From: hollowone@VERT/BEERS20 (hollowone)
To: MRO
Subject: Re: Microsoft
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 05:53:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Debate
 by: hollowone - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 05:53 UTC

MR> i used netscape and i don't even remember that happening. i looked it up
MR> and it said it was using the gecko engine.

THen perhaps memory plays tricks with me. it somehow resonates with me that six (that with aqua blue ui and big six in the background layer of the welcome web page it was starting with, I think animated as well) was implemented in java or strongly integrated with java.

Regardless, it was slow beyond acceptance on my computer at that time

MR> MR> i think people ditched
nutscrape long before 6 if that really happened.

I liked it up to 4, for sure. It was my browser on early linux and win 3.11/32. My early Internet access memories is Netscape and MIRC :>

-h1

.... Xerox Alto was the thing. Anything after we use is just a copy.

Re: Microsoft

<641CC5DE.28730.dove_dove-deb@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=784&group=DOVE-Net.Debate#784

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: hollowone
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 07:34:22 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Debate
 by: Nightfox - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 14:34 UTC

Re: Re: Microsoft
By: hollowone to MRO on Thu Mar 23 2023 12:53 pm

MR>> i used netscape and i don't even remember that happening. i looked
MR>> it up and it said it was using the gecko engine.

ho> THen perhaps memory plays tricks with me. it somehow resonates with me
ho> that six (that with aqua blue ui and big six in the background layer of
ho> the welcome web page it was starting with, I think animated as well) was
ho> implemented in java or strongly integrated with java.

I used Netscape for a long time as well, and I don't remember hearing about it being ported to Java. And with that version of Netscape, I don't recall needing to install the Java runtime to use it.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: Microsoft

<641CD192.4341.dove-deb@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=785&group=DOVE-Net.Debate#785

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: hollowone
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 10:24:18 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Debate
 by: MRO - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 15:24 UTC

Re: Re: Microsoft
By: hollowone to MRO on Thu Mar 23 2023 12:53 pm

> I liked it up to 4, for sure. It was my browser on early linux and win
> 3.11/32. My early Internet access memories is Netscape and MIRC :>

i used the mosiac browser with compuserv
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::