Here I am in 53 B.C. and all I want is a dill pickle!!

dovenet / Unix / Re: Screen or tmux?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Screen or tmux?poindexter FORTRAN
+* Re: Screen or tmux?Gamgee
|`* Re: Screen or tmux?poindexter FORTRAN
| `* Re: Screen or tmux?Boraxman
|  `- Re: Screen or tmux?Arelor
`* Re: Screen or tmux?Ksource
 `- Re: Screen or tmux?Boraxman

1
Re: Screen or tmux?

<60914C34.2674.dove.dove-nix@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=791&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#791

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Gamgee
Subject: Re: Screen or tmux?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 23:59:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 06:59 UTC

-=> Gamgee wrote to All <=-

Ga> For you Linux users... what's your pick - screen or tmux, and why?

Tmux - it just makes more sense to me. I'm a little late to the game,
playing more with screen multiplexers now. Where I used to open a couple of
Putty sessions, I can now do everything with one session and Tmux.

.... Look at the order in which you do things
--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
� Synchronet � realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org

Re: Screen or tmux?

<60919499.428.dove-unix@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=794&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#794

From: gamgee@VERT/PALANT (Gamgee)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 06:39:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: Gamgee - Tue, 4 May 2021 11:39 UTC

-=> poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Gamgee <=-

Ga> For you Linux users... what's your pick - screen or tmux, and why?

pF> Tmux - it just makes more sense to me. I'm a little late to the
pF> game, playing more with screen multiplexers now. Where I used to
pF> open a couple of Putty sessions, I can now do everything with one
pF> session and Tmux.

Well, to be fair, it sounds like you could also do that with one session
and screen.

The question is why would one choose one or the other (tmux or screen)?

.... Gone crazy, be back later, please leave message.
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Screen or tmux?

<609333BF.2679.dove.dove-nix@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=795&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#795

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Gamgee
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 00:01:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Wed, 5 May 2021 07:01 UTC

-=> Gamgee wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Ga> The question is why would one choose one or the other (tmux or screen)?

<flips coin>

I'm on tilde.club and someone on there wrote a nice HOWTO on using tmux.
Once I started googling tmux, my google news feed was *filled* with helpful
web sites outlining how to use it.

.... Change ambiguities to specifics
--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
� Synchronet � realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org

Re: Screen or tmux?

<6093A358.2830.dove-nix@bbs.mozysswamp.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=796&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#796

From: boraxman@VERT/MSRDBBS (Boraxman)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 01:04:00 +1000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: Boraxman - Wed, 5 May 2021 15:04 UTC

-=> poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Gamgee <=-

pF> @MSGID: <609333BF.2679.dove.dove-nix@realitycheckbbs.org>
pF> @REPLY: <60919499.428.dove-unix@palantirbbs.ddns.net>
-=> Gamgee wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Ga> The question is why would one choose one or the other (tmux or screen)?

pF> <flips coin>

pF> I'm on tilde.club and someone on there wrote a nice HOWTO on using
pF> tmux. Once I started googling tmux, my google news feed was *filled*
pF> with helpful web sites outlining how to use it.

It tmux had zmodem support, I would switch, but it doesn't. I am actually
using tmux now to try it out. I actually find it useful for a quick file
transfer, its a little more convienient than using SSH or netcat.

.... MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
■ Synchronet ■ MS & RD BBs - bbs.mozysswamp.org

Re: Screen or tmux?

<60956DF5.432.dove-unix@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=797&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#797

From: arelor@VERT/PALANT (Arelor)
To: Boraxman
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 04:42:29 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: Arelor - Fri, 7 May 2021 09:42 UTC

Re: Re: Screen or tmux?
By: Boraxman to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu May 06 2021 08:04 am

> -=> poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Gamgee <=-
>
> pF> @MSGID: <609333BF.2679.dove.dove-nix@realitycheckbbs.org>
> pF> @REPLY: <60919499.428.dove-unix@palantirbbs.ddns.net>
> -=> Gamgee wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-
>
> Ga> The question is why would one choose one or the other (tmux or screen)?
>
> pF> <flips coin>
>
> pF> I'm on tilde.club and someone on there wrote a nice HOWTO on using
> pF> tmux. Once I started googling tmux, my google news feed was *filled*
> pF> with helpful web sites outlining how to use it.
>
> It tmux had zmodem support, I would switch, but it doesn't. I am actually using tm
> now to try it out. I actually find it useful for a quick file transfer, its a litt
> more convienient than using SSH or netcat.
>
> ... MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!

I used c-kermit under tmux for a while in order to handle XYZModem stuff for a while.
It works ok. Still it looks like the process is a bit more streamlined under screen,
or that is the memory I have from when I looked into the documentation.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Screen or tmux?

<60A218E4.5774.dove-nix@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=798&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#798

From: ksource@VERT/CAVEBBS (Ksource)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 20:19:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: Ksource - Mon, 17 May 2021 00:19 UTC

Re: Re: Screen or tmux?
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Gamgee on Fri Apr 30 2021 06:59 am

> -=> Gamgee wrote to All <=-
>
> Ga> For you Linux users... what's your pick - screen or tmux, and why?
>
> Tmux - it just makes more sense to me. I'm a little late to the game,
> playing more with screen multiplexers now. Where I used to open a couple of
> Putty sessions, I can now do everything with one session and Tmux.

Honestly I think you're in a good position. I use screen because I've been
around for a while and screen was the first really decent terminal
multiplexer. The codebase for GNU Screen is pretty gnarly and there's not a
lot of substantial development on it to speak of. tmux has a cleaner (and
smaller/simpler) codebase and attracts more development.

I tried tmux once and it was fine. I spent all my time configuration it to
work like screen and thought "well, this is pointless, I'll just use screen".
I think if I were coming into it new and didn't have any habits and
muscle-memory built up, I would start with tmux, though.

I'll use screen until I need something screen can't do, and then I'll switch
to tmux, I think.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Re: Screen or tmux?

<60A256CD.2833.dove-nix@bbs.mozysswamp.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=799&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#799

From: boraxman@VERT/MSRDBBS (Boraxman)
To: Ksource
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 14:37:00 +1000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: Boraxman - Mon, 17 May 2021 04:37 UTC

-=> Ksource wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Ks> @MSGID: <60A218E4.5774.dove-nix@cavebbs.homeip.net>
Ks> @REPLY: <60914C34.2674.dove.dove-nix@realitycheckbbs.org>
Ks> Re: Re: Screen or tmux?
Ks> By: poindexter FORTRAN to Gamgee
Ks> on Fri Apr 30 2021 06:59 am

> -=> Gamgee wrote to All <=-
>
> Ga> For you Linux users... what's your pick - screen or tmux, and why?
>
> Tmux - it just makes more sense to me. I'm a little late to the game,
> playing more with screen multiplexers now. Where I used to open a couple of
> Putty sessions, I can now do everything with one session and Tmux.

Ks> Honestly I think you're in a good position. I use screen because I've
Ks> been around for a while and screen was the first really decent terminal
Ks> multiplexer. The codebase for GNU Screen is pretty gnarly and there's
Ks> not a lot of substantial development on it to speak of. tmux has a
Ks> cleaner (and smaller/simpler) codebase and attracts more development.

Ks> I tried tmux once and it was fine. I spent all my time configuration it
Ks> to work like screen and thought "well, this is pointless, I'll just use
Ks> screen". I think if I were coming into it new and didn't have any
Ks> habits and muscle-memory built up, I would start with tmux, though.

Ks> I'll use screen until I need something screen can't do, and then I'll
Ks> switch to tmux, I think.

I've started trying Tmux in place of Screen, and I like it, but for the most
part, screen has all the functionality I need anyway, and the zmodem support
that screen has is actually more useful than you think.