From: jimmy.anderson@VERT/OTHETA (JIMMY ANDERSON)
To: GAMGEE
Subject: Re: SHIELD PLUS
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 02:33:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: JIMMY ANDERSON - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 02:33 UTC

-=> GAMGEE wrote to JIMMY ANDERSON <=-

GA> I carried a regular Shield 9 for a long while and about a year ago got
GA> the Plus model. There is virtually no difference in physical
GA> dimensions, just a very small bit wider on the grip, not really
GA> noticeable at all. The Plus has a much more textured grip surface,
GA> it's almost like sandpaper, which results in a solid/firm hold on it.
The fact that I can use my existing holster (magazine holsters) is a big
plus to me (no pun intended).

My Shield is the first Gen, so it doesn't have the extra surface that
the 2.0 has, so this would definately be an improvement in that respect.

GA> The increased magazine capacity is a huge bonus and gives peace of
GA> mind. I highly recommend it.

I'm THIS close to ordering one... Smokey Mountain Guns & Ammo has the
best price that I can find right now... $439.99 - free shipping - local
FFL charges a flat $20 cash to handle the transfer ($10 for TICS -
Tennessee Instant Check System, as opposed to NICS - and $10 for 'handling).

GA> I've always thought a .40 cal in a
GA> handgun this small is on the borderline of too "snappy" for effective
GA> follow-up shots.

Well, I'm hoping I NEVER have to fire it in self defense, but you're right...
Shooting at steel/paper in the back yard, there is a LOT of muzzle flip!
My wife's SIG or my son's 9mm Glock though? Super fast follow up shots!

I've always gone with the 'larger hole' thought process. :-) And never
thought that 9mm was NOT adequate, just that given a choice with the same
SIZE gun... I figure the larger hole is worth one or two rounds less.

BUT - when she got her SIG with the huge magazine and the flat trigger?
I was suddenly realizing that having 8 in mine vs, what, 14?, in hers?
I would have to reload once to have the same amount of shots!

And as much as I love the SIG, I wasn't crazy about changing over to
a new 'platform' - she carried a Shield .40 for a while wile I carried
her old 9mm Kel-Tec and once I shot her .40 and realized that it fit
my hand good and all that, well I had to have one. LOL

Again, I like the SIG! No complaints, and I'd be proud to carry one,
but the Shield fits my 'stuff' already, I don't have to get used to
a new gun (again, I NEVER want to have to shoot in self defense, but
I enjoy back yard plinking a LOT - LOL. I have a Sub2000 as a 'truck
gun' and wanted a .40 but couldn't find one at a good price. I bought
the 9mm version, so even though the mags are not interchangable, the
ammo is. :-)

GA> With today's modern ammo, 9mm is perfectly adequate.
GA> The Plus fits and works fine with all existing holsters made for the
GA> original Shield.

Heck - .380 is much more now that it was a few years ago. :-) My wife's
'pocket' pistol she carries when she is not carrying the big one is a
Ruger .380 LCP II (bought it before they introduced the MAX, speaking
of higher capacity :-) ). I wouldn't have ANY problems using it if
I had to!

Thanks for the feedback! Nice to hear a REAL person and not just read
a review. :-)

.... Aibohphobia, n. -- the fear of palindromes.
--- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
■ wcQWK 8.0 ≈ Omicron Theta *Cordova, TN * winserver.org