From: khronos@VERT/CWSHACK (Khronos)
To: All
Subject: Bbs not logging to syslog
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 06:02:41 -0300
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Khronos - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 09:02 UTC

Hi,
I am getting along nicely with my system setup. One thing that is troubling me is that I don't seem to be getting any logs for the bbs in the syslog.
I have the syslog level set to 3 and have it logging to the syslog /var/log/sbbs.log file.
For the time being I am running the bbs manually with sudo /sbbs/exec/sbbs.
If I want to see any log messages I have to run it in console mode instead of using the daemon option.
Using Ubuntu Linux for this install.

What is the best way for me to figure out where I am going wrong here?

Thanks,

---
■ Synchronet ■ Cw Shack telnet kf4yey.com

Bbs not logging to syslog

<643064DA.49733.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=828&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion#828

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Khronos
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 11:45:46 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
 by: Digital Man - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 18:45 UTC

Re: Bbs not logging to syslog
By: Khronos to All on Fri Apr 07 2023 06:02 am

> Hi,
> I am getting along nicely with my system setup. One thing that is troubling
> me is that I don't seem to be getting any logs for the bbs in the syslog.
> I have the syslog level set to 3 and have it logging to the syslog
> /var/log/sbbs.log file.

syslog level 3 is "critical", meaning you will only be logging messages of a critical severity or worse (higher in severity). That won't be very many messages logged, if any at all. A normal syslog level would be 6 (INFO) or 7 (DEBUG).

> For the time being I am running the bbs manually with sudo /sbbs/exec/sbbs.
> If I want to see any log messages I have to run it in console mode instead
> of using the daemon option.
> Using Ubuntu Linux for this install.
>
> What is the best way for me to figure out where I am going wrong here?

It's best to run sbbs on Ubuntu Linux using systemd, not "manually with sudo". See the install/systemd/sbbs.service file for instructions.

Once running sbbs in that manner, you'd use 'journalctl -u sbbs' to read/search the log output. To see the log output in real time, you'd use 'journalctl -f -u sbbs'.
--
digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #12:
Nigel Tufnel: Well, I don't know - wh-wh-... what're the hours?
Norco, CA WX: 65.2°F, 36.0% humidity, 3 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net