From: hustler@VERT/DMINE (Hustler)
To: Joe Phigan
Subject: Halt and Catch Fire
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 00:47:35 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Entertainment
 by: Hustler - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 04:47 UTC

Re: Halt and Catch Fire
By: Joe Phigan to Kaelon on Mon May 02 2022 01:46 am

JP> Re: Halt and Catch Fire
JP> By: Kaelon to All on Sun May 01 2022 14:54:45

>> Has anyone else here seen it? What do you think about the show?

Absolutley loved it! Best TV Series I've seen in a very long time. Bindge watched most of it. ;-)

---
■ Synchronet ■ Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net:24 - Fredericksburg, VA USA

Re: Halt and Catch Fire

<6314C171.36317.dove.dove-ent@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=706&group=DOVE-Net.Entertainment#706

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Hustler
Subject: Re: Halt and Catch Fire
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 00:30:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Entertainment
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 07:30 UTC

-=> Hustler wrote to Joe Phigan <=-

>> Has anyone else here seen it? What do you think about the show?

Hu> Absolutley loved it! Best TV Series I've seen in a very long time.
Hu> Bindge watched most of it.

I just re-watched the tail end of season 4. Great show.

I want a present-day season 5.

.... Abandon desire
--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: Halt and Catch Fire

<631626B7.12964.dove-ent@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=714&group=DOVE-Net.Entertainment#714

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 05:41:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Entertainment
 by: Moondog - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 09:41 UTC

Re: Re: Halt and Catch Fire
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Hustler on Tue Aug 30 2022 07:30 am

> -=> Hustler wrote to Joe Phigan <=-
>
> >> Has anyone else here seen it? What do you think about the show?
>
> Hu> Absolutley loved it! Best TV Series I've seen in a very long time.
> Hu> Bindge watched most of it.
>

> I just re-watched the tail end of season 4. Great show.
>
> I want a present-day season 5.
>

> ... Abandon desire

i would prefer they stuck with the small jumps in time, and show the later
half of the 90's after the dot com boom and when file sharing services were
hot. Remember Pointcast? Companies hated it because it consumed so much
bandwith. Distributed computing was also new, so there's lots to play with
in that era. Pre-google search engine wars was big, too.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Re: Halt and Catch Fire

<63164A5A.2790.dove-ent@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=715&group=DOVE-Net.Entertainment#715

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Moondog
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 07:13:30 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Entertainment
 by: MRO - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 12:13 UTC

Re: Re: Halt and Catch Fire
By: Moondog to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Sep 05 2022 12:41 pm

> i would prefer they stuck with the small jumps in time, and show the later
> half of the 90's after the dot com boom and when file sharing services were
> hot. Remember Pointcast? Companies hated it because it consumed so much
> bandwith. Distributed computing was also new, so there's lots to play with

i dont know of any company that used pointcast. i looked it up and internet sez it's like a screensaver that showed real time info.

---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: Halt and Catch Fire

<631742A1.12972.dove-ent@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=720&group=DOVE-Net.Entertainment#720

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: MRO
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 01:52:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Entertainment
 by: Moondog - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 05:52 UTC

Re: Re: Halt and Catch Fire
By: MRO to Moondog on Mon Sep 05 2022 02:13 pm

> Re: Re: Halt and Catch Fire
> By: Moondog to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Sep 05 2022 12:41 pm
>
> > i would prefer they stuck with the small jumps in time, and show the late
> > half of the 90's after the dot com boom and when file sharing services w
> > hot. Remember Pointcast? Companies hated it because it consumed so much
> > bandwith. Distributed computing was also new, so there's lots to play wi
>
> i dont know of any company that used pointcast. i looked it up and internet

Pointcast wasn't used. Users would install it on their systems and use it to
stream news, sports scores or stock information. Same thing with limewire,
napster,and other programs that would install adware or eat bandwidth. I had
a friend that was assigned to a project to help reduce bandwidth consumption
for a big corporation. He would skim through internet logs, and flag
non-critical sites that were taking up user's time and eating bandwidth and su
bmit them to another team that would add them to be blocked or set off alerts
when accessed. This was before established firewall programs came out with
most of the common websites already on the block list.

When I worked in nuclear generation we had lots of issues with searches
bringing up undesirable results. Connectors would be either male or female,
or somemone would be looking for petcock valves. We also had several
employees or contractors that would be from countries other than the US, and
surfing Asian, Indian, or Eastern European sites would get flagged right
away. One employee who kept his Chinese national status so he could return
some day would access news sites and streaming video sites at work. Some of
these required special plug-ins which would set off virus scanners or
firewall intrusion alerts.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Re: Halt and Catch Fire

<6317EB98.29763.dove-net2003@conchaos.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=721&group=DOVE-Net.Entertainment#721

From: bex@VERT/CONCHAOS (bex)
To: MRO
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 06:43:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Entertainment
 by: bex - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 10:43 UTC

-=> MRO wrote to Moondog <=-

MR> Re: Re: Halt and Catch Fire
MR> By: Moondog to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Sep 05 2022 12:41 pm

> hot. Remember Pointcast? Companies hated it because it consumed so much
> bandwith. Distributed computing was also new, so there's lots to play with

MR> i dont know of any company that used pointcast. i looked it up and
MR> internet sez it's like a screensaver that showed real time info.

I worked at HP when Pointcast came out. It brought the local network down
to its knees every time that a new story was pushed, or a weather update,
or a score update, or an editor would publish a retraction, or...

The 90s were a weird time for consumer internet applications.

-+- Brightening your day. -Bex <3

.... *Fry: Sweet justice! Sweet, juicy justice!
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
� Synchronet � -=[ conchaos.synchro.net | ConstructiveChaos BBS ]=-