From: arelor@VERT/PALANT (Arelor)
To: Gamgee
Subject: Screen or tmux?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 20:29:54 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: Arelor - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 01:29 UTC

Re: Screen or tmux?
By: Gamgee to All on Thu Apr 29 2021 07:52 pm

> For you Linux users... what's your pick - screen or tmux, and why?
>
> Thanks.

I got started with screen, but nowadays I use tmux more often. The main reason
is that it is in OpenBSD's base install, so I just got used to it. It is also
licensed under a BSD-like license, if you care about such things. In addition,
its keyboard commands are a bit easier for my fingers.

In the end of the day it is just another Vim vs Emacs war.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Screen or tmux?

<608BFC12.395.dove-unix@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=764&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#764

From: gamgee@VERT/PALANT (Gamgee)
To: Arelor
Subject: Re: Screen or tmux?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 00:43:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: Gamgee - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 05:43 UTC

-=> Arelor wrote to Gamgee <=-

> For you Linux users... what's your pick - screen or tmux, and why?

Ar> I got started with screen, but nowadays I use tmux more often.
Ar> The main reason is that it is in OpenBSD's base install, so I
Ar> just got used to it. It is also licensed under a BSD-like
Ar> license, if you care about such things. In addition, its keyboard
Ar> commands are a bit easier for my fingers.

Okay. The commands are all customizable if desired... I've always used
screen too, but have been playing with tmux some lately. It does have
some VERY nice features, and is very configurable. I especially like
being able to have more than one "window" available (proper term might
be "session", I'm not sure). Also splitting it into multi panes is very
cool. I will probably eventually switch over to using it exclusively.

Ar> In the end of the day it is just another Vim vs Emacs war.

Hehe, I suppose that is probably true. Nano for the win. ;-)

.... Alimony: Bounty on the Mutiny
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Screen or tmux?

<608C99A9.399.dove-unix@bbs.leenooks.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=768&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#768

From: deon@VERT/ALTERANT (deon)
To: Gamgee
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 02:58:33 +1000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: deon - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 16:58 UTC

Re: Re: Screen or tmux?
By: Gamgee to Arelor on Fri Apr 30 2021 07:43 am

Ga> Okay. The commands are all customizable if desired... I've always used
Ga> screen too, but have been playing with tmux some lately. It does have
Ga> some VERY nice features, and is very configurable. I especially like
Ga> being able to have more than one "window" available (proper term might
Ga> be "session", I'm not sure). Also splitting it into multi panes is very
Ga> cool. I will probably eventually switch over to using it exclusively.

I'm with you on this.

I've been using screen for a loooong time, but discovered tmuxinator for the MAC, with some themes, which provides a nice sexy screen.

So I'm in the process of switching over to tmux and having to learn the tmux way of things - all because of a sexy screen!

I'm probably using 2% of it right now, and its on my list to understand it more, but thats enough for me to be dangerous now.

....δεσ∩

.... Money can't buy friends but you can get a better class of enemy.

---
■ Synchronet ■ Alterant | an SBBS in Docker on Pi!

Re: Screen or tmux?

<608D4D75.403.dove-unix@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=771&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#771

From: gamgee@VERT/PALANT (Gamgee)
To: deon
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 00:20:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: Gamgee - Sat, 1 May 2021 05:20 UTC

-=> deon wrote to Gamgee <=-

Ga> Okay. The commands are all customizable if desired... I've always used
Ga> screen too, but have been playing with tmux some lately. It does have
Ga> some VERY nice features, and is very configurable. I especially like
Ga> being able to have more than one "window" available (proper term might
Ga> be "session", I'm not sure). Also splitting it into multi panes is very
Ga> cool. I will probably eventually switch over to using it exclusively.

de> I'm with you on this.

de> I've been using screen for a loooong time, but discovered
de> tmuxinator for the MAC, with some themes, which provides a nice
de> sexy screen.

de> So I'm in the process of switching over to tmux and having to
de> learn the tmux way of things - all because of a sexy screen!

Cosmetic appeal is very important to most people. I don't use a Mac,
but I bet it looks good!

de> I'm probably using 2% of it right now, and its on my list to
de> understand it more, but thats enough for me to be dangerous now.

I'm in the same place. I really like it and am going to get better at
using it, at least the basics. The multi-pane stuff (split windows) is
especially attractive to me.

.... How do they get Teflon to stick to the pans?
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Screen or tmux?

<60914C34.2675.dove.dove-nix@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=792&group=DOVE-Net.Unix#792

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Arelor
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 00:01:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Unix
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 07:01 UTC

-=> Arelor wrote to Gamgee <=-

Ar> In the end of the day it is just another Vim vs Emacs war.

Makes me want to dig up my old geek code block and update it to add a screen
multiplexer listing.

.... Look at the order in which you do things
--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
� Synchronet � realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org