From: jimmy.anderson@VERT/OTHETA (JIMMY ANDERSON)
To: MOONDOG
Subject: Re: 30 super carry
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 04:12:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: JIMMY ANDERSON - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 04:12 UTC

-=> MOONDOG wrote to JIMMY ANDERSON <=-

MO> I haven't looked into any reviews on the new cartridge, but it looks
MO> like ligh t, fast bullet. 100 grain at 1215fps. 12 rds fitting in the
MO> space 10 rounds of 9mm take up. Choice of defensive projectile
MO> shouldn't be too hard.

Agreed.

MO> Regarding reloading, I wonder if the 110gr bullets used for reloading
MO> .30 carbine would work for plinking ammo?

I don't currently reload, but been interested. Might be a good one
to learn on? :-)

.... Capt'n! The spellchecker kinna take this abuse!
--- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
■ wcQWK 8.0 ≈ Omicron Theta * Cordova, TN * winserver.org

Re: 30 super carry

<61F02EE0.2547.dove-gun@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=783&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#783

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: JIMMY ANDERSON
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 05:09:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Moondog - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 10:09 UTC

Re: Re: 30 super carry
By: JIMMY ANDERSON to MOONDOG on Sat Jan 22 2022 11:12 am

> -=> MOONDOG wrote to JIMMY ANDERSON <=-
>
> MO> I haven't looked into any reviews on the new cartridge, but it looks
> MO> like ligh t, fast bullet. 100 grain at 1215fps. 12 rds fitting in the
> MO> space 10 rounds of 9mm take up. Choice of defensive projectile
> MO> shouldn't be too hard.
>
> Agreed.
>
> MO> Regarding reloading, I wonder if the 110gr bullets used for reloading
> MO> .30 carbine would work for plinking ammo?
>
> I don't currently reload, but been interested. Might be a good one
> to learn on? :-)
>

> ... Capt'n! The spellchecker kinna take this abuse!

Pistol cartridges are easy to start with. Since there is no bottleneck to wor
ry about,you can buy carbide dies and not worry about sizing lube.

First step is to resize and de-prime. A cartridge's diameter is less than the
chamber diameter in order to fit. When fired, the case diameter will expand
a little to un do the slight crimp placed on the projectile when fired. it
must be re-sized to factory specs. It gets placed in a die with an expander
ball, so the inside and outside are set. A de-priming pin is on the end of
trhe expander ball, which pushes out the primer via the flash hole.

Next step I do is clean with a tumbler. The tumbler uses a media such
as ground corn cob or crushed walnut hulls with a bit of polishing compound
to remove oxidation and other grit from the outside of cases.

Next stp is belling the mouth of the case. When a case is re-sized, it is
slightly under-sized, so the projectile will barely fit. Belling the mouth
opens it slightly to allow the bullet to fit without scraping the case mouth.

Next step is priming. A primer is a small cup which consists of a cup and
anvil in which which the explosive priming compound sits. Striking the cup
with the firing pin will pinch it against the anvil, setting off the primer.
if it is new brass the primer pocket might need a crimp removed. Otherwise
the tool pushes it in easily.

measure the amount of powder as indicated by the manual. it is poured into
the case with a funnel.

Once filled, it is time to cap the case with a bullet, and seat and crimp
with the seating die.

Bottleneck cartridges like most rifles shoot require the case to be lubed in
order to be inserted in the die and push back the should of the case, then
trimmed afterwards to remove any worked brass that may have stretched. if
the case is too long it may cause chambering problems or push on the bullet
and create pressure issues when firing. The sizing die needs to be removed
afterwards, so a cleaning stage is required rather than being optional.
Straight walled pistol cases do not stretch as much, if any.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net