From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Bencollver
Subject: How far I've come...
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 05:25:51 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 11:25 UTC

Re: How far I've come...
By: Bencollver to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jan 23 2023 11:50 am

> Nice job! I remember being in a similar situation with a "homebrew" amd64
> server that i inherited. These had metal screws. Servicing the fans helped
> for a while but i eventually had to replace them. I've broken newer and
> smaller hardware that has more plastic parts, so i understand the feeling of
> relief when it still works after reassembly.

yeah but these fans are the cheapest money can buy. they also run nonstop.
if you experience any problems, you should just replace instead of trying to repair. if something is worn out, grease and cleaning won't get you anywhere.
I've been an electronics tech for over 17 years and I used to do RMAs every
once in a while. I serviced electronics controls for transmissions and other things. I've seen it all.

---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

How far I've come...

<63D012A5.11244.dove-hlp@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=677&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#677

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: MRO
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 05:17:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Moondog - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 10:17 UTC

Re: How far I've come...
By: MRO to Bencollver on Mon Jan 23 2023 12:25 pm

> Re: How far I've come...
> By: Bencollver to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jan 23 2023 11:50 am
>
> > Nice job! I remember being in a similar situation with a "homebrew" amd6
> > server that i inherited. These had metal screws. Servicing the fans hel
> > for a while but i eventually had to replace them. I've broken newer and
> > smaller hardware that has more plastic parts, so i understand the feeling
> > relief when it still works after reassembly.
>
> yeah but these fans are the cheapest money can buy. they also run nonstop.
> if you experience any problems, you should just replace instead of trying to
> I've been an electronics tech for over 17 years and I used to do RMAs every
> once in a while. I serviced electronics controls for transmissions and other

What is the reason for plastic screws? Do they abosrb shock, or deaden
vibration? Back in the 90's some hard drive makerd would mount their drived in
a frame with rubber bushings.

The worst vibration I ran into was from a game cd that had heavy silk screenin
g that was uneven. It worked fine in most cd drives, except for one. Not
sure if that drive was out of spec, but when that cd was inserted, it
rumbled like a washing machine with an unbalanced wash load.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

How far I've come...

<63D05BCD.1136.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=679&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#679

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Moondog
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 09:29:33 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:29 UTC

Re: How far I've come...
By: Moondog to MRO on Tue Jan 24 2023 12:17 pm

> What is the reason for plastic screws? Do they abosrb shock, or deaden
> vibration? Back in the 90's some hard drive makerd would mount their drived
> in a frame with rubber bushings.
>
> The worst vibration I ran into was from a game cd that had heavy silk
> screenin g that was uneven. It worked fine in most cd drives, except for
> one. Not
> sure if that drive was out of spec, but when that cd was inserted, it
> rumbled like a washing machine with an unbalanced wash load.

it was just to be stupid. they tried all kinds of weird shit.
look at all the weird levers and trays that have always been in dells.

i wouldn't trust a non metal screw, there's a risk they'd snap eventually if
someone messed with them enough.

---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

How far I've come...

<63D0B947.11248.dove-hlp@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=680&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#680

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: MRO
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 17:08:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Moondog - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 22:08 UTC

Re: How far I've come...
By: MRO to Moondog on Tue Jan 24 2023 04:29 pm

> Re: How far I've come...
> By: Moondog to MRO on Tue Jan 24 2023 12:17 pm
>

> > What is the reason for plastic screws? Do they abosrb shock, or deaden
> > vibration? Back in the 90's some hard drive makerd would mount their dri
> > in a frame with rubber bushings.
> >
> > The worst vibration I ran into was from a game cd that had heavy silk
> > screenin g that was uneven. It worked fine in most cd drives, except for
> > one. Not
> > sure if that drive was out of spec, but when that cd was inserted, it
> > rumbled like a washing machine with an unbalanced wash load.
>
> it was just to be stupid. they tried all kinds of weird shit.
> look at all the weird levers and trays that have always been in dells.
>
> i wouldn't trust a non metal screw, there's a risk they'd snap eventually if
> someone messed with them enough.

When I worked for ZDS, they had some systems they produced under the internal
name of NDL - new design line. This was their attempt make a tool-free or
minimal tool system similar to IBM's PS2 cases with interlocvking trays, clips,
and friction fit pieces. Anyways, lack of screws and fasteners resulted in
cases that could flex, in effect boards and connectors could loosen up over
time. The field service bulletins would point out a probelm spotted in the fi
eld, then provide the enginering solution. Several of the "solutions" were
to replace plastic clips with screws and tie down loose pieces with zip ties.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

How far I've come...

<63D113F6.1138.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=681&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#681

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Moondog
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 22:35:18 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 04:35 UTC

Re: How far I've come...
By: Moondog to MRO on Wed Jan 25 2023 12:08 am

> When I worked for ZDS, they had some systems they produced under the
> internal name of NDL - new design line. This was their attempt make a
> tool-free or minimal tool system similar to IBM's PS2 cases with
> interlocvking trays, clips, and friction fit pieces. Anyways, lack of
> screws and fasteners resulted in cases that could flex, in effect boards and
> connectors could loosen up over time. The field service bulletins would
> point out a probelm spotted in the fi eld, then provide the enginering
> solution. Several of the "solutions" were
> to replace plastic clips with screws and tie down loose pieces with zip
> ties.

my experience with engineers is they are generally not brilliant and do not see things that are obvious to other people. maybe this because they are getting their education just for the job and they have no real interest. i've also worked with engineers who just like to tinker around and play but don't produce results.

at my old job we had to hire an old retired engineer to come up with a fix for complicated issue. it was a magnet. it worked better than every other application they tried.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

How far I've come...

<63D1B371.11251.dove-hlp@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=684&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#684

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: MRO
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 10:55:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Moondog - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 15:55 UTC

Re: How far I've come...
By: MRO to Moondog on Wed Jan 25 2023 05:35 am

> my experience with engineers is they are generally not brilliant and do not
> s who just like to tinker around and play but don't produce results.
>
> at my old job we had to hire an old retired engineer to come up with a fix f

It is like the car crash testing before the emphasis on side and corner
impacts. Cars were designed to survive head on impacts, and tested insuch a w
ay that proved they were effective. Over time they realized cars rarely
crashed head on and the corners were the source of criticial damage and
injuries. I have to wonder about how the testing compared to real world
handling and vibration. One time we had a Gateway that would work in the
lab, then fail in the field. It was their attempt at a tool free metal
frame, and developed a twist in the sheet metal which would cause the video
card to shift position when moved. The only way to resolve the issue was
send it back to Gateway and get a machine that didn't have a twisted chassis.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net