From: arrl.de.wd1cks@VERT/WLARB (ARRL de WD1CKS)
To: QST
Subject: Former AMSAT Director Andy MacAllister, W5ACM, SK
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 06:05:53 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
 by: ARRL de WD1CKS - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 06:05 UTC

06/01/2021

Former AMSAT Board of Directors member Andy MacAllister, W5ACM, of  Houston,
Texas, died on May 19 after a brief illness. An ARRL and AMSAT Life Member, he
was 68. MacAllister had worked at NASA and was a member of the Johnson Space
Center and Brazos Valley Amateur Radio Clubs. More recently, he was the Chief
Engineer for Rice University's radio station KTRU.

"Andy and I had a great time at many AMSAT symposiums, where we would work
satellites from parking lots of restaurants or outside a hotel," recounted
Bruce Paige, KK5DO, an AMSAT Board member who shared duties with MacAllister on
the Houston AMSAT Net. "During the AMSAT Symposium in 2016, we worked each
other from the deck of the cruise ship when we were standing about 3 feet from
each other."

Paige notes that MacAllister gave presentations and demonstrations at many
hamfests and conventions. He also initiated dozens of ham radio balloon
launches.

The family has requested that donations in MacAllister's name be made to
AMSAT[1] or to the Brazos Valley Amateur Radio Club, PO Box 2997, Sugar Land,
TX 77487-2997 (reference the Andy MacAllister BLT Memorial Fund).

[1] http://www.amsat.org/

---
■ Synchronet ■ Whiskey Lover's Amateur Radio BBS