulation, licensing and the like that
gave our team a bit of headache.

~pv

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
* Origin: Pedalion BBS

Re: Homebrew Computers

<60ACF088.2179.dove-hobby@dmine.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=849&group=DOVE-Net.Hobbies#849

From: dr..what@VERT/DMINE (Dr. What)
To: PhazeVektor
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 01:18:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hobbies
 by: Dr. What - Tue, 25 May 2021 05:18 UTC

-=> PhazeVektor wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Ph> IBM okay with this? Suprised to hear that this was going on in a public
Ph> event. In the past you haven't been able to emulate OS/360+ without
Ph> license, iirc.

You can do whatever you want - as long as you don't sell it or distribute it.
It's only then that you run afoul of Copyright/Patent laws.

But I know that IBM did make emulators for many of their smaller mainframe
systems. I knew of a project that ran a IBM System 36 emulator on an IBM-AT
class machine.

.... Network management is like trying to herd cats...
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net:24 - Fredericksburg, VA USA