From: jimmy.anderson@VERT/OTHETA (JIMMY ANDERSON)
To: MOONDOG
Subject: Re: 45 acp amo
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 15:32:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: JIMMY ANDERSON - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 15:32 UTC

-=> MOONDOG wrote to JIMMY ANDERSON <=-

> Same here. Always had a small interest in it. Now that I have a .357
> lever gun I might start loading some .38's... I'd like to cast my
> own bullets too...
>
> Yes, when I bake a pie or cake I like to do it from scratch. :-)
>
MO> I haven't tried casting yet. The club I belong to has yearly bullet
MO> trap cleanouts, so a source of workable lead alloy is not an issue. I
MO> know some who powder coat their cast bullets to reduce barrel fouling.

Been seeing that in the magazines...

.... I don't hallucinate anymore, the Thing driving the UFO cured me...
--- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
■ wcQWK 8.0 ≈ Omicron Theta * Horn Lake, MS * winserver.org

Re: 45 acp amo

<614A730A.2489.dove-gun@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=728&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#728

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: JIMMY ANDERSON
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 13:04:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Moondog - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 17:04 UTC

Re: Re: 45 acp amo
By: JIMMY ANDERSON to MOONDOG on Mon Sep 20 2021 10:32 pm

> -=> MOONDOG wrote to JIMMY ANDERSON <=-
>
> > Same here. Always had a small interest in it. Now that I have a .357
> > lever gun I might start loading some .38's... I'd like to cast my
> > own bullets too...
> >
> > Yes, when I bake a pie or cake I like to do it from scratch. :-)
> >
> MO> I haven't tried casting yet. The club I belong to has yearly bullet
> MO> trap cleanouts, so a source of workable lead alloy is not an issue. I
> MO> know some who powder coat their cast bullets to reduce barrel fouling.
>
> Been seeing that in the magazines...
>

> ... I don't hallucinate anymore, the Thing driving the UFO cured me...

Harbor Frieght sells an inpensive kit and powders, and you can use a toaster
oven to cook the coating on. Some forgo the oven and do a "shake without the
bake" and place some powder coat in a bag with the bullets, and add a bit of
acetone to dissolve the paint. After a shake or two to spread the paint
around, you take them out of the bag and let sunlight cook of fthe acetone
and hardent he powdercoat. It's not as even, so you re-size the coated
bullets. The paint is durable enough it doesn't crack off while sizing.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net