From: arrl.de.wd1cks@VERT/WLARB (ARRL de WD1CKS)
To: QST
Subject: Amateur Radio Featured on Montana Public Television
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 08:28:22 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: ARRL de WD1CKS - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 08:28 UTC

12/16/2022

On Thursday, November 24, 2022, Thanksgiving evening, MontanaPBS aired a
documentary about amateur radio that was appropriately titled, HAM. The
25-minute program was produced by students, in cooperation with the Greater
Montana Foundation, as well as the School of Journalism and the School of
Visual & Media Arts at the University of Montana (UM) in Missoula. Several
local amateur radio operators were featured in the program, including Lance
Collister, W7GJ; Dennis Lane, KR7Q; Mike Leary, K7MSO, and Keith Graves, NE7R.
Together, they talked about how amateur radio has evolved and their experiences
as active hams.

The program is available to watch on the MontanaPBS website, at
www.montanapbs.org/programs/ham[1].

ARRL member Lance Collister, W7GJ, of Frenchtown, Montana, was among the hams
featured in the student-produced documentary.

"I was happy to agree to the interview," said ARRL member Dennis Lane, KR7Q,
who was among a handful of hams featured in the video, such as Lane and his
wife, Debi; Lance Collister, W7GJ; Karen Orzech; Mike Leary, K7MSO; Keith
Graves, NE7R, and Lois Graves, W7LAG. "The students visited my home and ham
shack in early March of 2022. They seemed to be interested in the
human-interest aspect of ham radio," Lane continued. "I tried to emphasize the
relationships and lifelong friendships that I have enjoyed over my 45 years in
the hobby."

Lane also shared, "When I told the students about Parks on the Air¿, they asked
if they could come with me on my next POTA activation. I was happy to have them
join me at Lee Metcalf National Wildlife Refuge in Stevensville." During the
activation, Lane made radio contacts on both VHF and shortwave, using an
end-fed half-wave antenna. "One of the first contacts I made was in Alaska.
They seemed very excited about that."

The UM student film crew included Grace Wolcott, Kal Bailey, Jared Benge,
Karter Bernhardt, Julien Dousset, Maiya Fleck, Marcia Heydt, Natalie
Verploegen, and Ryan Weibush. Lane published these personal videos from the
filming:

https://www.montanaartqwerks.com/My-Ham-Radio-Page-de-KR7Q/Mpbs/i-wqc9jJz/A[2]

https://youtu.be/S_UBc-b-Nek[3] (YouTube)

[1] https://www.montanapbs.org/programs/ham
[2] https://www.montanaartqwerks.com/My-Ham-Radio-Page-de-KR7Q/Mpbs/i-wqc9jJz/A
[3] https://youtu.be/S_UBc-b-Nek

---
■ Synchronet ■ Whiskey Lover's Amateur Radio BBS