From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Digital Man
Subject: new_file_time, bbs.last_new_file_time
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 03:01:13 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript
 by: Nightfox - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 11:01 UTC

Hi DM,

While looking at the JS docs, I'm curious, what are the differences between user.new_file_time, bbs.new_file_time, and bbs.last_new_file_time? When should those be used (and updated)?

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

new_file_time, bbs.last_new_file_time

<6206C61A.3621.sync-js@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=715&group=DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript#715

From: digital.man@VERT (Digital Man)
To: Nightfox
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 05:24:58 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Javascript
 by: Digital Man - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 13:24 UTC

Re: new_file_time, bbs.last_new_file_time
By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Fri Feb 11 2022 10:01 am

> Hi DM,
>
> While looking at the JS docs, I'm curious, what are the differences between
> user.new_file_time, bbs.new_file_time, and bbs.last_new_file_time? When
> should those be used (and updated)?

Upon logon to the terminal server, bbs.new_file_time and bbs.last_new_file_time are set to the current user.new_file_time value.

A new file scan displays files uploaded (added/imported) since the current bbs.new_file_time value. The bbs.new_file_time value can be manipulated by the user, e.g. they want to review files that have been uploaded over the past month or whatever.

When the user executes a new file scan, bbs.last_new_file_time is updated to the current time (this happens automatically when using the built-in file listing logic). The bbs.last_new_file_time isn't actually used for anything until the user logs-off and its value is then copied to the user.new_file_time to be used for the next logon (this copy/sync of the last_new_file_time -> user.new_file_time is built-in to the BBS's logout logci and nothing a script would need to do).

This scheme insures that a user will never "miss" the display of new files on the BBS and that they would not normally see the same/repeat "new" files between successive sessions.
--
digital man (rob)

Rush quote #60:
Plays fast forward just long as he can, he won't need a bed, he's a digital man
Norco, CA WX: 83.6°F, 18.0% humidity, 5 mph WSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net