From: hollowone@VERT/BEERS20 (hollowone)
To: MRO
Subject: Re: Skype video calling
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 03:29:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: hollowone - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 03:29 UTC

MR> i looked up where it came from and emailed the sysop.
MR> it looks like a stock synchronet system.

How do you deal with such issues as sysops of individual boards and or FTN networks? You find a rogue BBS and cut it off the network?

-h1

.... Xerox Alto was the thing. Anything after we use is just a mere copy.

Re: Skype video calling

<64D1148C.5165.dove.hardware@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=78&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#78

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: hollowone
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 08:06:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 15:06 UTC

-=> hollowone wrote to MRO <=-

ho> How do you deal with such issues as sysops of individual boards and or
ho> FTN networks? You find a rogue BBS and cut it off the network?

No one's spammed networks intentionally, as far as I know.
Misconfigurations or liberal configurations seem to be the culprit.

It used to be you could have some faith that things you posted on BBSes
stayed on the networks - but too many people have allowed access to
their message bases via the web and they've been crawled by Google and
other search indexes.

In all fairness, I've needed to look up a Synchronet issue that I know
was discussed, and I'll google it - even though there's a copy of the
very message I'm looking for on my system. There is some advantage.

.... Have you ever seen anything like this place?
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: Skype video calling

<64D16F6C.1362.dove-net2005@conchaos.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=83&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#83

From: candycane@VERT/CONCHAOS (candycane)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 18:25:48 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: candycane - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 22:25 UTC

Re: Re: Skype video calling
By: poindexter FORTRAN to hollowone on Mon Aug 07 2023 08:06 am

PF> Misconfigurations or liberal configurations seem to be the culprit.

PF> It used to be you could have some faith that things you posted on BBSes
PF> stayed on the networks - but too many people have allowed access to
PF> their message bases via the web and they've been crawled by Google and
PF> other search indexes.

So someone from the internet like posted an ad and it got forwarded to the area? Or?

candycane

===
user is generated from /dev/urandom

....I want to be what I was when I started to be what I am now.
---
■ Synchronet ■ -=[ ConstructiveChaos BBS | conchaos.synchro.net ]=-

Re: Skype video calling

<64D253B7.5173.dove.hardware@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=85&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#85

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: candycane
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 07:17:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Tue, 8 Aug 2023 14:17 UTC

-=> candycane wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

ca> So someone from the internet like posted an ad and it got forwarded to
ca> the area? Or?

I think it's mostly BBSes with web interfaces. Often they default to
making areas available to unauthenticated users.

I make my local areas available online to guests, and make the networked
echoes require you to log in to the web interface to see.

.... The neuroanatomy of fear and faith share common afferent pathways.
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: Skype video calling

<64D2C3F1.1368.dove-net2005@conchaos.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=88&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#88

From: candycane@VERT/CONCHAOS (candycane)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 18:38:41 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: candycane - Tue, 8 Aug 2023 22:38 UTC

Re: Re: Skype video calling
By: poindexter FORTRAN to candycane on Tue Aug 08 2023 07:17 am

PF> I think it's mostly BBSes with web interfaces. Often they default to
PF> making areas available to unauthenticated users.

PF> I make my local areas available online to guests, and make the networked
PF> echoes require you to log in to the web interface to see.

Ohhh, yea. Maybe an alternative could be posting a message emails it to the sysop so they can verify it? Since there's probably not that many people posting under guest it would be managable I think.

candycane

===
user is generated from /dev/urandom

....I do not often attack the labour party. They do it so well themselves.
---
■ Synchronet ■ -=[ ConstructiveChaos BBS | conchaos.synchro.net ]=-