From: calcmandan@VERT/BTTMLSS (calcmandan)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Subject: Re: How far I've come...
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 20:58:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: calcmandan - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 20:58 UTC

pF> Everything went back together, the fans are quieter, the fan that would
pF> stop working momentarily is working normally, and I didn't break
pF> anything or have screws left over!

I know the feeling, my old workhorse laptop from twelve years ago had the
same problem with the CPU fan. Then it happened to my firewall box. Then it
happened to my cloud server. Then...

Feels good doesn't it.

Daniel Traechin

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
* Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS * bbs.bottomlessabyss.net

Re: How far I've come...

<63FBE49B.4952.dove.hardware@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=773&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#773

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: calcmandan
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 00:56:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 08:56 UTC

-=> calcmandan wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

pF> Everything went back together, the fans are quieter, the fan that would
pF> stop working momentarily is working normally, and I didn't break
pF> anything or have screws left over!

ca> I know the feeling, my old workhorse laptop from twelve years ago had
ca> the same problem with the CPU fan. Then it happened to my firewall box.
ca> Then it happened to my cloud server. Then...

ca> Feels good doesn't it.

It feels good not tossing out old hardware; old hardware, with a little
bit of maintenance here and there seems to last longer.

.... What context would look right?
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: How far I've come...

<63FBFD4B.1234.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=774&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#774

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 11:46:03 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:46 UTC

Re: Re: How far I've come...
By: poindexter FORTRAN to calcmandan on Sun Feb 26 2023 07:56 am

> -=> calcmandan wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-
>
> pF> Everything went back together, the fans are quieter, the fan that would
> pF> stop working momentarily is working normally, and I didn't break
> pF> anything or have screws left over!
>
> ca> I know the feeling, my old workhorse laptop from twelve years ago had
> ca> the same problem with the CPU fan. Then it happened to my firewall box.
> ca> Then it happened to my cloud server. Then...
>
> ca> Feels good doesn't it.
>
> It feels good not tossing out old hardware; old hardware, with a little
> bit of maintenance here and there seems to last longer.

more energy consumption. it's better to get rid of the old shit
and slim it all down.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: How far I've come...

<63FCC9EB.1949.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=775&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#775

From: arelor@VERT/PALANT (Arelor)
To: MRO
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 02:19:07 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Arelor - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 08:19 UTC

Re: Re: How far I've come...
By: MRO to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Feb 26 2023 06:46 pm

> more energy consumption. it's better to get rid of the old shit
> and slim it all down.

You'd be surprised sometimes.

If your computers work under medium to heavy load, there is a point past which
it makes a lot of sense to ditch old hardware and replace it with new one.
However, under lightweight load, it would take ages to save enough power to
justify replacing an old computer worth 40 bucks for one worth 200.

Something similar happens with incandescent bulbs. If you don't use the
lighbulb that much, it does not make sense to replace it with a low-cunsuption
lightsource. You won't recoup the cost of switching with the power savings.

Specially if you are $me and have solar electricity for 96% of the year XD

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: How far I've come...

<63FCDED4.1236.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=776&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#776

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Arelor
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 03:48:20 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 09:48 UTC

Re: Re: How far I've come...
By: Arelor to MRO on Mon Feb 27 2023 09:19 am

> Re: Re: How far I've come...
> By: MRO to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Feb 26 2023 06:46 pm
>
> > more energy consumption. it's better to get rid of the old shit
> > and slim it all down.
>
> You'd be surprised sometimes.
>
> If your computers work under medium to heavy load, there is a point past
> which it makes a lot of sense to ditch old hardware and replace it with new
> one. However, under lightweight load, it would take ages to save enough
> power to justify replacing an old computer worth 40 bucks for one worth 200.

no i'm not surprised. i used to have a house full of computers running and now i have one in my bedroom and one running downstairs as a media center.

i have a killowat and i've seen the difference.

anyways, it's just better to get rid of that old shit. some people need to stop being fucking hoarders.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: How far I've come...

<63FD2718.11344.dove-hlp@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=777&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#777

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: MRO
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 09:56:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Moondog - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 14:56 UTC

Re: Re: How far I've come...
By: MRO to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Feb 26 2023 06:46 pm

> Re: Re: How far I've come...
> By: poindexter FORTRAN to calcmandan on Sun Feb 26 2023 07:56 am
>
> > -=> calcmandan wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-
> >
> > pF> Everything went back together, the fans are quieter, the fan that wo
> > pF> stop working momentarily is working normally, and I didn't break
> > pF> anything or have screws left over!
> >
> > ca> I know the feeling, my old workhorse laptop from twelve years ago ha
> > ca> the same problem with the CPU fan. Then it happened to my firewall b
> > ca> Then it happened to my cloud server. Then...
> >
> > ca> Feels good doesn't it.
> >
> > It feels good not tossing out old hardware; old hardware, with a little
> > bit of maintenance here and there seems to last longer.
> >

> more energy consumption. it's better to get rid of the old shit
> and slim it all down.

I've invested in a few single board pc's before the Pi supply dried up, and
swapped out some old Pentium 4's for Arm cpu's.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net